Better Call Saul

May 24th, 2017 at 6:31:51 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
A close friend of mine, who I hope doesn't read this, claims to have Chuck's condition, but to a lesser degree. Once when I was driving him to the airport I asked him to answer my ringing cell phone and he made a huge show about how painful it was to put my phone close to his head. After the call, I challenged him to a bet that he couldn't tell when the phone was close to his head wearing a blindfold. He said something to the effect that his life was worth more than money.

Bottom line is that in most things it is a matter of degree. There are lots of things that are safe in lose doses but dangerous in large ones.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
May 24th, 2017 at 6:48:18 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Wizard
bet that he couldn't tell when the phone was close to his head wearing a blindfold. He said something to the effect that his life was worth more than money.

It's a lame excuse to get them out of
facing whatever it is they don't want
to deal with. It's a psychosomatic
disease treatable by a shrink.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 24th, 2017 at 8:19:27 PM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
Can someone explain to me how the geeky baseball card/drug rep guy was in this episode, when he was near the end of Breaking Bad as a new character? How is this foreshadowing? They're mixing time lines here?
May 25th, 2017 at 4:38:11 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
A good many people claim to be 'allergic' to modern chemicals, cleaning products, perfumes, etc. some even live in remote towns where their UPS driver delivers all parcels to an airing shed and the residents go there to pick up their deliveries.

In actuality, it is simply classical conditioning similar to Pavlov ringing that darn bell.

The 'secondary gain' plays a vital role too.
May 25th, 2017 at 5:25:25 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Fleastiff
A good many people claim to be 'allergic' to modern chemicals, cleaning products, perfumes, etc. some even live in remote towns where their UPS driver delivers all parcels to an airing shed and the residents go there to pick up their deliveries.

In actuality, it is simply classical conditioning similar to Pavlov ringing that darn bell.

The 'secondary gain' plays a vital role too.

I used to have to deal with this as a PCO all the time. This smells, that smells, this does this to me.

Sometimes it was to get over on the boss. Story was one place two women always complained. So they told us to come in and spray water. Women complained. Company had them on the spot. Didn't hear how it turned out.

The attitude between the blue collar places and white collar was amazing, too.
The President is a fink.
May 25th, 2017 at 10:44:25 AM permalink
Evenbob
Jimmy trying to get a refund on his
insurance was silly. He's still a member
of the state bar even while suspended.
He can be sued by a client any time.
And he wasn't there to rat out Chuck,
he mentioned the insurance in the
last episode. No real lawyer would even
consider asking for a refund.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 25th, 2017 at 11:46:09 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Evenbob
Jimmy trying to get a refund on his
insurance was silly. He's still a member
of the state bar even while suspended.
He can be sued by a client any time.
And he wasn't there to rat out Chuck,

I think he was there to rat out Chuck, as evidenced by his triumphant facial expression in the very last shot of the episode.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
May 25th, 2017 at 11:50:09 AM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: ams288
I think he was there to rat out Chuck, as evidenced by his triumphant facial expression in the very last shot of the episode.

Like I said, he mentioned the refund earlier.
I think he was genuinely shocked at how
much his rates would go up and that's
when he decided to take Chuck down with
him.
May 25th, 2017 at 7:10:38 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Like I said, he mentioned the refund earlier.
I think he was genuinely shocked at how
much his rates would go up and that's
when he decided to take Chuck down with
him.

I think there is more than revenge to his motives. We shall see.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
May 25th, 2017 at 8:37:58 PM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
No real lawyer would even consider asking for a refund.

Not all of the audience would know that. Maybe even the writer didn't know that, if true. It's writer's license.