Penalty for Theft

Page 1 of 3123>
August 9th, 2015 at 4:59:41 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
As you may remember from when I used to argue about guns with boymimbo (where's he been, btw?), I don't necessarily believe in the use of deadly force when it comes to theft. I know I wouldn't kill someone over stealing my Xbox. I imagine I could envision a scenario where I think deadly force is reasonable, but for all intents and purposes, you don't kill someone over a "thing".

However, that is not to say I don't think physical force is reasonable. In fact, I might even go past "reasonable" and straight to "necessary".

I got robbed on Friday. Nothing huge, they just went into my unlocked truck, nabbed two cartons of smokes and a whole mess of quarters. Figure I'm out about $80. Because of where I live and the other goings-on in the town, I'm nearly certain it was a local job, and that the perp lives within shouting distance. And there is currently a new carton in my truck. And it's still unlocked.

Some say that the system is the proper course. Find, identify, turn em in. Let the courts decide. I can't say I'm cool with that. You see, "things" cost money. I'm a working man. The only way I get money is by sacrificing things which I cannot get back. My time, my health... my life. Work is means to an end. It allows me to live, by way of turning my time and labor into money. If you steal from me, you are stealing my life. Parts of my life that I sacrificed to earn the money to buy the thing, that is gone. I cannot recover that.

Some may say "Dude, it's a few packs of smokes and a handful of quarters. It ain't worth the time to worry about it." No. Eff that. I look at it as this @#$% just stole 8 hours of my life. Imagine some stranger went up to you and said "You're mine now". And for an undetermined number of hours, he made you perform labor. And at the end, he just turned you loose. What would you call that? Is that a crime as simple as "petty theft" or "petit larceny"? Or is it something a whole lot more severe?

That's the way I look at it. He didn't steal "$80" from me. He took my life, life which was spent commuting, spent on the side of a main road in a tin can as big rigs haul past at 60mph close enough to rock the truck and turn my mirrors inside out. I risked my health and safety for personal gain. And he took it. He stole it. And that really pisses me off.

So I dunno. I ain't gonna shoot him, obviously. But I certainly plan on catching him. And I really hope someday soon I'll be being questioned by the cops, and can give them the answer I want to give the most. "I dunno. I guess he fell." =p
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
August 9th, 2015 at 5:10:23 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I've been stolen from and take my word
for it, they will be back. You were an easy
mark and they always come back to where
they already scored. It's like giving money
to a homeless person, next time he sees
you he'll come running up like a dog you fed,
wanting more.

It's why I left CA. I owned a bar and always had
lots of liquor in the house. I finally had a
break in and all they took was the liquor. Kids,
I'm sure. In the next six months they broke
in 4 more times, even after I took measures
to stop them. I was a mark now, they knew
what I had and how to get it. I left the state
for good, they were also breaking into my
van at the bar. I can only imagine what it's
like there now.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 9th, 2015 at 5:48:26 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Can you somehow taint a smoke or several? Nothing to kill someone, just make them really sick for a few hours.
The President is a fink.
August 9th, 2015 at 6:16:17 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Face
So I dunno. I ain't gonna shoot him, obviously. But I certainly plan on catching him.

Be careful you don't wind up in prison.

What you said above is true: stealing property is equivalent to having a part of your life stolen. You wouldn't want to extend that part to a few years.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
August 9th, 2015 at 6:40:51 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Nareed
Be careful you don't wind up in prison.

What you said above is true: stealing property is equivalent to having a part of your life stolen.

You don't know what a personal invasion
it is till it happens to you. It's a personal
violation. Somebody sneaking around
and taking your stuff.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 9th, 2015 at 7:15:53 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 9th, 2015 at 7:38:44 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Face
I know I wouldn't kill someone over stealing my Xbox.
I made that decision long back. I determined I wouldn't shoot someone for a tank of gas, I would/did fire a warning round. With favorable results, what about a starter pistol? They wet themselves they are to embarrassed to come around much, : )
Quote:
but for all intents and purposes, you don't kill someone over a "thing".
agreed, you do that and the crook not only steals your past [your labor] they steal your future too.

If you leave your keys in your ignition and a thief steals your car, you are part responsible in the eyes of the law. It might seem unfair, but what about locking your car? I know, I know, shouldn't have too. It's reality man, it's your cigs. Maybe the bad guy was just looking out for your health? : )

How bout this, I am guessing you didn't get that dog. The best security known to civilized man and keeps the kid busy too.

Quote:
I look at it as this @#$% just stole 8 hours of my life. Imagine some stranger went up to you and said "You're mine now".
Like Leo's? The tax man, the school principle, the x, etc. Always somebody wanting sumpthin. If they didn't want something, they wouldn't talk to me at all. Finding out what that is, is the trick. Anger management, face. Kids will change ya.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
August 9th, 2015 at 8:51:28 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
You work hard, you are good with your hands and tools and know a bit about electronics...

arduino and rasberry Pi may be your solution. flir motion detectors, infrared spotlights, cameras... even if your truck door opens a switch is tripped even if the domelight no longer goes on.

You should be able to do audio and video with no real trouble at all.
August 10th, 2015 at 6:41:45 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: AZDuffman
Can you somehow taint a smoke or several? Nothing to kill someone, just make them really sick for a few hours.

I don't think you could be sure he wasn't selling it
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
August 10th, 2015 at 11:35:39 AM permalink
RedNeckerson
Threads: 5
That sucks man. Here in Texas you'd have every right to dole a good old fashioned ass kicking.

A shooting might be a tough sell though. Even here in Texas.
Page 1 of 3123>