Streaming Recommendations (Netflix, HBO, Amazon, etc.)

October 5th, 2022 at 5:33:34 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Eat the rich
The Gamestop saga
This is really good
Really opened my eyes on how the app Robin Hood makes money and how they actually manipulated the stock market themselves and what their true motivations are.
Its shockingly not about their customers that use the app.
It's about protecting the huge hedge fund shorters losing billions on GME
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 5th, 2022 at 1:46:56 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I tried to watch rRngs of Power on Prime the super expensive take off on Lord of the Rings. I didn't make it to through first episode. The production values are off the chart but there's no story and the acting seems very wooden to me. I looked it up and it's getting some of the worst reviews I've ever seen from audience members. Critics like it but nobody else wants to watch it because it doesn't make any sense. It did get me to watch the original Lord of the Rings trilogy again which I started last night on HBO. They have the extended versions of all three movies and I haven't seen them in over 10 years. I forgot how good they are.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 5th, 2022 at 3:03:34 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: Evenbob
I tried to watch rRngs of Power on Prime the super expensive take off on Lord of the Rings. I didn't make it to through first episode. The production values are off the chart but there's no story and the acting seems very wooden to me. I looked it up and it's getting some of the worst reviews I've ever seen from audience members. Critics like it but nobody else wants to watch it because it doesn't make any sense. It did get me to watch the original Lord of the Rings trilogy again which I started last night on HBO. They have the extended versions of all three movies and I haven't seen them in over 10 years. I forgot how good they are.

I am afraid to watch the Amazon series. Even the Hobbit trilogy was terrible. The original trilogy was close to perfect, such great movies, and the extended version are even better (though I understand why they had to be cut for theaters).

The Lord of the Rings is one of my favorite book series, and the movies were so well done (and even the CGI holds up well).
October 5th, 2022 at 7:56:56 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Gandler
I am afraid to watch the Amazon series. Even the Hobbit trilogy was terrible. The original trilogy was close to perfect, such great movies, and the extended version are even better (though I understand why they had to be cut for theaters).

The Lord of the Rings is one of my favorite book series, and the movies were so well done (and even the CGI holds up well).

In watching The Fellowship of the Ring the first of the trilogy you know in the first 10 minutes of the movie what the entire movie is going to be about. Ppotecting the ring until it can be destroyed. This new series on Amazon you have no idea what the purpose is they never tell you and that's the biggest complaint it's just a rambling story with no reason behind it. Seems like all they do is fend off attacks from Orcs, who cares. And bicker with each other. It's getting horrendously bad reviews from the audience. I found it totally unwatchable I don't like not knowing what's going on. It's beautiful though, they poured a ton of money into this. It's like the old saying you can put lipstick on a pig and it's still a pig.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 5th, 2022 at 11:09:35 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Wife and I watched the first two parts of "Rings of Power" and while I can understand how some might not care for it, we enjoyed it and will continue to watch.

While I've not read why audiences criticize it, I suppose it's because they are "catching it cold," without having read any books about it.

In fact it is set thousands of years before "The Hobbit," and much of the ideas came from appendices Tokien attached to his works.

Well read fans of Tolkien will likely appreciate it while the dolts who drool over "The Masked Singer" just won't "get it."

Got it?
October 6th, 2022 at 12:28:29 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Thor was originally planned to be a three movie series. The first two were very serious in treating a story featuring Norse Gods. The 3rd one had a lot of silly stuff, and surprisingly made an extra $200 million over the 3rd one, So they made a 4th with the same director,

1) May 6, 2011 Thor $449,326,618
2) Nov 8, 2013 Thor: The Dark World $644,602,516
3) Nov 3, 2017 Thor: Ragnarok $850,482,778
4) Jul 8, 2022 Thor: Love and Thunder $746,017,064

Quote: Gandler

The Rings of Power seems to have not learned that lesson and is made with a great deal of reverence. As such the story drags a litle.
October 6th, 2022 at 8:34:23 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Dahmer – Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story has 500,000,000 streams
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 6th, 2022 at 10:06:23 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: rxwine
Dahmer – Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story has 500,000,000 streams
Are you recommending it? I see it advertised but it doesn't attract me, did you like it?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
October 7th, 2022 at 6:36:21 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: petroglyph
Are you recommending it? I see it advertised but it doesn't attract me, did you like it?

People are eating it up.

Actually, I was watching an interview with a person who interviewed him, and that was mentioned. I didn't see it.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 7th, 2022 at 9:36:59 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: rxwine
People are eating it up.

Actually, I was watching an interview with a person who interviewed him, and that was mentioned. I didn't see it.

I watched the 1st episode of Dahmer
It's the episode with his last intended victim and showing him getting caught.
I'm not watching the rest of it
No interest in several episodes of his life story

Netflix does have 2 Dahmer documentarys
One is about Dahmers life which I watched episode 1
The other is about his interviews called the Dahmer Tapes
The Dahmer tapes looks interesting
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"