Airport traffic

Page 12 of 13« First<910111213>
May 9th, 2016 at 5:52:36 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Nareed
If the plane makers are aiming or stumbling into long-haul narrow bodies, they should spare a thought or two to the actual people flying fourth class.

Maybe it is time to bring back the old passenger ship term for planes and cal it "steerage".
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
May 9th, 2016 at 7:15:45 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: kenarman
Maybe it is time to bring back the old passenger ship term for planes and cal it "steerage".

I think Nareed suggested that. But I think that should wait until they sell standing room tickets.

Quote: Pacomartin
That's funny. Can you imagine the FAA telling the airlines that to be in compliance with "truth in advertising" they must call it "steerage" class.
Originally in the part of the ship where the steering apparatus was, it's current meaning "section of a ship with the cheapest accommodations," first recorded 1804.
Steerage class in 1906.
May 9th, 2016 at 7:48:52 PM permalink
kenarman
Paco didn't you show a proposed seating arrangement in a previous post that showed semi-standing seats. Can we least agree that would be steerage ;-)
May 9th, 2016 at 8:22:36 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Paco didn't you show a proposed seating arrangement in a previous post that showed semi-standing seats. Can we least agree that would be steerage ;-)

I agree. Once you have to stand or squat through a flight, then I think that steerage is the correct term.

Early designs are shown with attractive thin models.

Do you remember how we discussed that seats have to be in an upright position primarily because they would slow down an evacuation. Now I think they will have to issue cyanide pills in the event that you are going to burned to death in a fiery jet crash. Because you are not getting out of those seats.

Of course, moving Hannibal Lecter will be easy

And getting 7 across in narrow-body aircraft where 6 was the norm

Makes you long for the days when airline seats looked like grandma's sofa
May 9th, 2016 at 8:27:32 PM permalink
kenarman
Quote: Pacomartin
I agree. Once you have to stand or squat through a flight, then I think that steerage is the correct term.

Early designs are shown with attractive thin models.

Do you remember how we discussed that seats have to be in an upright position primarily because they would slow down an evacuation. Now I think they will have to issue cyanide pills in the event that you are going to burned to death in a fiery jet crash. Because you are not getting out of those seats.

Of course, moving Hannibal Lecter will be easy

And getting 7 across in narrow-body aircraft where 6 was the norm

Makes you long for the days when airline seats looked like grandma's sofa

I have been flying for 50 years but I don't remember when the stewardess' lazed fetchingly across the seats like that.
May 10th, 2016 at 6:05:55 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346

I have.

In fact I'd say today the classes are:

First class, usually called "First Class," is some airlines
Second class, usually called "Business Class"
Third class, termed things like "Economy Plus," or "Economy Comfort."
Fourth class, regular economy in mainline carriers
Steerage, Ryanair, Spirit, etc.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
May 11th, 2016 at 7:42:20 AM permalink
Nareed
Here's the dilemma about the evolution of passenger air travel:

On the one hand, today's business class passengers wouldn't spit on first class seating from the 80s and 90s. On the other hand, today's economy passengers pay extra for 80s and 90s style economy seating and service.
May 12th, 2016 at 6:47:26 AM permalink
Nareed
Browsing Flight Radar late yesterday evening, I counted no fewer than 5 regional jets lining up to land at MEX, and at least 3 more departing MEX. All were Aeromexico flights.

There was also an AM 737 outbound, and one Viva A320.
May 12th, 2016 at 7:10:40 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Nareed
Browsing Flight Radar late yesterday evening, I counted no fewer than 5 regional jets lining up to land at MEX, and at least 3 more departing MEX. All were Aeromexico flights.

There was also an AM 737 outbound, and one Viva A320.

Is that less or more than typical? Do the regional jets generally use a different airport?
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
May 12th, 2016 at 7:19:47 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: DRich
Is that less or more than typical?

I've no idea. It struck me as many.

Usually around that time, 10-11 pm, I look for the transatlantic flights over the US.

Quote:
Do the regional jets generally use a different airport?

No. There's just the one airport. Toluca is pretty much dying. At its heyday, though, the only regionals were United's to IAH. The bulk of all operations were Interjet's and Volaris' A320s and a few A319s.

BTW the new Mex City airport will replace rather than complement the old one. While there are three airports nearby (Toluca, Cuernavaca and Atizapan), none ever worked as a reliever, second or complementary airport. AM tried to do that with Toluca in the 90s, but that failed.
Page 12 of 13« First<910111213>