the death of coal?

Page 32 of 32« First<29303132
February 9th, 2023 at 7:51:04 AM permalink
DoubleGold
Threads: 30
Quote: rxwine
I believe the free market governed the actions in Pompei when it was buried under volcanic ash and lave. Free markets lag quite a bit unless you prefer doing everything after the actual disaster. Furthermore, production anomalies are hidden from the consumer. Asbestos in the ceilings for years. Lead in pipes. Airbags that are faulty. I can only tell if my apple is bruised or rotten. I can't detect what chemicals might be in it. Building codes won't be met on time if some other motivating force is not out there making it so. Bridges not maintained. Dams that should have been improved.

For example, if a local government keeps the price of drinking water artificially low (for poor people), and there's not enough moisture to replenish the water, then there will be a shortage.

If the water supply shrinks, then the price of water should rise, if the demand is constant.

That's how to conserve with free markets.

As soon as the government places an artificial price cap on a resource, then a shortage becomes very likely, especially if demand is growing.

And the resident will be forced to move away, poor or rich.
February 9th, 2023 at 8:01:08 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
There's no argument from me that there are natural forces at work and they don't go away.

But for comparison let's consider the current situation at Lake Mead next to Las Vegas for example. The equivalent of the climate change deniers could be arguing that the low levels have nothing to do with increased usage by humans but just a normal cycle. They could be arguing that mitigation efforts, like low flow faucets are just a scam to sell them something. I get it.

Seeing as Lake Mead is a man made lake I don't know that it should be used for comparison. The lake was not there at all before the Boulder dam.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
February 9th, 2023 at 8:01:14 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: DoubleGold
For example, if a local government keeps the price of drinking water artificially low (for poor people), and there's not enough moisture to replenish the water, then there will be a shortage.

If the water supply shrinks, then the price of water should rise, if the demand is constant.

That's how to conserve with free markets.

As soon as the government places an artificial price cap on a resource, then a shortage becomes very likely, especially if demand is growing.

And the resident will be forced to move away, poor or rich.

I think a lot of Republicans are currently trying to stop people from moving from less desirable places to a more desirable place across our border. Interfering with the free market?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 9th, 2023 at 8:03:40 AM permalink
DoubleGold
Nature is the boss not man.

Then man.

For example, to harness the energy of nature, we can't kill birds, because it goes against nature.

But man interferes by building these massive steel structures to harvest wind energy.

We kills off birds, take the metal structures down, and then go to the next thing to oppose nature.
February 9th, 2023 at 8:10:27 AM permalink
DoubleGold
I think a lot of Republicans are currently trying to stop people from moving from less desirable places to a more desirable place across our border. Interfering with the free market?

Or are they trying to keep Americans in (taxpayers)?

You know, a border wall goes two ways.

For example, the fence around the government structure they installed the other day.

Was it to keep people out or to keep people in?
February 9th, 2023 at 8:15:53 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: DRich
Seeing as Lake Mead is a man made lake I don't know that it should be used for comparison. The lake was not there at all before the Boulder dam.

I don't think that changes the principle of lakes natural or otherwise losing water levels where a growing community around it can no longer drain it to its needs. Like the original Las Vegas springs was drained completely in 1962. The natural support system died that year.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 9th, 2023 at 8:21:40 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: DoubleGold
Nature is the boss not man.

Then man.

For example, to harness the energy of nature, we can't kill birds, because it goes against nature.

But man interferes by building these massive steel structures to harvest wind energy.

We kills off birds, take the metal structures down, and then go to the next thing to oppose nature.

Human brain is an organic product. So it's usage to full capacity shouldn't be unnatural since that's what it can do.
February 9th, 2023 at 8:31:19 AM permalink
DoubleGold
Human brain is an organic product. So it's usage to full capacity shouldn't be unnatural since that's what it can do.

But we must submit to nature.

One way to find this out, is to buy some cattle and then go through a summer drought.

They eat and drink a bunch more than humans.

Try getting them through the winter.
February 10th, 2023 at 9:05:21 AM permalink
DoubleGold
Joe, I hate to break it to you, both you and Romney need to swap parties like Nikki did.

-------------------------------------------------------

Manchin furious with Biden White House over climate law's implementation: 'This is bulls--t'

The West Virginia Democratic senator reportedly claimed, 'I just totally and absolutely am disagreeing with what they’re doing'

https://www.foxnews.com/media/manchin-furious-biden-white-house-climate-laws-implementation-this-bulls-t

--------------------------------------------------------
Page 32 of 32« First<29303132