Do it yourself

April 12th, 2015 at 8:50:04 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote:

So I'm pretty much riding the Hab train to the finish. If they wind up getting bounced, I'll be watching for no other reason than it's playoff hockey. Should that happen, all I'll care is that Pittsburgh doesn't win (because Crosby) and that Detroit doesn't win (because TheCesspit ;))

I suspect you'll get that moment of joy in the first round... (their 24th straight first round of playoffs played in)
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
April 12th, 2015 at 2:30:28 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Evenbob
Face, why did you sell the table?

Trying to avoid selling the boat and race car.

Quote: kenarman
Notice you didn't put the Rangers on your list. They seem like a natual for you considering where you live. Habs will be my back-up team once the Canucks get bounced. Carrie Price played his minor hockey where I live.

I hate NYS, so there's not a bit of homer in me.

I grew up without cable, so hockey coming up was all Sabres plus whatever Canadian channel drifted across the lake. And since I didn't and don't like the Sabres, my fandom started with what I was exposed to. It began with the Nordiques and Stephan Richer, drifted to the Habs and Patrick Roy, then finally settled with the Leafs and Domi in the early 90's. I suppose that explains why/how I can love both the Leafs and the Habs simultaneously without feeling weird about it =)

Nothing against the Rangers (other than their NYC association), but I wasn't ever exposed to them.

I guess when MON and VAN both get bounced, we can cheer on the Flames? =)
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
April 12th, 2015 at 2:50:16 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Face
Trying to avoid selling the boat and race car.
From the Pot Calling the Kettle Black Dept:
Get job or else get busy building more tables.
April 12th, 2015 at 3:44:44 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Face

I guess when MON and VAN both get bounced, we can cheer on the Flames? =)

If it is a first round bounce for the Habs I would have to go with the Senators. Probably take 'Weinerpeg' before Calgary even though I have family in Calgary.

I grew up with original the 6 so still have a soft spot for the Habs.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
April 12th, 2015 at 7:49:46 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
I have always been able to watch CBC, so in addition to the home-town (home market, anyway) Red Wings, I became a fan of the Leafs, and amusingly enough Ron MacLean more than Don Cherry.

My wife likes the Senators.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
April 13th, 2015 at 1:12:14 PM permalink
Face
Quote: Dalex64
I have always been able to watch CBC, so in addition to the home-town (home market, anyway) Red Wings, I became a fan of the Leafs, and amusingly enough Ron MacLean more than Don Cherry.

My wife likes the Senators.

God bless you both =)

I can't split this thread because I responded to both DIY and hockey in the same post and the software doesn't allow for dissection. So let's try to get this one back onto DIY. Feel free to create a hockey thread, though. Tis the season for it, after all =)
April 13th, 2015 at 1:43:32 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I put in on topic (maybe)

You ever make a hockey stick? Would anyone buy it?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 13th, 2015 at 1:55:28 PM permalink
Face
Quote: rxwine
I put in on topic (maybe)

You ever make a hockey stick? Would anyone buy it?

I haven't, but my woodworking goalie is making one for me, and last I knew is nearly complete with the project. He did the same sandwiching process using just ash. His original model had a flex of over 180! It broke his jig when he tried to test it it was so damn stiff. Since I use an 87 and am barely strong enough to use that, I had to send him back to the drawing board. He then made an ash/pine mix that came in under 100 and I deemed it acceptable. Last I knew he was working on the blade, unsure of whether to mate a manufactured one onto the shaft, or to produce the blade himself.

Remember me crying about not being able to find wood sticks anymore? This is the result lol. Of course, I dunno how I'd ever be able to use it. If someone were to break it, I'm guaranteeing myself a misconduct as I'd lose my s#$% on whoever did it ;)

Edit: He's actually aware of this forum, as he was searching for our hockey team's logo and one of my WarWagon threads popped up. Perhaps he'll see this and decide to join. That guy is always making something, and I have a least a few of his projects in my home =)
April 13th, 2015 at 1:58:23 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
BTW, if you ever need to make a mold for fiberglass, I found the green styrofoam they sell to stick flowers in won't dissolve like regular styrofoam with the chemicals.

Styrofoam is so easy to shape it's easy to over sand or carve. There are drawbacks, but if you need green tinted fiberglass shells of any shape it is pretty handy.

(maybe the green sty isn't the same everywhere, but that's what I found)
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 13th, 2015 at 5:04:04 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
A friend once taught me how to fish for steelhead trout. I first waded out with him in my leaky old chest waders and fiberglass old rod and some crappy reel.

I waded back in from the fishing a couple hours later, freezing and shivering and he helped by cutting me out of the waders. So as my lessons continued he influenced me to have a very nice pole built from graphite. The cork handle has no seat and the pole itself has fly eyes, so I can use a fly reel, level wind or "coffee grinder", it even had my name embossed. It has since, caught a lot of fish.

His name was Neal. Neal was always preaching respect, we built cotton covers for the poles which we would slide on after cleaning the gear after fishing. He would fetish over lubing his reel after so many uses, and clean and inspect the pole and the eyes looking for any defect or damage that needed attending. He even got some kind of special silicone spray the he would put on the eyes to make them slicker and would also prevent ice from building on them when we fished cooler weather.

We were doing a night fishing expedition, not too dangerous. A few black bears around and the occasional drunk. But other than that what would occasionally scare the hell out of us was, beavers. They are silent in the night in rippling water. Especially with no moon, they love to swim about a foot behind you and "slap" the water.

Neal had saved up and bought himself a Boron rod. To us [in the 80's] 400 bucks for a pole was a lot of money. Neal had dreamt about this pole, and IM6 Boron, I think around 9 1/2 feet. He had it made. It was so sensitive you could feel dragonfly's breath with it. It was beautiful. Fish feared us, for good reason. We were both in the 400lb. club yearly. That isn't huge, but where we were, you were considered a liar to even claim half that.

The point of my story. Fishing one night in the dark, we were standing next to the Lewis River on flat rocks about 6 inches out of the water, night fishing. Casting, retrieving, nothing hitting, yet. And then all of a sudden, almost flying out of the water and climbing rapidly up Neal's leg was about a 40 lb. beaver. The only thing he had to deflect the beaver from making it to his head was his new Boron fishing pole. He was flailing and bashing that beaver furiously trying to stop it's climb up to his head and Neal was pounding it with what was left of his new poles handle. I laughed so **king hard I nearly didn't survive. I told him, Neal, you got to respect your equipment a little better than that. lolol

Beavers can really sneak up on you at night, in a river.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW