Do it yourself

August 20th, 2015 at 5:07:24 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
these are multi filament adhesives and trade groups do have some stats available.

be aware: CHANGES are made from time to time in both the chemical formulation of the adhesive and in the number and diameter of filaments. such changes do not result in bar code changes, product number or name changes and are not announced to the public.

the tape used in the jonbenet ramsey murder had its formulation changed a matter of weeks prior to the murder and I doubt one roll of tape would make its way through the distribution chain from Henderson, NC to Boulder Colorado quite so fast, so I think a careful killer purchased it most probably in the Atlanta area, where he lived.
August 20th, 2015 at 5:43:18 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: petroglyph

That is good to know. I hate cheap tape. I have been lured into buying 4 dollar "duck" tape. The stuff won't even stick to itself. When I worked, the finest tapes were provided. 3M like this above was always in demand. I like 88 or 33, also known as "the kind".

When I was a kid my grandfather brought this great green duct tape from the mill. Stuff held anything. We later found out it was military grade stuff for taping airplane wings for a quick field fix. No idea what happened to it, never saw it on the market.
The President is a fink.
August 20th, 2015 at 10:07:53 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: AZDuffman
When I was a kid my grandfather brought this great green duct tape from the mill. Stuff held anything. We later found out it was military grade stuff for taping airplane wings for a quick field fix. No idea what happened to it, never saw it on the market.

Probably because military is allowed a lot of things which might not pass outside for one reason or another. If they need to put hazardous materials into something to improve its function that would certainly take precedence over something not being useful.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 20th, 2015 at 11:10:22 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: rxwine
Probably because military is allowed a lot of things which might not pass outside for one reason or another. If they need to put hazardous materials into something to improve its function that would certainly take precedence over something not being useful.
It could also be that that retail price would have to be $15 per roll to match the spec. Not enough regular people would buy it, but the government buys a ton, uses a pound, then dumps the surplus.

I just heard a news story that NASA is scavenging old drinking water tanks from a Space Shuttle they gave to a museum, for use on the ISS. While I appreciate the thriftyness, I would be concerned if I had to drink water out of the decade old tanks they are pulling.
August 21st, 2015 at 9:11:39 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: Ayecarumba
It could also be that that retail price would have to be $15 per roll to match the spec. Not enough regular people would buy it, but the government buys a ton, uses a pound, then dumps the surplus.

I just heard a news story that NASA is scavenging old drinking water tanks from a Space Shuttle they gave to a museum, for use on the ISS. While I appreciate the thriftyness, I would be concerned if I had to drink water out of the decade old tanks they are pulling.

You drink water out of decades old pipes....
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
August 21st, 2015 at 10:33:41 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: TheCesspit
You drink water out of decades old pipes....

Speak for yourself... I drink water out of century old pipes... hehe. But, I can always go to the corner market and get water bottled from an alpine spring. If I was on the ISS, your options would be severely limited. Of course I would have also been drinking my own, and others, purified urine, so maybe drinking from a water tank that has been sitting in a warehouse for 10 years is not so bad after all.
August 22nd, 2015 at 8:31:37 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine

Yeah, but he was getting it from the mill, not the military. I will buy the idea that the cost was too high for Joe Consumer. Still wish it was available.
The President is a fink.
August 23rd, 2015 at 3:07:43 PM permalink
rxwine
In the summer in August, I get about a gallon of water a day. (random video about AC water)

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 23rd, 2015 at 3:12:41 PM permalink
rxwine
I actually don't know why air conditioners aren't built with an option for reusing the water. Maybe no one thinks about it. By option, just a little more redirection options, like tubes, special collection chamber or something.
October 8th, 2015 at 12:20:52 PM permalink
rxwine
In the spirit of spending almost nothing. I love this stuff, even if I can't really use it myself.

I wouldn't have guessed a stream that shallow and appears to be barely moving would move that wheel so vigorously.