Page 1 of 311234>Last »
June 26th, 2015 at 12:41:17 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
What does god have against Gays? SCOTUS said
today that Gays can do whatever they like , who
cares. I completely agree, who cares. Yet my
wife's uber Christian family is taking it like a slap
in the face, like they have been personally insulted.

Not my wife so much, she knows a lot of Gays
because of her antique business. But for whatever
obscure reason, god hates Gays, so his lockstep
followers hate them too. Silliness..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 26th, 2015 at 12:57:07 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Evenbob
What does god have against Gays? SCOTUS said
toda that Gays can do whatever they like , who
cares. I completely agree, who cares. Yet my
wife's uber Christian family is taking it like a slap
in the face, like they have been personally insulted.

Not my wife so much, she knows a lot of Gays
because of her antique business. But for whatever
obscure reason, god hates Gays, so his lockstep
followers hate them too. Silliness..

I'm an athest.
But if I was a Christian, my thinking would be God created Gays so its all good.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
June 26th, 2015 at 1:00:51 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Since I think the Bible was written entirely by people of Earth using facts and mythology combined, I think the majority just imposed values of the majority.

I'm sure they weighed certain behavior. Stoning all the drunks, was not practical, even though I'm sure no one really appreciated the drunks then or today when they are being a town nuisance.

Coming down on a smaller segment of more invisible people like homosexuals was practical.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 26th, 2015 at 1:55:16 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
The meltdown on the right is just a side bonus.

I suppose every candidate on the GOP will campaign for a constitutional amendment banning same sex marriage. Such a thing would fail so miserably, it would benefit the Democrats to keep it on center stage as long as possible. To begin with you need a supermajority in Congress to pass any kind of amendment. To continue, it requires a similar supermajority of the states to ratify it (or all of them? I'm not up in such things as of late). Have you ever tried to get more than seven people to agree to anything?

Next, the whole point of such a thing would be to strip away the rights of a minority. That would be difficult to do against a despised minority. Right now majorities in the US support marriage equality, so the chances of the GOP's base's dream amendment are so small as to make a proton seem like twice the size of the Universe in comparison.

The script on the Dem's side should be to accuse all GOP contenders of expending any resources on something even a blithering idiot would consider a fool's errand, only to pander to extremist, bigoted elements in their party.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
June 26th, 2015 at 2:49:59 PM permalink
Evenbob
Polygamy is the next one to fall. Nobody less
than the Chief Justice said today that if you
can make the giant leap to same sex marriage,
it's a very short leap to plural marriage. It's
already accepted in much of the world and
was accepted in this country until 1868. He
see's clearly that the argument used and
approved for same sex marriage totally applies
to plural marriage. It's a slam dunk.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 26th, 2015 at 3:02:58 PM permalink
rxwine
Polygamy is the next one to fall. Nobody less
than the Chief Justice said today that if you
can make the giant leap to same sex marriage,
it's a very short leap to plural marriage. It's
already accepted in much of the world and
was accepted in this country until 1868. He
see's clearly that the argument used and
approved for same sex marriage totally applies
to plural marriage. It's a slam dunk.

Since this is a religious topic (and while I feel FrGamble is outnumbered here and hate to drag him in) divorce was considered a scourge, that even Kings needed to figure out how to wrangle it to get rid of their wives. Divorce is still not quite accepted, but it's not treated like it once was either. Maybe that's bad? Maybe not.

Is polygamy the evil of all evils that is going to ruin the world? Not that I've heard. Maybe I missed something though. They're usually blaming other things, and maybe they just missed polygamy.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 26th, 2015 at 3:14:58 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: rxwine
Is polygamy the evil of all evils that is going to ruin the world? Not that I've heard.

Polygamy was practiced all thru the Bible.
It still is all over the world. It's only logical
that if five Gay guys want to get married
to each other to get the benefits of marriage,
why shouldn't they.

I just heard on the news that what the Catholic
Church teaches about Gay marriage in now
at odds with the law in the US. The Vatican
is put in it's place yet again..
June 26th, 2015 at 3:28:33 PM permalink
rxwine
Polygamy was practiced all thru the Bible.

Quote:
"So God said to him, 'Since you have asked for this and not for long life or wealth for yourself, nor have asked for the death of your enemies but for discernment in administering justice, I will do what you have asked...'" (1 Kings 3:11–12).[14] The Hebrew Bible also states that "The whole world sought audience with Solomon to hear the wisdom God had put in his heart." (1 Kings 10:24)[15]

"According to the Bible, Solomon had 700 wives and 300 concubines. "

God made him exceptionally wise. Hmm.
June 26th, 2015 at 3:36:57 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: rxwine
Since this is a religious topic (and while I feel FrGamble is outnumbered here and hate to drag him in) divorce was considered a scourge, that even Kings needed to figure out how to wrangle it to get rid of their wives.

Kings could always establish a new church.

Quote:
Is polygamy the evil of all evils that is going to ruin the world? Not that I've heard.

It's not even going to be a blip. There aren't enough people trying to enter into a multiple marriage to matter. Not in the West. It's not very workable, either. try to keep jealousies at bay, or from tearing things up. It works only if women, or men for that matter, are kept as property. Even then it won't work very well.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
June 26th, 2015 at 3:45:43 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Nareed
There aren't enough people trying to enter into a multiple marriage to matter.

Only most of the state of Utah. It
will not take much time till Gays
realize that multiple partners will
be beneficial. The court has to pass
it or cancel what they did today. Which
will never happen.
Page 1 of 311234>Last »