Do it yourself

August 17th, 2021 at 1:57:16 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: petroglyph

I repurposed a bunch of crates and built a nice sized wall closet with door and drawers, all out of crates. I like telling my kids that the whole thing was done prior to the advent of "grabber" screws. Over 350 screws in that closet, and each one had to be pre drilled for the tapered wood screws.

Sounds like a lot of work. I would have just went to IKEA.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
August 17th, 2021 at 3:05:17 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
It took a big part of my life to have the right tools, but it is a joy having them. I'm starting to give my stuff away now, but some things I can't part with until I'm unable to turn them on. Like air, and my chopsaw. I just gave away my wood planer and rifles. So nice to have good tools, not like it was in the beginning.

On one hand I keep wanting to slim down, get rid of most of the tools, and quit starting projects I may or may not finish.

OTOH, nothing more manly than ripping a piece of wood. It feels so great to build something from next to nothing. To be able to fix things on your own. I started making the form for the concrete garden box posted above, stay tuned. Using what is on hand which means gluing boards together to make a bigger board.

One thing is it all keeps your mind in shape. Having to figure out how to do things, how things need to go together. I just wish I had better hands for doing it.

When I die my nephews can whack the tools up amongst the two of them.
The President is a fink.
August 17th, 2021 at 3:26:53 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quote: AZDuffman
OTOH, nothing more manly than ripping a piece of wood.

Wood is for sissies.

REAL MANLY MEN, like me, get greasy and bloody working on their old cars.

Blood, Band-Aids and Bearing Grease: the testosterone trifecta.
August 17th, 2021 at 3:44:32 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: missedhervee
Wood is for sissies.

Been there. Done that. Done wrenching, hopefully for life. Lost so much interest in cars when I near went bankrupt years ago. Will watch YT on things like small block vs big block, but to own something old again? Maybe when SHIB hits $1. Nice, Yank Tank convertible if I do an old car.
The President is a fink.
August 17th, 2021 at 3:49:06 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
It took a big part of my life to have the right tools,

Just looking at how many saws I have. Jigsaw, bandsaw, table saw, 2 Skil saws, a big chainsaw and a small chainsaw, rotary saw, scroll saw. A bevy of hand saws of all types. I even have a saw attached to the end of a 10ft pole like a cut branches out of trees with from the ground. The only one I use on a regular basis is the table saw and a skill saw. Just put up a banister on the stairs 2 weeks ago using both saws.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 17th, 2021 at 6:52:21 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Evenbob
Just put up a banister on the stairs 2 weeks ago using both saws.
Probably a real good idea.

I'm considering a walk in shower for seniors. The one I have has glass doors and they are starting to scare me.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
August 17th, 2021 at 6:55:38 PM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: AZDuffman
.... Using what is on hand which means gluing boards together to make a bigger board.
You using a bisquit jointer?

Quote:
One thing is it all keeps your mind in shape. Having to figure out how to do things, how things need to go together. I just wish I had better hands for doing it.
Use bigger trim, : ).
August 17th, 2021 at 6:59:05 PM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: DRich
Sounds like a lot of work. I would have just went to IKEA.
It was custom wall to wall in a log house. There is nothing square in round logs. Everybody should have to live in at least one log home. That will cure them of wanting to do it again. Looks pretty out in the Alaska wilderness though.
August 18th, 2021 at 4:27:29 AM permalink
AZDuffman
You using a bisquit jointer?

Use bigger trim, : ).

Nah, this is not for fancy, just the concrete form. And the surface does not need to be perfect as it is for a garden.

Bigger trim will only solve part of it. I was the kid in shop class who had the heart not the hands.
The President is a fink.
August 18th, 2021 at 10:16:02 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: missedhervee
Wood is for sissies.

In my opinion real men do not use Band-Aids.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.