Pete Carroll

Page 1 of 3123>
February 2nd, 2015 at 3:43:22 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
"Let me just tell you what happened," coach Pete Carroll said afterward. "Because as you know, the game comes right down and all the things that happened before are meaningless." "We sent in our personnel, they sent in their goal-line [unit]. It was not the right matchup for us to run the football, so on second down we throw the ball to really kind of waste that play. If we score, we do, if we don't, then we run it on third and fourth down."

Huh?

Por nada!
February 2nd, 2015 at 4:42:23 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Pete Carroll
...they sent in their goal-line [unit]. It was not the right matchup for us to run the football, so on second down we throw the ball to really kind of waste that play...

Because... goal line formation can only be used on 2nd down? What, did he think that for 3rd they'll go Nickel, and 4th they'll run 3-4?

Wtf is this guy on about?
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
February 2nd, 2015 at 5:59:33 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: Face
Quote: Pete Carroll
...they sent in their goal-line [unit]. It was not the right matchup for us to run the football, so on second down we throw the ball to really kind of waste that play...

Because... goal line formation can only be used on 2nd down? What, did he think that for 3rd they'll go Nickel, and 4th they'll run 3-4?

Wtf is this guy on about?

I understand the idea. With the goal line unit, the secondary plans man coverage. Get a good match up, pass. They've sent out the standard package not the jumbo (why, I dunno).

I don't think the pass here is totally stupid (but Lynch yadda yadda, number 1 defence yadda yadda, who cares if the Pats have 20 seconds of ball, stop 'em), just the play made. I've seen this with Wilson, he can get stuck with his first receiver too long. In this case, they have a nice match up on the right, two-on two, Lynch goes into the flat left. Here Butler makes a guess that the space underneath is the target. Running Lockette on a corner route, or Kearse on an in out would have made more sense, to get the two CBs in trouble with each other. We'd seen a pick play earlier.

Again, pass sure, but pass away from trouble.

Fair play to the Pats, the better team on the day, and you can't fault Belichick's ability to prepare a team. Brady's not bad either....
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
February 2nd, 2015 at 6:16:14 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: TheCesspit
Brady's not bad either....

Must not... abuse... mod privileges...

Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
February 2nd, 2015 at 7:15:47 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Quote: Face
Must not... abuse... mod privileges...

Laugh. Every time Brady's petulant face gets ground into the dirt by a sack, or he sulks on the sideline with no friends, I smile. I can't stand him or his attitude. Though I hope every game is his last, I also respect that Darth Hoody and the #12 are probably the two best guys out there in football in their positions.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
February 2nd, 2015 at 7:20:34 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Let me follow this up by saying is Suh leaves Detroit, the only way it feels better is if he plays for the Jets, Phins or Bills, so Brady be introduced to him twice a year, with twice the chance that Suh's foot 'slips' again.
February 2nd, 2015 at 7:25:28 PM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
"Hey Pete Carroll, you wanna win the Superbowl?"

"Naw...I'll pass."
February 3rd, 2015 at 6:18:28 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
One thing's been overlooked in the bad call discussion.

New England had the ball at the 0.5 yard line with 25 or so seconds left. If Brady kneeled down it would have been a safety. Perforce the Pats had to move the ball forward a few yards, and in the attempt anything could happen (fumble, interception, safety). But the Seahawks obliged the Pats with a 5-yard encroachment penalty, thus letting Brady kneel down safely.

The odds would have been dismal. But suppose the Seahawks got a safety. Then the score would have been 28-26, and they'd have 20+ seconds and one time out. New England punts from their 20, giving Seattle decent field position. It wouldn't have been impossible to run two or three plays, then kick a field goal.

That was a costly 5-yard penalty.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 5th, 2015 at 7:12:06 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
When you see the replay of the Bad Call, pause and count.

New England had 9 guys on the line, Seattle had 7. There's no way anyone is going to run straight into the end zone that way.

Here's the play I'd have made:

Put 9 guys on the line, Wilson and Lynch in the backfield. Hand the ball over to Lynch, who then runs to the left in a diagonal line. Wilson tries to block. In the meantime the tight end slinks to the right towards the end zone. Halfway through his run, which by now has drawn 11 Patriot defenders towards him, Lynch turns around and passes the ball to the TE standing alone in the right.

this probably wouldn't have worked, but you eat the clock and most likely wind up with an incomplete pass. Maybe you trick NE into thinking you'll be passing in the next play, too. If so, you run.

This is highly unfair, too. I'm sure Carroll has a tad more experience and knowledge of the game than I do. He also had a lot less time to think about what play to run right then.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 5th, 2015 at 7:14:32 AM permalink
chickenman
Threads: 0
Quote: Nareed

Here's the play I'd have made:

Put 9 guys on the line, Wilson and Lynch in the backfield.
Illegal formation, five yard penalty. Now you're at the six and almost have to pass.
He's everywhere, he's everywhere...!
Page 1 of 3123>