Simple question?

Thread Rating:

April 26th, 2016 at 10:52:53 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: rxwine
Yes, there is a point where one could move to a god belief. Let's just say when you don't have a god fossil, or repeatable experiments, or something --- you're a ways from even scant evidence.

We do have archeological records of Jesus Christ, we of course don't have a grave because He has been Resurrected. If you did have a grave then maybe you would actually have some evidence against Christianity, alas you still have none. We also have countless of repeated experiments of people accepting Jesus Christ into their lives, forming a relationship with Him and a believing community, and their lives have been changed for the better. I guarantee if you try the experiment yourself you will find similar results.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
April 26th, 2016 at 11:03:28 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Evenbob
I'm looking for any evidence at all. What
you call evidence is no such thing.

The expanding universe is evidence that it had a beginning is it not? The existence of thousands of miracles and other unexplainable phenomenon (like your theory of reincarnation) is evidence of the supernatural, its it not? The fact that so many people have had and continue to have positive experiences of God in their lives is evidence that God is real, is it not? [edit: N.B. I am not saying these things are mathematical proofs only evidence that one could use to reasonably and logically come to conclusions]

Can I again ask you please for any evidence at all for your statement that you are 100% sure that there does not exist the divine or some higher power?
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
April 26th, 2016 at 11:37:27 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
The expanding universe is evidence that it had a beginning is it not? The existence of thousands of miracles

Are you a real person? You just keep repeating the
same talking points over and over and over. Now
we have to have the expanding universe discussion
again? And the miracles discussion? And the people
talking to god discussion? Really?

We've been over these subjects ad nauseum in the
last 18 months. I'm convinced whatever we say
goes in your left ear and out your right ear and
makes no stop at all in between. It's like having
an argument with a computer. You have
an agenda, have been brainwashed in a certain
way to present it, and to you anything else is
beside the point.

I got a PM from a member about a year ago, a
recovering Catholic. He said talking to a priest
is like talking to a robot, they know what they
know and that's all they want to know. I'm
gradually realizing what he meant.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 26th, 2016 at 11:55:46 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I guarantee if you try the experiment yourself you will find similar results.

The only thing I miss about Christian life is the community/ fellowship. But that's a reason to join a club, not to believe without evidence.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 27th, 2016 at 12:50:27 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
If a lot of people are believing a
myth is true, then more and more will believe
it because how could all the others be wrong.
It works the same way with fishing from a boat.

Fishermen drive around in their boats until they see a cluster of boats, and then they go fish beside them. Scares the hell out of the fish.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
April 27th, 2016 at 12:57:15 AM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: rxwine
The only thing I miss about Christian life is the community/ fellowship. But that's a reason to join a club, not to believe without evidence.

I'm convinced it's the major reason people
go to church. The social aspect of it. I see
them constantly switching churches, they
like this one and then that one. Jesus and
god have little or nothing to do with it.
How could they, myths hold very little power
over people these days.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 27th, 2016 at 1:15:03 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
. The social aspect of it. I see
them constantly switching churches, they
like this one and then that one.
That's weird, innit? I would think if they found the Jesus, they would stay put?

Yeah, it's a social deal for them. It is a support group, like the Masons. I have seen it work as an economic feed back loop for some as well. Only doing business with their church members, unless they can take money from someone else. Not to unlike Amway.

Works for the Mormon's also.

A tv show ran short here a little while ago and there was a tv ministry on, I usually lunge for the remote when that happens. But because of these threads I watched a few minutes. It was comedy.

The "ministry" was PeterPopov. org. Starts off he has died, jet black hair. Shows he is insecure and vain, then I turned on the sound. It got funnier. He was going out into the audience curing disabled people and throwing away their canes. The healed would dance and shout with new found joy. He also has something called a red letter on how to receive a debt jubilee, as it is a get out of debt year free from god. Cool.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
April 27th, 2016 at 5:20:42 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
The expanding universe is evidence that it had a beginning is it not?

Yes. But, It is not evidence of all of creation, nor is it evidence of a supernatural cause. It is simply evidence that the current form of the universe was much smaller and can be thought of as having a beginning. It does not suggest that there was or was not 'no time' or 'no thing' before that time.

Quote:
The existence of thousands of miracles and other unexplainable phenomenon (like your theory of reincarnation) is evidence of the supernatural, its it not? The fact that so many people have had and continue to have positive experiences of God in their lives is evidence that God is real, is it not? [edit: N.B. I am not saying these things are mathematical proofs only evidence that one could use to reasonably and logically come to conclusions]

No. The lack of an explaination is not license to claim any explaination you like is true. By definition, it is unexplained and therefore you can not provide an explaination, otherwise it would be explained and no longer unexplained. Explainations require proof.
Part 2 - also no - attribution of positive experiences to god is not proof that god provided or allowed the positive experience.
People who worship other gods have similar experiences - isn't that proof that their gods are real?

I think a lot of people are calling something evidence when instead they should be using the word hypothesis and should then prove the hypothesis.

Quote:
Can I again ask you please for any evidence at all for your statement that you are 100% sure that there does not exist the divine or some higher power?

The lack of falsifiability for your god is the same as the lack of falsifiability for all of the other gods that you think aren't real.
Are you 100% sure that you aren't worshiping the wrong god?
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
April 27th, 2016 at 6:46:46 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
We do have archeological records of Jesus Christ, we of course don't have a grave because He has been Resurrected.

Do you know how many people we have records and archaeological evidence for whose graves have not been found? Were all of them resurrected?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
April 27th, 2016 at 11:06:03 AM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: petroglyph
It got funnier. He was going out into the audience curing disabled people and throwing away their canes.

What Christians like my wife and FrG
don't understand is, atheists have to
put all Christian activity under one
umbrella, it's all the same to us. That
guy dancing around 'curing' people is
no different than FrG mumbling over
some bread and wine and turning it
into blood and wine. It's the same silly
hocus pocus nonsense to an atheist.

Talking in tongues, working with snakes,
sprinkling holy water around, smacking
people on the forehead to cure them,
crossing yourself, making people sit is
a booth so they can tell you their secrets.
It's all Christianity to an atheist, and has
to be included under that banner.

Not only do you have to take a giant leap
and believe Jesus dies for 'sins', you then
have to pick what whackjob church you
want to join. It's crazy.