Do it yourself

July 8th, 2015 at 1:37:33 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: Fleastiff
Cheap plastic bottles are a great way to provide support for an earthen ceiling as well as transmissible light to your subterranean greenhouse

Is there a photo of this somewhere? I can't imagine how it is supposed to work, since the bottles aren't very sturdy, and break down in UV light.
July 9th, 2015 at 3:55:13 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Ayecarumba
Here's an idea:

image from acartoonchristmas.com

You could wire it so that the red ball on the end lights up.

There's nothing you can't do with metal. I do like it better than wood. No matter what you do, you can cut, weld, and bend it to where you needed. Bend a rod and light it up? Easy game. Could bang out CB Xmas trees left and right.

This one ended up being a short thread. I cut 2' off my tree, making it 4' tall. 6' was just too much trunk to fill, and rebar is springy. At 6' the lightest force sent it swaying and it would sway for hours.

I sort of hunched how many "branches" I wanted, and how many "rows" of branches I wanted, and my first hunch nailed it perfect. 4 branches per row, 3 rows of decreasing length and increasing angle, and mathing it out off my first measurements gave me the exact amount of pieces at almost no waste. Easy peasy.

So 4 count of 18", 12", and 9" later, all I needed was clean up the edges and burn them on. Took maybe 90 - 120 minutes.

Just need to clean it, paint it, and deliver. Pop a few wine bottles on it and viola!.

Most similar one I saw was $90 + $25 s&h. Mine cost $50 and labor.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
July 9th, 2015 at 8:08:24 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
How much would you charge for this?

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 9th, 2015 at 8:15:35 PM permalink
Face
One lifetime pass plus cost of materials =)
July 9th, 2015 at 9:20:04 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
BTW, if you can do metal work, you might be an artist?

People pay ridiculous prices. It's hard to fathom.

My Brother-in-Laws nephew does sculptures for a living.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 9th, 2015 at 9:46:41 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
I made this gate, out of salvaged material. The right side is 15' and the left is 5', that way you only have to swing one gate to open for car traffic, but it can open to nearly 20' for a large loads or sno plowing.

The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
July 9th, 2015 at 10:08:44 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Ayecarumba
Is there a photo of this somewhere? I can't imagine how it is supposed to work, since the bottles aren't very sturdy, and break down in UV light.
I usually post drunk, so I'll try to get enough spare change together and get drunk again.... maybe the citation will appear in my drunken stupor this time.
July 10th, 2015 at 4:42:29 PM permalink
Face
Quote: rxwine
BTW, if you can do metal work, you might be an artist?

People pay ridiculous prices. It's hard to fathom.

My Brother-in-Laws nephew does sculptures for a living.

I have a streak, very small but there, of artistic expression. Haven't done anything I've considered "art" in a long time, but sure. I come up with a lot of ideas for stuff I'd want that I know would sell, I just usually don't have the money to pursue it.

But, and it's a very large "but", I am the world's worst salesman. I have some sort of hangup when it comes to turning labor into cash. If you were to average out some of the things I've done here, like the brake jobs, table making, etc, I'm coming in at ~$3 an hour. When my buddy broke the axle off his trailer, or a guide wheel off his tractor, I know he was facing ~$200 in tow and another $200 in labor to have it fixed. I know, because I'm a logical person, that offering to do it for $100 would make him very happy indeed, and put $100 in my pocket. But it's just welding. Put a wheel to it, burn it, hammer it, brush it... I can't get the part of my brain to accept the $100 because, despite the demand, it was just too f#$%ing easy. So "on the house" ends up being my price, more often than not.
July 10th, 2015 at 5:13:16 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Face
I have a streak, very small but there, of artistic expression. Haven't done anything I've considered "art" in a long time, but sure. I come up with a lot of ideas for stuff I'd want that I know would sell, I just usually don't have the money to pursue it.

But, and it's a very large "but", I am the world's worst salesman. I have some sort of hangup when it comes to turning labor into cash. If you were to average out some of the things I've done here, like the brake jobs, table making, etc, I'm coming in at ~$3 an hour. When my buddy broke the axle off his trailer, or a guide wheel off his tractor, I know he was facing ~$200 in tow and another $200 in labor to have it fixed. I know, because I'm a logical person, that offering to do it for $100 would make him very happy indeed, and put $100 in my pocket. But it's just welding. Put a wheel to it, burn it, hammer it, brush it... I can't get the part of my brain to accept the $100 because, despite the demand, it was just too f#$%ing easy. So "on the house" ends up being my price, more often than not.

There is a difference between doing it for a buddy and doing it as a hustle. I'm the same way with friends. Rarely do I even charge for gas. Of course it is understood that often the person doing the work should be comped a few beers or at least the other guy buys the first round. Sometimes you take some token amount as a "manhood keeper" for the other guy.
The President is a fink.
July 10th, 2015 at 11:25:13 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
I ran the beads for this stove.

I couldn't make the picture stand upright? Those doors were cut off of a burned out woodstove, this thing will take 3 foot rounds.

That is a two inch air intake for the combustion air, it makes a monster difference in the amount of heat you get from a stove if the combustion air comes from outside. Most of this was salvaged material.

The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW