Do it yourself

September 9th, 2016 at 5:33:52 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Face
The proper answer is "Can't repurpose because I'm going to finish it" =)

My dad did stuuf like that, start things and
never finish them. It's a kind of sickness..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 9th, 2016 at 6:15:25 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Evenbob
........, start things and never finish them. It's a kind of sickness..
Yeah, I know. Look at how many times I've resolved to learn basic strategy and basic arithmetic skills.

I got a spray mop 90 percent assembled and I've got a steam mop about 95 percent assembled. Got a zillion half-watched movies on Amazon Prime. Got over a dozen cleaning chemicals all in half empty containers. (Just how many half-empty cans of Ajax Cleanser do I really need). Got a face plate to a flashlight somewhere, got the rest of the flashlight somewhere else, be darned if I could find each of them at the same time and actually put it all together.

Orexin/leptin imbalance in the glial cells, particularly astrocytes.
September 9th, 2016 at 9:26:32 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Fleastiff
Yeah, I know. Look at how many times I've resolved

Start one project and see it through before
starting another. I'd rather do something
half-assed if I'm pressed for time, rather
than let it sit there undone for 3 months.
Many people bite off way more than they can
chew, I'd rather bite off less. I know myself,
if I don't finish it now, I'll probably never
get to it again. I admire those guys who
take 3 years of working every day to restore
an old car. I could never do that, I'd get too
impatient and bored.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 10th, 2016 at 5:46:38 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob
My dad did stuuf like that, start things and
never finish them. It's a kind of sickness..

It is a combination of an ADD thing and an active mind. I often start things and move to something else. This is because of all that is gong on in my life. Long work hours. This is the first weekend my mother gave me off and said to spend on myself. But even then I have to side hustle twice. Then there are the projects themselves. One I have to let paint dry. Another I have to cut lots of weeds to make really work so much of it will be later in fall. I will build a desk, but can do that when the weather gets crappy so will do it in late fall or early winter. Yet another I do not need totally until January so no rush.

But I have one big picture that I want, so as long as progress is made I am fine.
The President is a fink.
September 28th, 2016 at 11:57:53 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Don't know if this works, but I'll probably try it soon. Need a warm bottled drink (beer) quickly ice cold. Put a wet towel around it and put it in the freezer for 15 minutes. Paper towel probably will do, and you can still use it later.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 28th, 2016 at 12:47:27 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: rxwine
Don't know if this works, but I'll probably try it soon. Need a warm bottled drink (beer) quickly ice cold. Put a wet towel around it and put it in the freezer for 15 minutes. Paper towel probably will do, and you can still use it later.

My standard was for plain bottle or can in the freezer for 15 minutes. The last time I tried it, I forgot the can and it blew up inside the freezer. You want to be careful about that, lest it blow when you're opening the freezer door. Hint: plastic bottles don't blow up (not from frozen liquids inside).

Another technique is to fill a cooler with ice and some cold water, then add salt to force the ice to melt. the resulting water will be almost ice-cold, but can soak up heat from the bottle faster than solid ice. I suppose shaved ice might also work.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
September 28th, 2016 at 2:31:18 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
I ain't found nothing faster than ice water. Dump cold water into a cooler, add ice, add beer.

You can put it in the freezer, but you're then relying on the heat transfer properties of air, which suck compared to water. Additionally, ice water doesn't explodicate your favorite beverage. And "just ice" leaves a bunch of the surface area of your can/bottle untouched by the coolness.

Your towel idea sounds better than freezer alone. Plus it'll already clean the mess when you're on number 5 and forget. Have fun chiseling =p
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
September 28th, 2016 at 3:47:25 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Mythbusters proved that putting it in ice water is the fastest way. Except for blowing off a fire extinguisher if you want to waste that cash.

I suppose ice water has the most contact area and most conductivity.
The President is a fink.
September 28th, 2016 at 4:12:33 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
The resurgence of this thread reminded me of worm talk, so thought I'd throw this out there...

Maggots.

I've been messing with these quite a bit this summer. I remember a time when I was, like most people, completely repulsed by them. But a personal experience coupled with some learning kind of made me realize the disgust lies almost entirely within the environment they're usually found, and not the beings themselves. When found as a wriggling, bubbling mass in a carcass, pretty much universally retch worthy. But when you isolate them, raise them in a non-disgusting manner, they're pretty much indistinguishable from mealworms. Even better than simple earthworms, as there's no mess of mucus.

Anyways, I've found a great number of ways to "create" literal pounds of these things. A ziploc bag full of chicken water (the liquid remains post thawing) has been my best go for amount, ease, and lack of gag factor. Seeing as the amount of "seed" needed to attract, get flies to lay, and sustain the pupae until fat is damn near microscopic, and the fact I can go from a frozen chicken in the freezer to bags full of these things in 3-5 days, I can't help but think I'm onto something.

Alas, I'm short on ideas. They are far too fragile for any use I can think of. They have all the resilience of a chicken egg sans shell, and die from exposure in as little as 2 minutes if left on a dry concrete floor. I could easily freeze them into chunks for a sort of time release fish food, or puree and dry them on a sheet for fish flakes, but fish food isn't exactly a huge expense for me so any savings/profit would be minimal. It's a great new survival skill, but I hope to never use that particular accumulation of knowledge.

So, any ideas?
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
September 28th, 2016 at 4:21:16 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Freeze dry, then pulverize into a protein drink powder?