Uber?

November 29th, 2016 at 5:34:48 PM permalink
buzzardknot
Threads: 7
http://valleywag.gawker.com/uber-driver-heres-how-we-get-around-background-checks-1596982249

Interesting point about who is the driver that picks you up? Is he the guy who was checked or a buddy moonlighting for him ? With taxis, there is a pix on dash, plus taxi cops pull over cabs from time to time and might catch an unregulated driver. Never gonna happen with Uber.
November 29th, 2016 at 6:20:21 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: buzzardknot
http://valleywag.gawker.com/uber-driver-heres-how-we-get-around-background-checks-1596982249

Interesting point about who is the driver that picks you up? Is he the guy who was checked or a buddy moonlighting for him ? With taxis, there is a pix on dash, plus taxi cops pull over cabs from time to time and might catch an unregulated driver. Never gonna happen with Uber.

People wonder why so many things get tied up in so many regulations. You just have to watch a bare bones startup like Uber over time and see what happens to it. I wonder how much uber has had to change since conception? I bet a lot more than people realize.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 29th, 2016 at 6:38:00 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
When I had the cab co, only a state
background check was made and
no fingerprints were taken. It
was the 80's. Now it's FBI check,
fingerprints, they get your SS number.
In the 80's no driver paid taxes because
nobody in the gov't knew what you were
doing. Taking home $350 a week was
was like making $500 a week in a
regular job.

Even when some dumbass got caught,
there were no records of his days worked
or who he picked up. In the movies
the cops are always calling cab co's
for info on who a driver picked up.
We weren't required to keep those
records, so we didn't.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 29th, 2016 at 6:51:13 PM permalink
Aussie
Threads: 2

You get given a picture of the driver when they accept the job. Unless they have an identical twin then it will be pretty obvious that someone else is driving the car.
November 29th, 2016 at 8:20:14 PM permalink
buzzardknot
Quote: Evenbob
When I had the cab co, only a state
background check was made and
no fingerprints were taken. It
was the 80's. Now it's FBI check,
fingerprints, they get your SS number.
In the 80's no driver paid taxes because
nobody in the gov't knew what you were
doing. Taking home $350 a week was
was like making $500 a week in a
regular job.

Even when some dumbass got caught,
there were no records of his says worked
or who he picked up. In the movies
the cops are always calling cab co's
for info on who a driver picked up.
We weren't required to keep those
records, so we didn't.

My dad drove a cab in the 50's. Had to keep a trip sheet. Just where picked up- dropped off. Plus I know a few of his buddies got in trouble when Feds said had to put , I think it was 10%, down as tips. Some just put down 10% of their share of the manifest or nothing and got caught, set up a payment plan, and missed a payment. Would go in the office and no check, IRS took it all.
This was in Baltimore. They had taxi GESTAPO haha cars. You would get pulled over and written up or a tkt, not sure which, if you had a passenger and did not throw the flag.
SIDEBAR New cabs, take our original seat covers, chrome, etc. Back then odomoter might say 56K, but was really 356K miles. Run it down to a southern state, transfer title, retitle , some con, bring back to Maryland, sell as 56K in almost new condition.
Back then you did not rent the cab, taxi owner provided gas, you had to pay whatever meter total was, then get I think 55% of that weekly in a check.
My Dad used to run from Midnight to 2 am from bar to bar in black side of town. Never, or rarely, threw the flag. Drunks leave everything in a cab. One left a push lawn mower in the trunk. Guy lived a few blocks from us, so Dad made me mow the lawn after dark.
November 29th, 2016 at 8:30:19 PM permalink
buzzardknot
Quote: Aussie
You get given a picture of the driver when they accept the job. Unless they have an identical twin then it will be pretty obvious that someone else is driving the car.

Did not knows that. Still would like Uber to check fingerprints and do a real background check ! Anybody know who is liable in accident if drivers insurance has lapsed, is driver required to have more than minimum insurance, are Ubers big pockets at risk ?
November 30th, 2016 at 2:09:40 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Did not knows that. Still would like Uber to check fingerprints and do a real background check ! Anybody know who is liable in accident if drivers insurance has lapsed, is driver required to have more than minimum insurance, are Ubers big pockets at risk ?

I don't know that fingerprints are such a big deal. I have had many jobs in banking and think I was fingerprinted only once, maybe twice. It felt like such a cool and important thing. I just doubt they really run them against databases for each and every person. More a peace of mind thing.
The President is a fink.
November 30th, 2016 at 5:56:49 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
" I presume you have a different opinion? On the same line of thinking, how would you feel about a convicted paedophile who has already served his time wanting to work in a day care centre? "

Ball is in your court SOOPOO. Nothing personal, just awaiting your reply.

I'll take you up on it buzzy.... My real opinion is that a convicted pedophile always be given a life sentence. Same for any violent crime. Someone commits an armed robbery.... throw away the key! Of course I agree with you, but my question was a real one.... Can that convicted pedophile be a clerk at Home Depot? A real estate agent? A professional football player? A shoe salesman? if we let them out of prison we must hope they become gainfully employed, right?
November 30th, 2016 at 6:37:29 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: SOOPOO
I'll take you up on it buzzy.... My real opinion is that a convicted pedophile always be given a life sentence. Same for any violent crime. Someone commits an armed robbery.... throw away the key! Of course I agree with you, but my question was a real one.... Can that convicted pedophile be a clerk at Home Depot? A real estate agent? A professional football player? A shoe salesman? if we let them out of prison we must hope they become gainfully employed, right?

The best bet of former felons seems to be bar/food service or some kind of manual labor away from the public. I had a felon interview once. Interview was over when she said she was just released from prison. Not bad looking girl iirc but we could not hire her as it was a position involving trust and money.
The President is a fink.
November 30th, 2016 at 7:33:07 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51

I'm guessing you haven't used Uber because they do make a picture of the driver available.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.