New beekeeping with AZDuffman

October 7th, 2015 at 4:30:46 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
About a half hour or so away from me is a firm that wholesale's honey... collects it from several beekeepers as well as providing equipment and advice. Alot of rural beekeepers just do the work and don't try to do the marketing themselves because they find there is something like five or six vendors at a farmers market or fair selling the same type of products.
October 7th, 2015 at 9:16:35 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
I got stung between my fingers a week and a half ago while picking up a cooler. The bee was under the handle and got me when I grabbed the handle. I have been stung before, so it was odd when it didn't swell up until two days later. I thought it might be infected, but the Dr. says it is an increase in my sensitivity to being stung. The next time, he says, will be worse; so I need to be more careful.

Is this true with everybody? That you don't get immune to the venom over time and exposure, but more sensitive to it?
October 7th, 2015 at 9:32:36 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Ayecarumba
I got stung between my fingers a week and a half ago while picking up a cooler. The bee was under the handle and got me when I grabbed the handle. I have been stung before, so it was odd when it didn't swell up until two days later. I thought it might be infected, but the Dr. says it is an increase in my sensitivity to being stung. The next time, he says, will be worse; so I need to be more careful.

Is this true with everybody? That you don't get immune to the venom over time and exposure, but more sensitive to it?

I have heard this, and that you cannot be allergic until you are stung at least once. I doubt it was a bee, probably a wasp or hornet.
The President is a fink.
October 7th, 2015 at 12:45:18 PM permalink
AZDuffman
FINAL UPDATE OF SEASON

Checked the ladies one last time for the year. Temps in the northeast are soon to fall so I wanted to do one last full hive inspect. Almost got it done like I wanted to.

First thing, I made a hive-top feeder last month. Not sure how well it worked, when I looked inside it appeared many bees drowned feeding, but no dead bees when I opened the hive today. Going forward all that will be inside is solid food at least this season so it matters little. At the least I will have more "floats" on it in the spring.

They were very, very docile today. Might be because their numbers are falling for the overwinter or might just be my imagination.

Lots of capped honey. I burst a little of it removing the frames, they can seal it again. While I could not get into the bottom frames as they were sealed in pretty good, I see honey in them as well. Hopefully enough for the overwinter. I was able to take a very, very small amount of honey just to taste. Very smooth and soft.

So the time comes to plan for next season. I am not sure if I will order a new package or just attempt a hive-split. Trending towards the latter both to save $100 and to learn how to do it. The scary thing is if they do not survive the winter, but I figure I can worry about that in spring.
The President is a fink.
October 7th, 2015 at 1:07:55 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
What would be the deadline for ordering a new package? Do you need to get it in super early?
October 7th, 2015 at 1:19:52 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Ayecarumba
What would be the deadline for ordering a new package? Do you need to get it in super early?

You usually need to know by late winter at the latest.
The President is a fink.
October 7th, 2015 at 1:53:04 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
What do you hope to be your production amount of honey eventually? Also, can you sell bee's wax?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 7th, 2015 at 1:59:58 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: rxwine
What do you hope to be your production amount of honey eventually? Also, can you sell bee's wax?

I figure 40lb or so a year. Yes, beeswax sells though I hope to use it to make other things.
The President is a fink.
October 7th, 2015 at 9:18:06 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
If you make some candles I would be interested in purchasing some.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
October 8th, 2015 at 7:02:10 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: FrGamble
If you make some candles I would be interested in purchasing some.

Will be next year if I do but will let you know. Same deal with honey and anything else I make (lotions, balms, etc.)
The President is a fink.