Do it yourself

August 8th, 2021 at 8:24:50 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Good grief.

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 9th, 2021 at 4:30:07 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Learning how to make concrete walls for a raised bed. Thinking they can be sold for decent profit as well. Once the forms are made I figure $20 or so to make sell for $60-80.

So, why is cable TV dying? Well, you can watch nonsense on HGTV that does not work in the real world, or this.

The President is a fink.
August 9th, 2021 at 6:34:43 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Nice video, thanks. Did you see the other one at the end about building a potting bench? I purchased one for my wife, and what a joy to be able to have your tools and containers and everything to start plants on.

I noticed early in this video that he had a building table by the dowel holes. I got a complete building bench from Harbor freight. Again, what a joy to have the bench with drilled dowel holes the length of the table [4ft.] with a built on wood vice at the end and drawers. So nice to have a good place to work.

This is the one I got: https://www.harborfreight.com/material-handling/workbenches/workbenches-1/60-in-4-drawer-hardwood-workbench-63395.html

In Kodiak I had a large access to building materials, if you like powerline sized boards. A lot of 41/2 by 51/2, old poles etc. I was slowly raising my our garden up to almost waist height, so it was easy to work with and to fight off the slugs. Pretty neat being able to go out and pick salads without bending over.

I really like this guys panels, I would have used those for sure. Again though, I would have figured out how to have them near waist height. I had no knowledge of that CSA concrete. I've worked plenty of the Portland Cement though. I really like the weight reduction.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
August 9th, 2021 at 7:49:03 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
That concrete bed base looks like a crypt to me. I like it.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
August 9th, 2021 at 11:38:06 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: petroglyph
Nice video, thanks. Did you see the other one at the end about building a potting bench? I purchased one for my wife, and what a joy to be able to have your tools and containers and everything to start plants on.

I noticed early in this video that he had a building table by the dowel holes. I got a complete building bench from Harbor freight. Again, what a joy to have the bench with drilled dowel holes the length of the table [4ft.] with a built on wood vice at the end and drawers. So nice to have a good place to work.

I mean to see the potting bench but have not yet. I saw a video on making money making concrete statues and keep wanting to do it, that HF bench is too fancy for what I want to do. Currently using saw horses and will until I make a few bucks on the planter walls, then maybe make something from scratch or see what else is there.

Quote:
I really like this guys panels, I would have used those for sure. Again though, I would have figured out how to have them near waist height. I had no knowledge of that CSA concrete. I've worked plenty of the Portland Cement though. I really like the weight reduction.

I am mixed on the weight reduction. Seems lots of expense for little gain since once it is in it is in. OTOH, that mortar that pours like batter looks easier, I wonder how it holds up. What I really like is the finish, I have seen craft concrete that has that smooth shine and now know how they do it!

My brother is moving so I am taking a bunch of wood he has to make the form for the planter wall. Table saw, too. Trying to get my rental filled at same time, I gotta focus. But the planter I made from pallets about 6 years ago has given up to the termites. Will see how it works out.
The President is a fink.
August 15th, 2021 at 9:53:18 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
pulley-rama

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 17th, 2021 at 12:58:14 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Only older guys will appreciate this story. Drove my van down to the barn because I use a cane now and it's easier. Went to mow the lawn but the battery on the John Deere was dead because I left the ignition on accidentally. Not a problem. Got out the 10 amp battery charger which takes about an hour on the tractor battery. Start up my van and the check engine light is on. Get out my code reader and it says it's an all-wheel traction code and to erase it and see if it comes back. So I do that and it doesn't come back on. Cool.

I go to start the van and the battery is almost dead because I drive it down to the barn too often and not on the road where it gets a chance to recharge. Not a problem. I go to the barn and grab the other battery charger it has a 75 amp start option. I dig up another 100 foot extension cord start the van and move it to the top of the hill. By now it's been an hour so I start the lawn tractor back it up and notice the front tires flat which happens two or three times a year. Not a problem. I start up the commercial air compressor I bought 20 years ago when I used to sandblast iron beds and repaint them. Put air in the tire from the retractable air hose device on the wall. Mow the lawn in the August sun without getting heat stroke and dying of a heart attack like my brother in law did in Florida 2 weeks ago. Drove the van up to the house put the battery charger on it.

For your average millennial any one of these problems would have been panic time for them. For us old guys who have the equipment on hand for almost anything I never even broke a sweat. It was all actually kind of fun.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 17th, 2021 at 1:22:36 PM permalink
DRich
Quote: Evenbob
Only older guys will appreciate this story. Drove my van down to the barn because I use a cane now and it's easier. Went to mow the lawn but the battery on the John Deere was dead because I left the ignition on accidentally. Not a problem. Got out the 10 amp battery charger which takes about an hour on the tractor battery. Start up my van and the check engine light is on. Get out my code reader and it says it's an all-wheel traction code and to erase it and see if it comes back. So I do that and it doesn't come back on. Cool.

I go to start the van and the battery is almost dead because I drive it down to the barn too often and not on the road where it gets a chance to recharge. Not a problem. I go to the barn and grab the other battery charger it has a 75 amp start option. I dig up another 100 foot extension cord start the van and move it to the top of the hill. By now it's been an hour so I start the lawn tractor back it up and notice the front tires flat which happens two or three times a year. Not a problem. I start up the commercial air compressor I bought 20 years ago when I used to sandblast iron beds and repaint them. Put air in the tire from the retractable air hose device on the wall. Mow the lawn in the August sun without getting heat stroke and dying of a heart attack like my brother in law did in Florida 2 weeks ago. Drove the van up to the house put the battery charger on it.

For your average millennial any one of these problems would have been panic time for them. For us old guys who have the equipment on hand for almost anything I never even broke a sweat. It was all actually kind of fun.

Duplicate
August 17th, 2021 at 1:23:49 PM permalink
DRich

I would just call John Deere Roadside Assistance and Toyota Roadside Assistance. Of course I would never be in that position as I have not mowed a lawn in 30 years. I have people for that.
August 17th, 2021 at 1:53:26 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25

It took a big part of my life to have the right tools, but it is a joy having them. I'm starting to give my stuff away now, but some things I can't part with until I'm unable to turn them on. Like air, and my chopsaw. I just gave away my wood planer and rifles. So nice to have good tools, not like it was in the beginning.

I repurposed a bunch of crates and built a nice sized wall closet with door and drawers, all out of crates. I like telling my kids that the whole thing was done prior to the advent of "grabber" screws. Over 350 screws in that closet, and each one had to be pre drilled for the tapered wood screws.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW