Streaming Recommendations (Netflix, HBO, Amazon, etc.)

October 8th, 2022 at 6:16:02 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Thomas Harris (age 82) moved to NYC at age 24 to work for the Associated Press for 7 years. Harris wrote the novel after watching the 1972 Munich Olympics hostage crisis, where members of the Black September Organization took Israeli athletes hostage and murdered them. He published his first novel, Black Sunday, about a terrorist attack to commit mass murder at a Super Bowl using a blimp.

He knew the fundamental lesson about serial killers, "they sell newspapers'. So six years later he published his firs book about Hannibal Lecter.
October 14th, 2022 at 1:56:07 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I first read the Lord of the Rings trilogy right around 1980 and since then I've read it two more times. I'm really enjoying the extended versions of the three movies because they feel so much more like the books. These things are long the first two are almost four hours and the Return of the King is over 4 hours. I have not read the books since I first saw the movie Fellowship of the Ring in 2002 and I really should read the trilogy again because I'm sure I've forgotten a lot of it. But for turning books into a movie they did a pretty damn good job of capturing the essence of it. They have the extended versions of The Hobbit movies to and I will probably watch those next although they're not nearly as good has the Ring movies. You could not make these today it would cost too much. The number of people in costume at different times is astounding. I would definitely recast the Sean Astin character of Sam because I don't like him. But it is what it is.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 14th, 2022 at 6:03:17 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Aftershock, about the April 2015 Nepal earthquake. Killed 9000 including 18-19 Mount Everest Climbers. Three episodes riveting documentary on Netflix.

You get a strong feeling of what the apocalypse must feel like.
October 14th, 2022 at 2:09:25 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Pacomartin
Aftershock, about the April 2015 Nepal earthquake. Killed 9000 including 18-19 Mount Everest Climbers. Three episodes riveting documentary on Netflix.

You get a strong feeling of what the apocalypse must feel like.

Watching this now
On the final 3rd episode
So much suffering, watching it in peices
So scary being caught in this and cut off from the world
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 15th, 2022 at 12:14:42 PM permalink
Pacomartin
From September 17 through 18, 1989, Hurriance Hugos passed through the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico, leaving $3 billion in damage in its wake. I was on St Croix in the Virgin Islands at the time, and I could identify. The eye of the hurricane passed over me. A category 5 hurrican has wind speeds of 157 mph or higher, but they were telling us that Hugo was reaching 200 mph as it passed over the island of St Croix. It feels like things are exploding all around you, and we sat in the bathroom because we were afraid the roof might fall on us or the windows would explode with shreads of glass flying into our bodies.

Quote: terapined
On the final 3rd episode...

The third episode is actually very realistic. To quote the one Israelis, initially he was afraid, but awed by the level of natural devestation, but now he was afraid of humans.

That kind of natural disaster is unbelievably terrifying, but it was nothing compared to the rioting and gunfire and looting that went on in St. Croix after the hurricane. I remember the first helicopter that landed everone had machine gun because they heard that all the prisoners had escaped the local jail and were armed. At the time, the Virgin Islands had the highest murder rate of any state or territory in the US.

The Navy could land a P-3 (a surveillance plane) but I think their main objective was to get naval equipment off the island. However, they took us along with some children because we were navy employees. I did feel guilty because we were the first ones off the island. Of course we were at sea level and the runway was basically intact so other planes could land and evacuate.

Base Camp on Everest is at 17,600 ' of alitude, but Camp #1 is at 20,000' of altitude. I think there were thousands of people at Base Camp but 150 people at Camp #1. Between them is the Khumba Icefall an extremely dangerous climb supported by ladders over crevasses.

Since Camp #1 is at 20,000 feet it took three days to send a helicopter, and it could only carry three people because of the altitude. The destruction of paths and ladders over the crevasses through the icefall made it impossible to physically climb down the mountain. There was little food and no medical supplies and the continuing threat of avalanches that could be caused by the aftershocks.
October 15th, 2022 at 2:50:08 PM permalink
terapined
Wow
Great post Paco
Thanks for sharing your experience
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 16th, 2022 at 7:14:30 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: terapined
Thanks for sharing your experience

This was a little waterfront bar we went to the day before the storm. This photo made the NY papers.

Our chef decided to ride out the storm in a moored boat. They anchor them away from the docks so that they aren't battered by the storm. She barely survived with her young son.
October 16th, 2022 at 2:49:31 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
I can relate. The eye of Ian went over my house two weeks ago,
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
October 18th, 2022 at 6:23:23 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
I’m about 45 minutes into the remake of Hellraiser (on Hulu) and I actively dislike the main character.

I am hoping Pinhead shows up soon and disembowels her or something.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
October 21st, 2022 at 7:46:44 AM permalink
terapined
Just watched Ma Raineys Black Bottom on Netflix.
What a wonderful song
She also recorded Stack ol Lee Blues, aka Stagger Lee, a song the Grateful Dead played a lot.
She also wrote See See Rider, aka CC Rider. A song Elvis loved and typically opened his shows with. Grateful Dead also covered CC Rider
Really looking forward to visiting the Ma Rainey house here in Columbus GA