Do it yourself

May 31st, 2015 at 5:29:28 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Fleastiff
Tools:

A few months ago I had occasion to buy a simple hand held can opener. Nothing special. No big deal. Didn't use it much

Two nights ago something snapped and parts flew all over the place along with the "water" from "tunafish in water". Now I think it was a lousy 3.00 or so but I only used it a few times. So I rummaged in the garage and am soaking a ten year old one in vinegar.

Good to hear you are doing some fine dining.

I was just thinking about a tuna casserole.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
June 1st, 2015 at 1:37:44 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: petroglyph
Good to hear you are the cat is doing some fine dining.
June 1st, 2015 at 12:17:45 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: Fleastiff
Tools:

A few months ago I had occasion to buy a simple hand held can opener. Nothing special. No big deal. Didn't use it much

Two nights ago something snapped and parts flew all over the place along with the "water" from "tunafish in water". Now I think it was a lousy 3.00 or so but I only used it a few times. So I rummaged in the garage and am soaking a ten year old one in vinegar.

Our "Swing-a-Way" can opener used to be one of my favorite products. Made in the U.S.A., stainless steel, quality construction.

Unfortunately, the company moved their manufacturing to China, and dropped the quality of the steel, and the construction in order to keep the price down. Now, they are just junk. Too bad.
June 1st, 2015 at 1:36:38 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
So many still hooked on WD-40. Since I discovered PB Blaster, I haven't touched WD-40 and won't ever again. It's done so many things so well for me, I'm contemplating even using it on my fried eggs to keep them from sticking.

My fishing tools always rust (and wtf is that about? You know they're gonna get wet, make them rust proof =p). When they rust, they get stuck closed. You can't pry them apart because the handle just folds. A squirt of PB, let it sit for 15 seconds, and they'll spring open by themselves. Even better, all the rust dissolves and runs out of the joint. Work it back and forth while flushing with another squirt, and soon you can't even tell it was ever rusted. They're not even "crunchy" from pitting or rust flakes trapped inside. They work as fluidly as they day I bought them.

PB Blaster. "Fix it right" since 1957.

Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
June 1st, 2015 at 1:43:02 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Face
I'm contemplating even using it on my fried eggs to keep them from sticking.

It kills roaches dead instantly like you put a bullet in their vital organs.

That was all I had handy at the time.

: )
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 1st, 2015 at 1:48:22 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
PB is for removing rust, WD gets rid of
water and lubes short term. I hear Zep
is the best. WD does not get rid of rust
nor does it claim to. It does penetrate,
however.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 1st, 2015 at 1:48:25 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Speaking of odd do-it- yourself stuff. (wasn't someone? maybe it was me.)

I once fixed a bicycle crank when I was missing the right size lug nut by filling it with super glue and baking soda. Held up for a month.

It makes great instant cement. Or instant steel. The soda lets you use a whole bunch at once and everything hardens up right away.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 1st, 2015 at 5:40:26 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Added to my tool collection. CL is a wonderful thing, just $40 used. Have to buy a key for the chuck, meaning I have to figure what size key to get.

Might only use it seriously once a year, but that one time you need it to have it makes a job go so much better. Next up a vice or bench grinder, either of which will probably be new.
The President is a fink.
June 1st, 2015 at 6:08:08 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I have a big vice and a grinder. They
look nice, I never use them. Band
saw, table saw, belt sander, finish
sander, pro air compressor, spray
painting equipment, 2 circular
saws, Sawzall, on and on. Never
use any of it anymore.

Tools I use all the time; heavy duty
stapler, hammers, screwdrivers, electric
drill, pliers, vice grips, channel locks
of every size. In fact I consider the
12" channel locks to be a tool you
cannot live without. There is almost
nothing it can't do, from car repair
to major plumbing.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 1st, 2015 at 6:16:25 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob

When I was in college Channel Lock was very good about giving tours of the factory and was a frequent case-study for business majors. Wish I had went to see the factory, before I saw one guy in the class give a presentation I had never thought as to where they were made.
The President is a fink.