Do it yourself

May 28th, 2015 at 6:15:35 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman
On stepladders, I have one that folds up. When I asked for a Christmas gift I asked for one. It turned out to be one of those gifts that was so practical my brother and brother-in-law ended up with one..

Was in the barn and saw the 12 footer,
always awe inspiring. Bought this 300
pounder last year, sturdiest safest ladder
I've ever used. It never shakes or is
unsteady. Well worth the price.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 28th, 2015 at 6:26:13 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob
Was in the barn and saw the 12 footer,
always awe inspiring. Bought this 300
pounder last year, sturdiest safest ladder
I've ever used. It never shakes or is
unsteady. Well worth the price.

The fold-up ladder can be a step ladder or regular ladder or even a scaffold. It fits in the trunk of a sedan, though I will never own one again that means it stores nicely.

Since then I inherited my grandfathers not sure, maybe 30 footer. Monster heavy. My brother did some electrical work up high. Said I could keep it in the garage after was done if I needed to use it. When I said he was free to keep it he said, "lets try this again, I'll leave it in your garage in case you need it."
The President is a fink.
May 28th, 2015 at 6:27:43 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Face
I put new bearings in my racer before I took it to the track.

200 miles later and they have a half inch of play.
Why so?

Quote:
Yeah... I'd use a press quite often indeed. Plus it's such a savings on labor cost, it'd pay for itself a lot sooner than many tools.
Nothing like having good and proper tools, if you need one, you need one.

I lusted for a plasma cutter, but had to settle for a torch.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
May 28th, 2015 at 6:35:59 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: petroglyph
Are you aware that there are woodworking clubs in many cities?

They have all the cool tools that a guy would love to have "once in a while". Lots of skills and knowledge, mostly guys. I have a friend who visited one in Vegas and said if was great.

Or if metal is your thing, I'm sure they have those as well.

When I used a press, it was wonderful. But it is easy to go years without needing one?

Actually we have both plus under one roof, plus a 3D printer I think. But the cost is a bit much. Plus I sometimes need it on the spot. But you are right, the places are great. I hope to take a day class or two there.

As to the "easy to go years" yes, it is. But an example, my dad has a nice oxygen-acetylene brazing torch. Used it to save myself $30+ last month, years since he used it. But when we needed it we needed it. I have not many bad money-suck habits like smoking, drinking, dope, or have to pay alimony or child support. So time to keep manning-up and make myself useful.

Oh, and Face, we are getting legs here, maybe time to split the tool thread off?
The President is a fink.
May 28th, 2015 at 7:26:31 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: AZDuffman
Oh, and Face, we are getting legs here, maybe time to split the tool thread off?
Nah, I think DIY projects and tool seection/ tool availability are too closely related to be so needlessly split up.

As to tool acquisition I've heard bankruptcy sales are great, the computers and vehicles get bidders but the less popular stuff doesn't seem to sell.

There are alot of these MakerSpaces, but I've heard they are mainly for electronic work.
May 29th, 2015 at 2:58:30 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: terapined
Love
WD 40.
Its actually controversial for bicycle maitenence.
Most bike repair professionals say to stay away.
I love it.
I use it as a cleaner to clean my chain. Bicycle commuter so I pay close attention to my chain and clean it every few months.
After cleaning my chain, will use a lubricant on the chain.

I have no problem with what you are saying, since you use it for a cleaner. It's the wrong stuff many times - as you note, for your lubrication you use something else.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
May 29th, 2015 at 5:55:42 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Bicycle maintenance.
Well, wait till you find out what can happen to an airplane mechanic and his license if he uses WD-40 as a cure all.

Of course not all DIY projects are going to be that critical, so cheaper tools and a few short cuts or improvised parts may work. If you are on a sinking boat I imagine even a paper clip might be a good tool to have available. Those handy inflate a tires are good cans to invest in. At least such a device can get you to a real mechanic and tire store.

Barnes and Noble had a brief best seller.... specialized farm tools of the 1890s or something. Urban dwellers probably bought most of those books.
May 31st, 2015 at 12:51:46 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Evenbob
Presses, band saws,
table saws, the old ladies can't wait to
get rid of the old mans crap when he kicks
the bucket.

Yup. Happened to think of your post when I saw this today.

Quote:
CleanBayArea in Milpitas, California, is trying to track down a woman in her 60s who dropped off some electronic goods in April, when she was cleaning out the garage after her husband died.

In one of the boxes, buried under worthless keyboards, personal computer pieces and wires, was a 1976 Apple 1, a groundbreaking home computer. Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak designed and hand-built the computers and sold them for $666.66 each. Only a few dozen are known still to exist.

The recycling firm sold the Apple for $200,000 in a private auction. Its policy is to split the proceeds 50-50 with the person who donated the equipment.

http://in.reuters.com/article/2015/05/31/usa-california-computer-idINL1N0YM0AX20150531
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 31st, 2015 at 4:01:55 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Tools:

A few months ago I had occasion to buy a simple hand held can opener. Nothing special. No big deal. Didn't use it much

Two nights ago something snapped and parts flew all over the place along with the "water" from "tunafish in water". Now I think it was a lousy 3.00 or so but I only used it a few times. So I rummaged in the garage and am soaking a ten year old one in vinegar.
May 31st, 2015 at 4:12:43 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Fleastiff
So I rummaged in the garage and am soaking a ten year old one in vinegar.

WD-40 works wonders on old can openers.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.