Uber?

October 9th, 2018 at 3:40:37 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: DRich
Purchases with a debit cards open you up to the possibility of liability that doesn't exist with credit cards.

Which raises a question about digital currency. Even if there is digital currency, it is an open question about how many people would use it.
They might use digital currency to purchase insignificant items as they don't want to carry cash, but they would find plain old credit is a safer way to make larger purchases or rent an automobile.
October 9th, 2018 at 5:11:39 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: DRich
Purchases with a debit cards open you up to the possibility of liability that doesn't exist with credit cards.

Frank Abignale, the guy that Catch Me If
You Can was about, is a leading FBI expert
on money. He won't own a debit card and
pays for everything with CC's. He says it's
not possible to be successfully defrauded
using CC's. I don't believe he even has a
bank account.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 25th, 2018 at 12:59:06 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Every time I'm in Vegas now they always send me those self-driving Lyfts.

Of course, they're no where near self-driving yet. There is a driver there to grab the wheel in case the car does anything funny and another guy with a laptop to monitor things.

They're not allowed to self-drive on the strip properties, only once they turn onto the strip do they switch from manual to autonomous driving.

The cars themselves are pretty neat (nice new BMWs). They won't let you take pictures inside the car though due to "intellectual property" concerns.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
December 23rd, 2018 at 10:44:10 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Asia's Uber/Lyft equivalent known as Grab used a team of Indian outsourced programmers to edit Open Souce Maps with inaccurate clutter of interest only to Grab. battle brewing.
source is /.
January 8th, 2019 at 7:45:59 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
It appears Uber is not really the profitable company we thought it was. "Uber has managed to create an image of inevitability and invincibility. But the company just posted another quarter of jaw-dropping losses — this time over $1 billion, after $4.5 billion of losses in 2017"

Full Article
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
January 8th, 2019 at 8:01:43 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: kenarman
It appears Uber is not really the profitable company we thought it was. "Uber has managed to create an image of inevitability and invincibility. But the company just posted another quarter of jaw-dropping losses — this time over $1 billion, after $4.5 billion of losses in 2017"

I have heard in the past they have not made any money. I think the better idea is quit the self-driving idea and just be the rideshare platform. Yet again a bunch of "smart" people inventing what is not needed.
The President is a fink.
January 8th, 2019 at 9:03:21 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: AZDuffman
I have heard in the past they have not made any money. I think the better idea is quit the self-driving idea and just be the rideshare platform. Yet again a bunch of "smart" people inventing what is not needed.

If you read the article it appears even the ride hailing is not making any money. The authors take is Uber is a transportation company and load factor is the key factor to profit. Their business plan does not concentrate on maxing that.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
January 8th, 2019 at 9:39:41 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: kenarman
If you read the article it appears even the ride hailing is not making any money. The authors take is Uber is a transportation company and load factor is the key factor to profit. Their business plan does not concentrate on maxing that.

Over 20 years later and people at some levels still think if it is online it must be making money.
The President is a fink.
January 8th, 2019 at 10:00:10 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman
Over 20 years later and people at some levels still think if it is online it must be making money.

All their overhead is in office workers
and tech. They manufacture nothing,
import nothing, they should be making
nothing but money. They're being
ripped off somewhere by a lot of
people.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 8th, 2019 at 10:16:00 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Evenbob
All their overhead is in office workers
and tech. They manufacture nothing,
import nothing, they should be making
nothing but money. They're being
ripped off somewhere by a lot of
people.

That is what I keep thinking. Even if you assume it took some serious coding, by now that should run like butter.
The President is a fink.