Simple question?

Thread Rating:

October 18th, 2016 at 5:15:26 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Nareed

Let's say you see are in some kind of mortal danger. Maybe you have cancer, or maybe someone is holding you at gunpoint, or maybe you're trapped in a collapsed building after some disaster. Now, let's say someone helps you out, a doctor, a cop or a rescue team, depending on the case. Can you say with 100% certainty it was Jehovah, Jesus and their invisible friend who saved you?

Here's one. Everyday, millions of people are making plans to go see or meet someone.

Almost every day there is probably someone among millions who shows up to find they've arrived in the nick of time finding their friend or relative in some sort of immediate trouble (stroke, heart attack, trapped in a well, whatever).

It's a matter of odds this is happening. It likely happened yesterday, today, and tomorrow.

No one should call such events unusual because of the sheer numbers of people meeting everyday, but I'm betting many do and call it intervention by their god of choice.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 18th, 2016 at 5:18:50 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Btw, those are the stories that always end up in the local paper because they make a good story. Of course some god usually gets some undeserved credit when it does.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 18th, 2016 at 8:19:12 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
A god is impossible therefore all of the energy in the universe has been here forever.

Or, a god is impossible therefore a god did not create the universe.

Q.E.D.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
October 18th, 2016 at 9:01:57 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Nareed

Physics clearly indicates all the energy in the universe existed at the moment of the Big Bang. While we don't know what happened prior to a very small fraction of a second after the Big Bang, everything else checks out through observation. The logical conclusion, as I've said a number of times before, is that energy predates the universe. And if time did not exist prior to the Big Bang, which is one strong possibility, then energy has always existed.

So your so called logical solution is to posit what we know is impossible? Energy does not create itself, it is not the source of its own existence. Why would you possibly think that if you move energy or any material thing that is contingent on something else for its existence prior to the Big Bang you have not eliminated time and made it eternal? That doesn't make any sense. Your logical solution is completely illogical.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
October 18th, 2016 at 9:04:54 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Dalex64
A god is impossible therefore all of the energy in the universe has been here forever.

Or, a god is impossible therefore a god did not create the universe.

Q.E.D.

Not quite sure what Q.E.D. stands for and not sure why you would want to beg the question twice by beginning with a statement that everyone knows is false. The reality is that it is impossible for there not to be a God.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
October 18th, 2016 at 9:12:45 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: FrGamble
Not quite sure what Q.E.D. stands for and not sure why you would want to beg the question twice by beginning with a statement that everyone knows is false. The reality is that it is impossible for there not to be a God.

And you blame me for begging the question?

You said the scriptures predict the big bang theory. That is completely false

One thing that it does predict is geocentrism.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
October 18th, 2016 at 9:49:49 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
Not quite sure what Q.E.D. stands for

It means you're restating a conclusion
in a different way. It's Latin.

Quote:
The reality is that it is impossible for there not to be a God.

You mean that's your reality. There is
no one reality, you know. We all create
our own. Many parts of our realities
agree, so we mostly can get along.
It's the parts that we don't have in
common that give us the problems.

Imagine this. We all need to eat, so
we shop at grocery stores. We seldom
speak strangers at the store
because we have no idea what the
reality is of the people there. We know
from personal experience it's not worth
finding out because we probably won't
agree on much.

You assume your reality should be the
reality of everybody. You really need
to get over that.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 18th, 2016 at 9:57:59 PM permalink
FrGamble

You said the scriptures predict the big bang theory. That is completely false

I wouldn't say false, but definitely an exaggeration.

Quote:

Really where does it say this?

Also do you have any reason, logic, or evidence that would lead any sane person to say that God is impossible?
October 18th, 2016 at 10:02:12 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob

You mean that's your reality. There is
no one reality, you know.

What are you smoking? Real is real and true is true. Don't confuse reality or truth with your own personal preferences or tastes. Are you really trying to say that if I think the sky is blue and you say it is purple with pink poke-a-dots; that we are both equally right as your reality is just as real as mine? What if I was to say 2+2=6, can I make this my reality?

I don't assume my reality should be the reality of everybody, but everybody shares the same reality that is governed by the same truths.
October 18th, 2016 at 10:05:26 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

There are orthodox Jews who still believe it.
It took the Vatican 200 years after Galileo
to finally admit he might have been right.
And in 1900 the pope said, look, those
old guys who wrote the OT weren't
scientists, or pretending to be. They
wrote everything from a religious point
of view.

Wow, really? Duh..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.