Streaming Recommendations (Netflix, HBO, Amazon, etc.)

January 21st, 2020 at 4:49:05 PM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
Quote: Evenbob
Everything they STREAM is free, but there
is a ton of stuff they DON'T stream.
Go search for Jack Reacher or John
Wick, they don't have them. And you
can search Amazon for what they
stream without joining. Nflix is the
worst for available movies to stream.

OK then, good to know. I've had Netflix streaming for years, but no Amazon or hulu. Just thought I'd jump at the chance for this free membership of Amazon to see what they have available, and I'm disappointed in their streaming service.
January 21st, 2020 at 4:52:11 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Evenbob
And you can search Amazon for what they stream without joining. Nflix is the worst for available movies to stream.

justwatch.com is the easiest website to see what is on a streaming service

Roku Channel 331 titles TV series; 984 titles Movies (ad-supported so no $$$ from the viewer)
Netflix 1,570 titles TV series; 3,751 titles Movies
Disney+ 169 titles TV series; 676 titles Movies
HBO GO 189 titles TV series; 921 titles Movies
Apple+ 11 titles TV series; 3 titles Movies
January 21st, 2020 at 5:30:21 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: zippyboy
OK then, good to know. I've had Netflix streaming for years, but no Amazon or hulu. Just thought I'd jump at the chance for this free membership of Amazon to see what they have available, and I'm disappointed in their streaming service.

I am shocked that you don't have Amazon Prime for shipping. I just assumed everybody ordered stuff on Amazon. We probably get Amazon deliveries 4 days a week.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
January 22nd, 2020 at 4:10:37 AM permalink
Pacomartin

The series named "You" is a psychological thriller about a guy who is part white night and part serial killer. It is skewed a little more towards female viewers, but with an audience of 43 million the first year, it must have attracted both sexes as viewers.

A running theme is how you can use social media to both track and delude people. An obvious ploy is using mass tweets from a stolen phone to convey misinformation. Other tricks are less obvious.

The series is based on a 2014 book.
February 5th, 2020 at 7:23:31 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
I have been watching Babylon Berlin, excellent show neo-noir styled, pre WWII Germany about the factions vying for power.

It is a German Show on netflix so it is dubbed if you watch it in English, which makes dialogue clunky at times. But, it is one of the greatest Netflix shows I have come across.
February 5th, 2020 at 9:35:33 PM permalink
Pacomartin

Harlan Coben writes like a British mystery writer. Very dense plotting with loads of misdirection and ultimately about complexities and betrayal of family. The plots of his novels often involve the resurfacing of unresolved or misinterpreted events in the past, murders, or fatal accidents and have multiple twists.
Funny thing is he is American and lives in NJ.

The latest Netflix mini-series is called "The Stranger" and is based on his 2015 novel. I watched it because I enjoyed "The Five", a British crime drama television series, created by crime author Harlan Coben, but not based on any novel.
February 6th, 2020 at 5:19:39 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Pacomartin

Harlan Coben writes like a British mystery writer. Very dense plotting with loads of misdirection and ultimately about complexities and betrayal of family. The plots of his novels often involve the resurfacing of unresolved or misinterpreted events in the past, murders, or fatal accidents and have multiple twists.
Funny thing is he is American and lives in NJ.

The latest Netflix mini-series is called "The Stranger" and is based on his 2015 novel. I watched it because I enjoyed "The Five", a British crime drama television series, created by crime author Harlan Coben, but not based on any novel.

I have a few Harlan Coben books sitting around that I picked up at book sales for like $1. Haven't gotten around to reading one yet.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
February 10th, 2020 at 10:58:27 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Late to the party, but I watched "Dont F#$% with Cats" the first day ams recommended it. Can confirm it's a good watch. I did think the end of the second part was filled with needless fluff and dragged on, but not enough to pan it. I suppose it could be a tough watch for some as it is almost televised animal cruelty, but for me the hardest part was witnessing the perp, especially once he was caught. Makes the whole "anti-bully" movement hard to support, as this kid was a tw@ of the highest order. Vanity? Narcissism? Does this mf'er not own a mirror? Thinkin' he's Narcissus when he looks like Nero, Christ almighty.

Also caught about half of the Aaron Hernandez story. Haven't been able to finish it yet as it's just too real; minus the abusive dad and being closeted, it was like watching my own biography. From what I saw so far, probably worth a watch. Wear a helmet, people. And when your grandkids come off the field and say they see flashes / lights, pull them the f#$% out. Trust me on this one.

Binged all of TNG. That made me oddly happy. Ditto for Golden Girls which I binged again, but holy s#$%. Hard to believe that was on at 7p on a regular channel. I can't watch that with kids around today. It's positively foul XD

Caught most of "The Pharmacist". Thought the pharmacist himself was a bit of a wank, but it's a good enough watch. By "good enough", I of course mean "makes you want to start burning .gov buildings with .gov still inside them". It's a good lesson in liassez-faire capitalism, that lesson being "are you f$%ing retarded?" Also, being a student of the Philosopher Chappelle and aware of Hero Gary Webb, I find it a shocking admission of systemic racism and double standard. It's enough to make a man hanker to affix bayonets. What a world we live in.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
February 10th, 2020 at 11:35:48 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Face
Caught most of "The Pharmacist". Thought the pharmacist himself was a bit of a wank, but it's a good enough watch. By "good enough", I of course mean "makes you want to start burning .gov buildings with .gov still inside them". It's a good lesson in liassez-faire capitalism, that lesson being "are you f$%ing retarded?" Also, being a student of the Philosopher Chappelle and aware of Hero Gary Webb, I find it a shocking admission of systemic racism and double standard. It's enough to make a man hanker to affix bayonets. What a world we live in.

Almost started watching this yesterday, sounds like my kind of show from the description.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
February 10th, 2020 at 12:12:04 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: ams288
Almost started watching this yesterday, sounds like my kind of show from the description.

I was put off by the guy himself. Seemed obvious he was quasi-obsessed to an unhealthy degree as a result of his loss as opposed to being driven by a sense of righteousness like Baudy Moven from DFwC, and having been in a sort of law enforcement capacity before, it's maddening when do-gooders come plodding in messing up your case, which this guy did in spades. And then personally being one who relied on ope's to function and using them "responsibly", I certainly had some "oh you MF'ER!" moments at this guy's actions.

But it had a lot of the same amateur sleuthing elements of DFwC, in many ways the same story just with different objects and subjects. Give it a watch, I'm sure you'll at least like it.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.