Catholic sacrament of the week.

Page 3 of 14<123456>Last »
January 14th, 2015 at 6:17:56 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Wizard

I think you forgot to put on your priest outfit with that answer.

I'm not entirely sure that doing so isn't offensive. Like wearing a headdress or touching the Stanley Cup without earning it =/

Like it or not, the Catholic church has 2,000 years of doctrine and procedure. When you and I start a religion I will have no problem with your way, but here is what About Catholics.com says:

I neither like it or don't. This is my first foray down this path and have yet to form an opinion.

But I would bet, at 5:1 odds if I had money, that FrG will agree with me =)

Additionally, your link starts with "Anyone can perform a baptism". It follows with a bunch of "however"s, but none of them negate the first sentence.

I stand by my claim.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
January 14th, 2015 at 6:57:26 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Catholics
Anyone can perform a baptism, however this is typically done only in extreme cases in which someone’s life is in danger.

That made me LOL. Quick, he's dying, perform
a baptism. Like it has any real significance in
the universe. Our ego's are boundless, it
seems. Because that's what we want to preserve
after we die, our frail and fickle little ego's.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 14th, 2015 at 7:10:40 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Face
But I would bet, at 5:1 odds if I had money, that FrG will agree with me =)

Additionally, your link starts with "Anyone can perform a baptism". It follows with a bunch of "however"s, but none of them negate the first sentence.

I stand by my claim.

Okay, for purposes of the bet, how exactly shall we phrase it? I'd like a qualifier that it be for ordinary baptisms and not "emergency" ones.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 14th, 2015 at 9:48:57 PM permalink
Face
Define "emergency".

I'm not good at airtight legal speak. I typically can only manage poorly thought out examples rife with loopholes. So try this one.

Face is a godless heathen, but he digs the teachings of Jesus. This appreciation grows into love, love into faith. Now heathen Face wants to convert.

But Face is turned off by the church. Godly men they may be, they are men. Holy the Bible may be, it was written by men. He doesn't trust men. But he does trust God.

He wishes to give himself to God. He goes to his local crick, alone. He palavers with God. And then, he performs his rite. He bathes himself in the crick (with this water and by your grace, you wash away the sin), he bathes himself (I accept you as my One True God), he bathes himself (I put my faith in You, and accept your love). And more than the actions, more than the words, he feels the exchange in his heart.

Is Face baptized?

This situation is not extreme, it is not an emergency. There was no authority present; not a bishop, minister, deacon, or other. He might not find a church that will accept him, but as far as what matters, being recognized by God, I think FrG will confirm that he accomplished his goal. Is Face baptized? FrG will say yes.
January 14th, 2015 at 10:04:47 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
I think FrG would say that you are "baptized by desire" and you would win that wording. I'm trying to say that they wouldn't have a Jewish rabbi or a Bhuddist Monk perform an official Catholic baptism, even if said people were close friends with the Pope. My point is about the ceremony not on who god may or may not consider officially baptized.

p.s. It is a creek, not a crick.
January 14th, 2015 at 10:43:44 PM permalink
Evenbob

p.s. It is a creek, not a crick.

They're cricks where I live. Creeks are
in poems. This baptism talk is making
me think you guys take all this mumbo
jumbo religious fakery seriously. It's
just a ceremony to draw people into the
fold even further. Layers and layers
of meaningless rites and jargon, all
designed to make people true believers.

It all starts with original sin. If you can't
sell me on that, you're just peeing into
the wind on the rest of it. Save it for the
choir, they really enjoy pep talks.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 14th, 2015 at 11:08:11 PM permalink
Face
I think FrG would say that you are "baptized by desire" and you would win that wording. I'm trying to say that they wouldn't have a Jewish rabbi or a Bhuddist Monk perform an official Catholic baptism, even if said people were close friends with the Pope. My point is about the ceremony not on who god may or may not consider officially baptized.

Hmm. I think you'd win on that point. Makes sense that a Catholic ceremony would need Catholic oversight, ie. a minister. And no, no one not of that faith, or of another faith, would likely not be able to do so.
January 14th, 2015 at 11:42:49 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Face
And no, no one not of that faith, or of another faith, would likely not be able to do so.

To do WHAT? It's nothing but meaningless words,
there is no substance behind it. Anybody can
perform a baptism, a 4 year old could do it. It's
superstitious nonsense, quit acting like it's real
and means something.
January 15th, 2015 at 2:57:42 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Evenbob
To do WHAT? It's nothing but meaningless words,there is no substance behind it.

You are going to need some material when you meet St Peter at the Golden Gate. Maybe if you can get him laughing hard enough he will drop your records.

Two priests died at the same time and met Saint Peter at the Pearly Gates. St. Peter said, "I'd like to get you guys in now, but our computer's down. You'll have to go back to Earth for about a week, but you can't go back as humans. What'll it be?"

The first priest says, "I've always wanted to be an eagle, soaring above the Rocky mountains." "So be it," says St. Peter, and off flies the first priest. The second priest mulls this over for a moment and asks, "Will any of this week 'count', St. Peter?" "No, I told you the computer's down. There's no way we can keep track of what you're doing. The week's a freebie." "In that case," says the second priest, "I've always wanted to be a stud.""So be it," says St. Peter, and the second priest disappears. A week goes by, the computer is fixed, and the Lord tells St. Peter to recall the two priests.

"Will you have any trouble locating them?" He asks. "The first one should be easy," says St. Peter. "He's somewhere over the Rockies, flying with the eagles. But the second one could prove to be more difficult." "Why?" asketh the Lord. St. Peter answered, "He's on a snow tire, somewhere in North Dakota."
January 15th, 2015 at 6:32:48 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Evenbob
They're cricks where I live. Creeks are
in poems.

Seems to me everyone says "creek" on the west coast. I'll give it to you that the hicks in western Maryland say "crick."

Quote:
This baptism talk is making
me think you guys take all this mumbo
jumbo religious fakery seriously. It's
just a ceremony to draw people into the
fold even further. Layers and layers
of meaningless rites and jargon, all
designed to make people true believers.

I think all could agree that the ceremonies and rituals make Catholicism more fun and interesting.

Don't you appreciate the love learning? You should at least have the same interest in this topic as you would Greek mythology.

On another topic, would either Paco or Face like to do some of the other sacraments?
Page 3 of 14<123456>Last »