Yet another aviation thread.

September 18th, 2017 at 10:50:10 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
AFAIK those kind of "milk run" flights are illegal. I believe you can fly from your home country to one foreign destination, and forward to only one more destination.

When Singapore Airlines stopped their nonstop from SIN-LAX and SIN-EWR they replaced them with A380 two stage routes SIN-NRT-LAX and SIN-FRA-JFK . They can sell tickets for any leg. Those are called 5th Freedom flights.

Singapore Airlines with the second largest A380 fleet (19 aircraft) has the second largest list of A380 destinations.

From & To Singapore
Auckland
Beijing
Delhi
Frankfurt
Hong Kong
London
Los Angeles
Melbourne
Mumbai
New York
Paris
Shanghai
Sydney
Tokyo
Zurich

Quote: Nareed
The 787 family, on the other hand, excels at origin-destination routes. and it is the rise of the latter that's hurting A380 sales.

I would say they are good at hub-destination routes.

United has flights now from their hub in San Francisco and Chengdu where Chengdu is more of a destination and not a transfer point.

Beijing–Capital, Chengdu, Hangzhou , Hong Kong, Honolulu, London–Heathrow, Osaka–Kansai, Paris–Charles de Gaulle, Seoul–Incheon, Shanghai–Pudong, Singapore, Sydney, Taipei–Taoyuan, Tel Aviv–Ben Gurion, Tokyo–Haneda, Tokyo–Narita Seasonal: Auckland, Munich, Xi'an, Zürich (begins June 7, 2018)

Looking at the 13 airlines with the A380 I believe only Qantas flies them out of two airports in their home country. Qantas flies an A380 from both Sydney and Melbourne to LAX.

Del / Ord Undeliver : Airline Country
96 / 142 46 : EMIRATES UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
19 / 24 5 : SINGAPORE AIRLINES SINGAPORE
14 / 14 0 : LUFTHANSA GERMANY
12 / 20 8 : QANTAS AIRWAYS AUSTRALIA
12 / 12 0 : BRITISH AIRWAYS UNITED KINGDOM
10 / 10 0 : ETIHAD AIRWAYS UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
10 / 10 0 : KOREAN AIR KOREA, REPUBLIC OF
10 / 10 0 : AIR FRANCE FRANCE
8 / 10 2 : QATAR AIRWAYS QATAR
6 / 6 0 : MALAYSIA AIRLINES MALAYSIA
6 / 6 0 : THAI AIRWAYS INTERNATIONAL THAILAND
6 / 6 0 : ASIANA AIRLINES KOREA, REPUBLIC OF
5 / 5 0 : CHINA SOUTHERN AIRLINES COMPANY CHINA

As for USA airlines, American has not flown a 4 engine jet in three decades. United has to many hubs in USA to want a large plane. For instance, I think they fly to Tokyo from 9 destinations. Airbus knew that the only potential customer was Delta, but Delta's finances have been so bad that most of their widebody fleet is ancient. By the time they recovered that A350 was an attractive alternative to the A380.

The combined widebody fleet of American-United-Delta (age in years)
AGE - WIDEBODY - NUMBER
23.0 Boeing 747 20
20.2 Boeing 767 164
14.2 Boeing 777 171
2.0 Boeing 787 61
9.7 Airbus A330 66
0.2 Airbus A350 1

The widebody fleet of Emirates (age in years)
6.2 Boeing 777 161
4.0 Airbus A380 95

Emirates has almost as many 777s as combined triple fleet in USA, and they are less than half as old.
September 18th, 2017 at 1:04:26 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
AFAIK those kind of "milk run" flights are illegal.

I was afraid of that.

Quote:
Looking at the 13 airlines with the A380 I believe only Qantas flies them out of two airports in their home country. Qantas flies an A380 from both Sydney and Melbourne to LAX.

I suppose Lufthansa could fly them off somewhere other than Frankfurt, but they don't seem to do much of that in any case (blame it on the cold war).

I won't comment on the others, except that emirates and Singapore pretty much operate from city-states.

I suppose sometime soon a 4-engine passenger jet will look as odd as a Ford tri-motor.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
September 18th, 2017 at 5:00:33 PM permalink
Pacomartin
I suppose Lufthansa could fly them off somewhere other than Frankfurt, but they don't seem to do much of that in any case (blame it on the cold war).

Lufthansa has a large secondary hub at Munich, and they fly from Munich 9 USA destinations: Boston, Charlotte, Chicago–O'Hare, Denver, Los Angeles, New York–JFK, Newark, San Francisco, Washington–Dulles

But they only fly their A380 from & to Frankfurt to five destinations in the USA: Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, New York-JFK, San Francisco
Lufthansa also flies A380s to seven Asian destinations Seoul, Shanghai, Singapore, Bangkok, Beijing, Delhi, and Hong Kong

I won't comment on the others, except that emirates and Singapore pretty much operate from city-states.

Consider the Sydney to Los Angeles route. It is probably the most competitive route in the world that is that distance. Five airlines: American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, Qantas, United Airlines, and Virgin Australia. With five airlines Qantas is probably not going to be able to fly more than once a day, so to give it a competitive advantage it flies an A380.

Qantas uses the A380 to compete on the Melbourne to Los Angeles airport with United Airlines (Dreamliner) and Virgin Australia (Boeing 777-300ER). AFAIK Qantas is the only airline to fly the A380 from more than one airport in it's home country.

Qantas also flies the A380 from Sydney to DFW. It gets a competitive advantage because of the range of an A380. DFW is more convenient of a transfer point for people going to East coast.

Qantas uses it's remaining 6 A380s to fly from Sydney and Melbourne to London (via Dubai).

The bottom line is the A380 was Introduced Ten Years Before Its Time.

Jennifer Aniston got so much crap for her A380 nightmare commercial that they made her the hero in the next commercial

September 19th, 2017 at 7:32:13 AM permalink
Nareed
The bottom line is the A380 was Introduced Ten Years Before Its Time.

Maybe. But maybe it still remains to be seen. Maybe it caught the wrong trend. Maybe in four years airlines will be demanding a VLA no longer in production.

I wonder what's the biggest airplane that can be made.
September 19th, 2017 at 9:24:59 AM permalink
Nareed
BTW, Air Canada will begin flying narrow bodies between Toronto and Montreal to Ireland and Scotland.
September 19th, 2017 at 10:38:31 AM permalink
Pacomartin
BTW, Air Canada will begin flying narrow bodies between Toronto and Montreal to Ireland and Scotland.

Quote: Business Traveller
Shannon-Toronto and Dublin-Montreal and Air Canada will be deploying B737 MAX 8 aircraft and both will operate four times a week. But what sets Air Canada apart from its rivals already operating B737 MAX transatlantic flights is that it will adopt a two-class (business and economy) configuration.It means both these services will have more appeal to business people than do Norwegians dense all-economy B737 MAX flights now operating transatlantic service from the UK and Ireland. These Air Canada routes above are seasonal service which will operate in summer 2018.

So far Aibus has 6 A321neo to leasing companies. But once this plane gets more widespread, you should see more Transatlantic services.
The standard version has a range of 3,500 nmi while the Long Range version is 4,000 nmi.

Shannon Ireland to Seattle is 3912 nm and DFW is 3811 nm away.

Widebody Service from Shannon
Aer Lingus Boston Seasonal: New York–JFK
American Airlines Seasonal: Philadelphia
Delta Air Lines Seasonal: New York–JFK
United Airlines Seasonal: Chicago–O'Hare, Newark

Narrowbody Service from Shannon
Norwegian Air Shuttle Newburgh, Providence
Air Canada Seasonal: Toronto–Pearson (begins 2 June 2018)

I should think at the very least there will be narrowbody service to Miami or Charlotte NC

On 31 July 2017, flydubai took delivery of its first Boeing 737 MAX 8, making it the first carrier in the Middle East to operate the type. That will bring more smaller European airports within range of Dubai for transfers to Asia.

You might be able to take a 737-8MAX from Ireland to Singapore via Dubai. That's a scary thought.
September 19th, 2017 at 10:59:08 AM permalink
Pacomartin

With a good alliance, you may be able to purchase round the world tickets on a narrow body flights. The hypothetical route has only Tokyo-Honolulu at 3350 nm for longest leg. The total route is 18,000 nm for all 7 segments.

Maybe even more exotic round the world trips might be possible.
September 19th, 2017 at 12:02:23 PM permalink
Nareed
Maybe even more exotic round the world trips might be possible.

IMO a true round the world trip ought to be as long as a full equatorial circumference of the Earth. That's over 40,000 kilometers.

I mean, you could stand at the South Pole (or the North Pole), and technically circle the world in a dozen steps.

But, yeah, it's scary to be able to do this on narrow body aircraft.
September 19th, 2017 at 12:16:15 PM permalink
Pacomartin
IMO a true round the world trip ought to be as long as a full equatorial circumference of the Earth. That's over 40,000 kilometers.

I mean, you could stand at the South Pole (or the North Pole), and technically circle the world in a dozen steps.

But, yeah, it's scary to be able to do this on narrow body aircraft.

If you are trying to set a record that is true. It looks like Boeing used the Tropic of Cancer for their round the world record.

Quote: Dec 2011 Dreamliner , ZA006, went around the world this week in less than 43 hours.

http://boeing.mediaroom.com/2011-12-08-Boeing-787-Dreamliner-Sets-Speed-Distance-Records

(19,835 +18,027 = 37862 km) The airplane set a new record for speed around the world (eastbound) with a total trip time of 42 hours and 27 minutes. There was no previous around-the-world speed record for this weight class.

But for ticket prices it is not necessary. They put a minimum travel time of 10 days so that most businessmen can't use these fares when travelling to singapore or Hong Kong (for instance).

Quote: Rules and Reference Guide for Round the World Tickets SkyTeam AeroMexico and Delta

Destinations
1,062 destinations in 177 countries

Carriers
AF, AM, AR, AZ, CI, CZ, DL, GA, FM, KQ, KE, KL, MF, ME, MU, OK, RO, SU, SV, UX, VN
Codeshares on non-SkyTeam carriers not permitted

Routing
Travel must begin and end in the same country.

Travel must include at least (but not more than) :
-one transatlantic flight
-one transpacific flight
-one flight between area 2 and area 3.

Area 1: All of the North and South American Continents and the islands adjacent thereto, Greenland, Bermuda, the West Indies and the Islands of the Caribbean Sea, the Hawaiian Islands (including Midway and Palmyra).
Area 2: Europe, Africa and the islands adjacent thereto, Ascension Islands and that part of Asia west of Ural mountains, including Iran and the Middle East.
Area 3: Asia and the islands adjacent thereto except the portion included in Area 2; the East Indies, Australia, New Zealand and the islands of the Pacific Ocean except those included in Area 1.

Fares available
4 fare levels for a max. mileage up to:
26.000 miles (fare basis: RTWSKY 4)*
29.000 miles (fare basis: RTWSKY 3)
33.000 miles (fare basis: RTWSKY 2)
38.000 miles (fare basis: RTWSKY 1)

Mileage for surface sectors to be included in the maximum permitted mileage calculation.

Number of segments
4 to 16 coupons for RTWSKY4
3 to 16 coupons for RTWSKY3, RTWSKY2 and RTWSKY1

Reservations / Ticketing
Reservations required for all flights prior to departure.

7 days for the 1st intercontinental flight only. Ticketing must be done within 72 hours after booking and at least 7 days before departure whichever is earlier.
D-7 for the 1st intercontinental flight only.

Min/Max. stay
Between 10 days after first international departure and 1 year
* Exception: origin Japan and South West Pacific : 5 days

Stopovers & Transfers
TRANSFERS
Max 15 permitted

STOPOVERS
Min. 2 required /Max.15 permitted for RTWSKY3, RTWSKY2 and RTWSKY1
Min. 3 required/Max. 5 permitted for RTWSKY4

At least 1 stopover required in each world area other than the origin world area
Maximum stopovers: 3 in Scandinavia, 5 in Europe, 3 in any one country

2 transfers permitted in the same city but only one stopover permitted in any one city
Surface sector counts as 1 stopover

Class of service
Economy, Business & First

Pass combinability
All other SkyTeam Go Passes may be issued in connection with the Go Round the World Pass

Child fare
Infant (without seat): 10% of the fare
Infant (with a seat) : 75% of the fare
Child 2-11 years (accompanied): 75% of the fare
Unaccompanied Minor: Not Permitted

Changes
USD 125 for No-Show/Reissue

·Includes changes to first sector (from point of origin)
·Includes rerouting (plus fare difference, based on recalculation of miles and/or number of stopovers)
USD 150 for Cancel/Refund
USD 0 for date/time/flight number changes (other than the first sector) (local service fee may apply)

Baggage allowance
Economy 1PC (max 23kgs each)
Business 2PC (max 23kgs each)
First 3PC (max 23kgs each)

I think this SkyTeam flight involving only AeroMexico and AirFrance would qualify for the cheapest RTW fare (20,114 miles}.
September 19th, 2017 at 3:03:18 PM permalink
Nareed
If you are trying to set a record that is true. It looks like Boeing used the Tropic of Cancer for their round the world record.

It's a matter of technicalities, really. Few "round the world" trips actually travel as far as one equatorial circumference (Voyager surely didn't). Suppose you drove across the southernmost part of Florid and claimed to have traversed the width of the US. that would be technically true.

Oh, well..

I am more concerned with the ever longer trips on narrow bodies. I've said before they don't have much room to move about. So even in a decent airline with good legroom, like Jet Blue or Interjet, it must be exhausting to spend 5-7 hours on your seat. I recall taking a walk on DC-10s and 747s. the twin aisles, scattered lavatories and large exit doors provide for room to move and to hang around, away from the seats.