Do it yourself

April 16th, 2015 at 3:00:28 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Face
Understood. But that doesn't help the pine table I already have =/

Brush on several coats of good urethane.
Sand with fine sandpaper in between
coats. Be hard as nails when you're done.
Don't spray it, you want it thick. The secret
is in the sanding and using a good brush.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 16th, 2015 at 3:05:59 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I have a slab coffee table similar to this.
You could bounce a bullet off the urethane,
it's that thick. It's also what makes the table
appealing.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 16th, 2015 at 3:21:30 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob
Don't use pine, it's makes shit furniture.
Find pallets, they're everywhere. Look
behind grocery stores, in dumpsters,
behind strip malls, behind lawn and
garden stores, motorcycle stores, you'll
find pallets. Stay away from big businesses,
they usually recycle. Cruise around and
you'll be surprised. He who looks, finds..

Look on Craigslist. Or put an ad. Some places will be more than happy to get rid of them. Today's posts have me pumped to make a table but will be mid summer earliest before I can get started.
The President is a fink.
April 16th, 2015 at 3:28:51 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: AZDuffman
Today's posts have me pumped to make a table but will be mid summer earliest before I can get started.

Given plentiful smoke breaks, beer breaks, and necessary "lay on the floor cuz my back hurts" breaks, mine still only took ~25hrs. And much of that was hand drilling, hand sanding, running to Jonny L's for tools, etc. You could bang more than half of it out in a long day.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
April 16th, 2015 at 5:29:50 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Face
Given plentiful smoke breaks, beer breaks, and necessary "lay on the floor cuz my back hurts" breaks, mine still only took ~25hrs. And much of that was hand drilling, hand sanding, running to Jonny L's for tools, etc. You could bang more than half of it out in a long day.

Probably, but I have to finish the shop that goes around the shelves first. Convince a permanent "loan" of a table saw (i.e.: offer to take it out of my brother's garage), get rid of a pile of junk, and then get the pallets and pay a day's fee at the Tech Shop to use the planer. I think I see myself doing it while I listen to the Steelers lose on radio in early September, then use or craigslist it before the bad weather comes.
The President is a fink.
April 21st, 2015 at 3:16:49 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
I feel like I fell out of the stupid tree, and not only did I hit every branch on the way down, but I hit so hard I loosed the tree itself, which then fell on me. I can't even Google my way to knowledge here, and that is disconcerting.

The topic is air tools, specifically the sizes of quick connect couplers.

I have a 3/8 hose, and since I have no adapter and the hose runs directly into the female quick connect, I assume it, too, must be 3/8. All of my air tools are 1/4, and despite this difference, I have no problem.

What I can't seem to suss out is what that measurement is specifically, and how it matters to me. I am currently assuming the measurement is of the threaded end only, the part that goes into the tool or hose, and the quick connect side is standard or generic or a complete f#$%ing mystery because I can't find nothing.

I recently bought a 1/2 hose at half the length of my 3/8 because I was looking to get more grunt out of my gear. The question I'm trying to answer is if my 1/4 male quick connects on all my tools will mate with the 1/2 female hose as they did with the 3/8 female hose. It seems they should, since the previous size difference didn't matter, but I'm not trying to spend time and money swapping things just to find I'm SOL.

I tried looking at the parts store, and all the 1/2 male connects were likewise huge, leading me to believe my puny 1/4's won't mate. So that led me to search for male connects that were 1/2 on the quick side but 1/4 on the tool side, and I couldn't find anything like that, leading me to believe that they must mate. So two conflicting ideas leave me where I started.

Anyone have a clue?
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
April 21st, 2015 at 5:36:50 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
The sizes you speak of are ID are they not? The male connectors on the right side of your photo...look at that little hole on the right side, I do believe that is the 1/4 inch they speak of.

In small connectors such as these, I think they only come in two sizes, the two you have. Try it. I'm only sharing this because some mechanic on the island told me to go to napa and get their universal connectors. Look at those male connectors, mostly they are all just a tad different, and probably won't fit another makers quick connect.

I think on connectors you have to go size for size.

Why you so hard on my tree?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
April 22nd, 2015 at 7:12:57 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I haven't been following this thread, but time came to clean out the shower head eventually. I tried the tape on the thread before screwing it back on and it worked perfectly. Thanks to all who recommended it. as it turns out that very same shower head came with a small amount of tape and directions. I didn't even need to go find it!
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
April 22nd, 2015 at 4:44:40 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Speaking of showers...

Anybody know about these universal one control showers: Push for off, Pull for On, Twist Right for Colder, Twist Left for Hotter (Lol, hotter? with my landlord?? Hah.).

What do you do when you push and push and it won't turn off?
April 22nd, 2015 at 4:56:20 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Fleastiff
Speaking of showers...

Anybody know about these universal one control showers: Push for off, Pull for On, Twist Right for Colder, Twist Left for Hotter (Lol, hotter? with my landlord?? Hah.).

What do you do when you push and push and it won't turn off?

Sounds like the fixture will have to be changed, so the water of course needs to be shut off wherever that is? Is it going full blast? Do you have access to the on off valve for your unit and is there a way to maybe turn it toward hot and just shut off the hot water allowing you at least cold until change time?

Good luck
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW