The British Virgin Islands: Part II - Preview

Page 1 of 3123>
January 6th, 2015 at 12:33:28 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
I'm headed back in a few weeks time, I figured I'd open this up to advice and "things you want to see".

Like last time, Ash and I will accompany Mr. and Mrs. Fed. We have lost the sailing B-i-L, so all of his responsibilities now fall on me. Co-captaining, tying off, navigation, I'll need to play a big part. That's no big deal; gimme a quick refresher on knot tying and I'll be good to go. But we have one hell of a curve ball thrown to us this time...

Mayhem. Herr Krauza, mayhem coordinator extraordinaire, is accompanying us for this go around. You may remember Mayhem from the hockey trip reports. The mimosas at 6a? Mayhem. The new batch of moonshine for every state we enter? Mayhem. The strip club in downtown Detroit? Mayhem. No matter the question, no matter the idea, Mayhem is all about it. Imagine the leader of a college frat house. The one that's gonna start the beer blast at 3:30p on Friday and instead of closing with the keg, will keep it going for the entire weekend, maybe even stretch it into Monday. That's Mayhem.

A 14yr old's energy with a 19yr old's drinking ability in a 55yr old's body. Mayhem. And he's along for the ride with us.

Some of the stuff we'll repeat. The Baths are a definite, and I plan to GoPro the hike as well. The private island of Sandy Cay will likely be another stop, and of course, there will be daily fishing. I've respooled my big rig with 65# braid and stainless steel leaders, ensuring I won't miss another tarpon. Big fish will be a high priority target for this go around. I'll be GoPro'ing hikes, fishing, and of course, the dives.

Our 47' boat got upgraded to a four berth catamaran. We might be able to get some rigging to do some mast swings from on high, letting go and doing our best Greg Louganis. Who knows? We'll have a lot more room, and without a sea-scared passenger, will be able to loose the sails and really cover some ground.

This trip will also start out interesting, as we're going to attempt a bit of smuggling. Apparently any meats imported need a USDA tag, which elk on the hoof obviously does not have. But elk is delicious, and we're gonna have it. Or try, anyways. I dunno what fines we risk, but whatever it is, it's worth it. I've been dreaming about this elk dinner for two years. Where better to have it than the high seas?

So for those who tagged along for my last travelogue, what did I miss last time? What do you want to see more of (besides pics of hotties, I already have that on the list ;)). Where should I have gone, what should I have skipped?

Gimme some ideas and I'll do my best.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
January 6th, 2015 at 12:42:24 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
first a guy must get past the jealousy phase before the "gimme ideas" phase*
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
January 6th, 2015 at 12:56:36 PM permalink
Face
Quote: odiousgambit
first a guy must get past the jealousy phase before the "gimme ideas" phase*

Can you procure $2,500?

Can you free up 10 days of time?

If so, there's a cure for your envy. Just sayin' =)
January 6th, 2015 at 1:51:19 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
thanks for the offer, but the time frame won't work

not only that, but my concern that I "can't hang" with the likes of the lucky ones going is still there .... B^D [see note]

PS: lots of pictures and stories involving Mayhem please
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
January 6th, 2015 at 2:10:00 PM permalink
Face
Quote: odiousgambit
thanks for the offer, but the time frame won't work

Sorry, did you already schedule your death for February? Just 'cause 2 weeks doesn't work doesn't mean two years can't =)

Quote: OG
not only that, but my concern that I "can't hang" with the likes of the lucky ones going is still there .... B^D [see note]

You'd be fine. Often times when I hang out with members of the hockey crew I abstain from the breakfast beers and don't start drinking until after dinner. Just because they're annihilated doesn't mean I have to be. You can set your own pace, hell, you can be dry all week if you want. No pressure =)

Although I worry a bit for this year. Last year I was drinking at least half the week all winter. Weekends were post-hockey bar nights, weekdays found me in the shop working on the car. A few times I drank all 7 days. Might have only been 2 or 3 a day, but I drank 'em. Now, I'm having about 3 beers once a week, after hockey only. Sometimes I just eat and drink Pepsi, or skip the bar altogether and just go home. So low tolerance, and now Mayhem?

Quote: OG
PS: lots of pictures and stories involving Mayhem please

Oh, that's a given. I've been rolling with this guy for 16 years now. And every outing, I still find myself surprised.

It's going to be a beautiful disaster =)
January 6th, 2015 at 2:58:54 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Face, I didn't read your first part but just wondering a few things.

Which port are you leaving from? We left out of Tortola when we rented yachts.

Which company are you renting from? We used Moorings and loved it.

Are you barebacking? We hired the captain and chef and did the all-inclusive package.

Did you stop at the William Thorton last time? If not, give it a try. It is just an old sailing ship in the water that has been converted into a party barge. Just sail your dinghy right up to it and jump on.

Go to Norman Island and try and find some hidden treasure.

It's been a while since I sailed the Virgin Islands so I don't remember a lot of names and places, but it is the best vacation I have ever had.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
January 6th, 2015 at 3:07:16 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Ain't no such thing as a co-captain on a boat. Even the Anarchists who do some of the most challenging sailing in those waters acknowledge that.

Elk meat ain't nearly as bad as smuggling a gun or a cartridge.

Always know your position and water depth.

Know that a catamaran does tend to be subject to wind on the beam turtling.

And above all, .... protect Ashley from those crazed Coconut Crabs seeking out her big toes.... know what channel you need to radio for help on at all times. Its usually Channel 16 but some Rescue services are privatized.
January 6th, 2015 at 3:21:20 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
What's amazing is you still have the same
GF from last year. What's wrong with her.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 6th, 2015 at 4:27:44 PM permalink
Face
Quote: DRich
Face, I didn't read your first part...

Then please do. You know, whenever you get bored. It might refresh some good memories for you =)

We leave out of Tortola. Conch Charters, if memory serves.

We're Marco Solo. It's me, The Fed, and Mayhem, each of our respective lady friends, and that's it. All the work of having to do the boat yourself is half the fun =)

We hit the Willy T. I think I described it as "a modern day Sodom and Gomorah". It was our first stop and my first taste of local culture. We'll likely be back ;)

I've not heard of treasure.

It was the best vacation I ever had.
January 6th, 2015 at 7:59:47 PM permalink
Face
Quote: Fleastiff
Ain't no such thing as a co-captain on a boat. Even the Anarchists who do some of the most challenging sailing in those waters acknowledge that.

You know what I mean. A quartermaster, then. Someone that knows what he's doing and can manage if the Captain falls ill (or falls over drunk). Mayhem can be the Powder Monkey.

Always know your position and water depth.

And that your ship has a keel! Took forever for that to sink in.

Know that a catamaran does tend to be subject to wind on the beam turtling.

Page 1 of 3123>