Simple question?

Thread Rating:

April 27th, 2016 at 8:09:39 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Dalex64
Yes. But, It is not evidence of all of creation, nor is it evidence of a supernatural cause. It is simply evidence that the current form of the universe was much smaller and can be thought of as having a beginning. It does not suggest that there was or was not 'no time' or 'no thing' before that time.

I'm glad for your honesty in recognizing that it is evidence and I agree with you that an expanding universe and the consensus of modern cosmology today in regards to the "Big Bang" is not proof for a supernatural cause. However, I continue to maintain that it is reasonable and logical to move from the evidence of science that there is such a supernatural cause because as we know it is illogical to think of an actual infinite regress. In recognizing that the entire universe, encompassing all matter, energy and time, was at one point infintetestiminely small it leads one to see an absolute beginning. Such a beginning and a supernatural cause will not be ever discovered by science. This is obvious because science can only observe what is observable. Before all things we must turn to philosophy and metaphysics to find the answers.

Quote:
The existence of thousands of miracles and other unexplainable phenomenon (like your theory of reincarnation) is evidence of the supernatural, its it not? The fact that so many people have had and continue to have positive experiences of God in their lives is evidence that God is real, is it not? [edit: N.B. I am not saying these things are mathematical proofs only evidence that one could use to reasonably and logically come to conclusions]

No. The lack of an explaination is not license to claim any explaination you like is true. By definition, it is unexplained and therefore you can not provide an explaination, otherwise it would be explained and no longer unexplained. Explainations require proof.

No, explanations require evidence that points us in a certain direction and reasonable thought. I am not comfortable with just chalking up the unexplainable to be unexplainable. I feel that we are wiser than that and when we reach the point where observable science fails us we can still move forward from what it does provide us to make explanations that are based on evidence and reasonable.

Quote:
Part 2 - also no - attribution of positive experiences to god is not proof that god provided or allowed the positive experience.
People who worship other gods have similar experiences - isn't that proof that their gods are real?

I think it is proof that there is a God and that in His mercy He moves through many different ways to reach us.

Quote:
The lack of falsifiability for your god is the same as the lack of falsifiability for all of the other gods that you think aren't real.
Are you 100% sure that you aren't worshiping the wrong god?

You like to jump ahead to this important question of the true conception of God before we clarify the truth that there is a God. That there is a God is objectively true. From there we can engage in a discussion concerning the nature of this God as revealed through human history and which religion is true.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
April 27th, 2016 at 8:30:01 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote:
Before all things we must turn to philosophy and metaphysics to find the answers.

They are never the answer to any question,
let alone the first thing we should turn to.

metaphysics: abstract theory or talk with no basis in reality.

The Church would love to throw reality out
the window again, and go back to theory instead
of science. Those days are long gone. Even
Francis Bacon said that with modern science,
there is no room for the flawed reasoning of
the metaphysical sort. He was certainly 100%
correct, we've made and continue to make
huge strides since we embraced the scientific
method instead of depending on misguided
logic and flawed reasoning.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 28th, 2016 at 5:55:41 AM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
"People who worship other gods have similar experiences - isn't that proof that their gods are real?" Are you sure? What evidence do you have of this statement? What "experiences" are you actually talking about?
April 28th, 2016 at 8:50:55 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: pew
"People who worship other gods have similar experiences - isn't that proof that their gods are real?" Are you sure? What evidence do you have of this statement? What "experiences" are you actually talking about?

Are you saying that other cultures don't claim to have religious experiences and attribute them to their gods?
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
April 28th, 2016 at 11:53:31 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: pew
"People who worship other gods have similar experiences - isn't that proof that their gods are real?" Are you sure?

Since the beginning of time people have
claimed their gods talk to them. Where
do you think they get the ideas for rituals
and sacrifices from. They think some god
is telling them what to do. Humans are very
gullible and easily prone to suggestion.
They think some god is ordering them
around and it's really just them talking to
themselves.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 29th, 2016 at 5:36:36 AM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
Quote: Dalex64
Are you saying that other cultures don't claim to have religious experiences and attribute them to their gods?
Of course other cultures have religious experiences. I'm asking what "similar" experiences specifically you're talking about.
May 1st, 2016 at 7:06:27 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Hate to see any historic buildings destroyed. Apparently this NYC cathedral is burning to the ground. Do they not have modern sprinkler systems in these?

You see photo here

http://myocn.net/photographer-features-st-sava-serbian-orthodox-cathedral/
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 1st, 2016 at 7:10:01 PM permalink
rxwine
And here is why I say burned to the ground even though it's not official. (pic)

http://nypost.com/2016/05/01/massive-fire-breaks-out-at-manhattan-church/
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 4th, 2016 at 12:04:02 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: rxwine
And here is why I say burned to the ground even though it's not official. (pic)

http://nypost.com/2016/05/01/massive-fire-breaks-out-at-manhattan-church/
Did you see there were 4 Orthodox churches burned?

http://nypost.com/2016/05/02/coordinated-attack-feared-after-massive-cathedral-blaze/
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
May 4th, 2016 at 9:52:57 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: petroglyph

No, didn't see that, just happened to catch this one in the news.