Uber?

November 30th, 2016 at 7:42:07 AM permalink
buzzardknot
Threads: 7
you be guessing right. Ain't no Uber here. If not for Medicaid paying for dr visits, hospital runs, etc, would hardly be no taxis.
Population 58K American Indian 1 % Black or African American Less than 1% People in poverty 18%
November 30th, 2016 at 1:59:28 PM permalink
Aussie
Threads: 2
Quote: AZDuffman
The best bet of former felons seems to be bar/food service or some kind of manual labor away from the public. I had a felon interview once. Interview was over when she said she was just released from prison. Not bad looking girl iirc but we could not hire her as it was a position involving trust and money.

And this is exactly the point of a criminal check for people before they are able to drive for uber. Uber are not checking for the guy who wrote a few bad checks or the guy who did one stupid thing 25 years ago. They are looking for the people with a proven history of violent crime and would therefore pose an unacceptable risk to the passenger.
November 30th, 2016 at 2:15:01 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: SOOPOO
I'll take you up on it buzzy.... My real opinion is that a convicted pedophile always be given a life sentence. Same for any violent crime. Someone commits an armed robbery.... throw away the key!

Old feudal Japan had an almost
zero crime rate. The punishment
for every crime was death. Rape,
murder, theft, you were put to
death, usually by crucifixion. There
was a short trial and you were dead
two days later. You had to be off
your rocker to commit crimes under
a system like that.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 31st, 2016 at 7:34:28 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Driverless Uber/Lyft cars mean fewer harvestable organs. Ban Uber, Keep ERs Open.
December 31st, 2016 at 8:12:02 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I have had nothing but good experiences with Uber here in the US. However, I tried to use it a number of times in Costa Rica. It is definitely a lot cheaper there than a taxi. About 1/3 as cheap. However, successfully getting one can be a problem. It is hard to put into words the experiences I had. I will say from the capital of San Jose it went pretty well. However, from small towns it is difficult to connect and sometimes you're never really sure if the driver got the request and/or if he truly understands where you are. Once, trying to get a ride near Jaco, Uber thought I was somewhere in the Pacific Ocean. Once in San Jose I got a ride in about five seconds at 2AM from a part of town where people work but are generally not out late at night. I was very impressed. However, when I got in his car he had trouble confirming the pick-up and got called to pick up somebody else. He tried to kick me out but I said I would just get out where the next passenger was located because I knew it was a 10-minute walk from my hotel. Keep in mind that San Jose is kind of a dangerous place at night. I probably would have taken a cab had he dropped me off. The driver seemed stressed out about what to do but in the end took me to my hotel, which was not easy to find.

The rates the Uber drivers charge in Costa Rica is ridiculously cheap. I don't see how they can make a living doing it. I don't remember the details exactly but a hour ride might cost the equivalent of $5. They don't try to sell you drugs either, like the cabbies do. They strictly drive where I think any Costa Rica cab driver will get you whatever you might ask for...at a price.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
December 31st, 2016 at 10:04:34 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Wizard

The rates the Uber drivers charge in Costa Rica is ridiculously cheap. I don't see how they can make a living doing it. .

How can they afford a decent Uber car
if they make so little money. Doesn't
make sense.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 1st, 2017 at 7:36:48 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Evenbob
How can they afford a decent Uber car
if they make so little money. Doesn't
make sense.

Decent is a relative term when travelling abroad. The average worker makes around $3 per hour.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
January 1st, 2017 at 12:19:35 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: DRich
Decent is a relative term when travelling abroad. The average worker makes around $3 per hour.
That may be why so many English speaking enclaves exist in Costa Rica where in the "look and feel" is that of Bakersfield, California, social security checks get cashed easily and replacement parts for your yacht are not subject to excessive taxation. Servants and services tend to be cheap. Lyft/Uber are sources of income even if the locals have to 'shave points' to get the business.
January 1st, 2017 at 1:38:30 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Fleastiff
That may be why so many English speaking enclaves exist in Costa Rica where in the "look and feel" is that of Bakersfield, California

Is that good or bad?
The President is a fink.
January 1st, 2017 at 2:25:25 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: AZDuffman
Is that good or bad?
Depends on your views...'Bakersfield' is the literary equivalent of 'New Jersey' in describing places. You can be in Costa Rica and see nothing but pick up tricks, hear nothing but English being spoken despite some signange in Spanish, be invited to BBQs, drink beer, have any food item you can get in the USA .... but your dollars go very far.