New beekeeping with AZDuffman

October 8th, 2015 at 1:24:57 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: AZDuffman
I figure 40lb or so a year. Yes, beeswax sells though I hope to use it to make other things.

If you decide to sell some through a local flea market, (your own table or someone elses.) I think you should get some 8x10s photos of you removing the honey to set up on the table. Wear recognizable clothes in the photo if they can't see your face. (Duffman's Honey T-shirt) in the photo.

Then, "locally produced" on the bottles or sign. I think that might move more product. Authentic and all that. Especially, if you're standing there in same clothes.

Or not. But it's an idea.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 8th, 2015 at 1:31:13 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
If you decide to sell some through a local flea market, (your own table or someone elses.) I think you should get some 8x10s photos of you removing the honey to set up on the table. Wear recognizable clothes in the photo if they can't see your face. (Duffman's Honey T-shirt) in the photo.

Then, "locally produced" on the bottles or sign. I think that might move more product. Authentic and all that. Especially, if you're standing there in same clothes.

Or not. But it's an idea.

lol--my buddy already made me a T-Shirt! If I to post the photos of making the hive-top feeder I will post it. Any interest in how the feeder works from the group?

Good ideas, though not sure what I will wear when producing it. Messy job, and when I take it from the hive the bee suit is all white. Wearing the same shirt at the table though, that has possibilities. Or just make some set-up photos making it with the shirt.
The President is a fink.
October 8th, 2015 at 1:45:18 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
I'm interested to see how the feeder works. I watched a video by another guy, but couldn't see what was going on exactly. Is the sugar solution supposed to run down the frames to form a pool at the bottom of the box, or is it supposed to drip into a dish or plate between frames?

As for the shirt/label, I think you could simply paint your logo on the hive and take a picture of it. Displaying that photo would be enough of a match to prove provenance, and save on the T-shirt production costs... Unless you want to market T-shirts too. Folks love T-shirts.
October 8th, 2015 at 1:47:12 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: AZDuffman
Messy job,

Well, come to think of it, you only need to look like you're doing something. It's like those ads for food, they pour lacquer or something on the food sometimes. Totally inedible, but they're trying to make people want to buy.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 8th, 2015 at 2:00:16 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: rxwine
Well, come to think of it, you only need to look like you're doing something. It's like those ads for food, they pour lacquer or something on the food sometimes. Totally inedible, but they're trying to make people want to buy.

Right, all kinds of stuff they do to it. Looks good, though!

Quote: Ayecarumba
I'm interested to see how the feeder works. I watched a video by another guy, but couldn't see what was going on exactly. Is the sugar solution supposed to run down the frames to form a pool at the bottom of the box, or is it supposed to drip into a dish or plate between frames?

As for the shirt/label, I think you could simply paint your logo on the hive and take a picture of it. Displaying that photo would be enough of a match to prove provenance, and save on the T-shirt production costs... Unless you want to market T-shirts too. Folks love T-shirts.

OK, it has been asked ans will be shown. I'll explain more on how the feeding works when I post it, but just to say I can show the two feeders I have, mass-porduced and DIY. There are probably others.

The beauty on the shirt is a buddy made it as a gift so I don't have to do much to get the logo, just make a call. On honey, you would be amazed how many people want to buy, or at least say they do, when they find out you are doing this. As much as the honey I cannot wait to get the wax. I plan to melt and filter that using solar methods so as not to cook it or otherwise ruin it. But we have to wait until next summer for that.....
The President is a fink.
October 20th, 2015 at 5:16:03 PM permalink
AZDuffman
DO IT YOURSELF HIVE TOP FEEDER

Time for some DIY with the bees, and as requested, here is how the hive top feeder was made and works. First, we must learn how the old feeder worked. The old one replaced one of the frames. Sorry that I did not take a pic, but sometimes working with the ladies you just don't have time for pics of everything. Here is a stock photo of what mine looks like:

It fits in the frames like so, pretend the yellow feeder is the black one above:

It is a nice, simple system and works well. But has two issues. One is you need to open more of the hive to check it all out. Second is it does not hold enough feed sometimes. Third is it cannot hold solid feed. In nice weather you just mix sugar and water and pour it in. As it gets colder that can freeze, so you put solid "candy" in, which I still have to learn how to do. More on that when I do.

So I looked at the catalogs and saw the professional ones. Prices were high and the thing for once looked simple to make:

Sheese, I can make that! And have a fun afternoon doing it, wishing I had learned a trade (again......)

Get set up, my favorite tool!

Measured the hive, make a perfect rectangle:

Then two parallel pieces to make the two "pools."

Drywall screws hold it all together, driven by a cordless impact gun, another tool I have learned to love.

Plect-O-Glass on the bottom, it is very clear so you need to look close:

Now you can see the pools. All that needs to be done is seal it up with silicone then paint with the favorite sealer of Walter White (KILZ) EDIT: the pic is just some paint cans to hold down the glass on the DAP sealer while it dries. Call it Irish Engineering:

Sorry, forgot the final pic. Imagine it is all white. It sits on top of the hive and the bees just wonder up. It needs "floats" so they do not drown. I used some lathe of which I have tons lying around, but I did not use enough. Perhaps a thousand dead, drowned bees the next week. However, they were all cleaned out two weeks after. Serious, every last one. Bees are very neat ladies.

I do not know how late I can feed, I keep missing the beekeeper happy hours where they teach as my life gets busy. Trial and error and youtube may be my guides.
The President is a fink.
October 20th, 2015 at 6:06:19 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Good work AZD! Is there any concern about the wood leeching sap or chemicals like arsenic into the sugar water? Does the top need spacers or "windows" to allow light in for the bees to see where the food is? Do the bees defend the food source from flies or other bugs attracted to the sugar water?
October 21st, 2015 at 4:39:42 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Ayecarumba
Good work AZD! Is there any concern about the wood leeching sap or chemicals like arsenic into the sugar water? Does the top need spacers or "windows" to allow light in for the bees to see where the food is? Do the bees defend the food source from flies or other bugs attracted to the sugar water?

I used KILZ to seal the wood up so no worries about leeching. No light needed, they find their way around the hive in the dark. Not sure how they do it, but they find everything in the hive sooner or later. They will defend the hive against invaders, but ants are too small and mice too big so some things get in. I have a mouse guard for the later. Ants you cannot much help.
The President is a fink.
October 22nd, 2015 at 5:22:58 PM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
Just read through all of this. Fascinating stuff. Let us know how the winter goes.
October 22nd, 2015 at 7:57:34 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: boymimbo
Just read through all of this. Fascinating stuff. Let us know how the winter goes.

Yeah, you missed the earlier fun. I will say now that "how winter goes" will be known in spring. Can't open the hive w/o killing all the ladies. Glad you enjoyed.
The President is a fink.