Simple question?

Thread Rating:

October 24th, 2016 at 4:53:20 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: FrGamble
It helps to first separate reality from fiction. The Pope never called on crusaders to plunder, pillage, and rape anyone.

The pope, I expect, was a learned man of his time. He knew war meant, plunder, pillage, rape and murder. War has meant that ever since the first hominid realized he could get farther with a grunt and a rock than with just a grunt. You know, sacking a city was rare. Robbing the baggage trains, the captured soldiers, the villages and farms adjoining cities, and the villages along the way, were not rare at all. How do you think armies kept supplied with food and fodder. The baggage trains, FYI, usually carried the paymaster's gold or silver.

Quote:
Secondly, there is a difference between the Pope saying something in what is called the Ordinary Magisterium or ordinary day to day teaching and preaching and what is called declaring something "ex cathedra" meaning that it is an infallible statement.

You're implying, it seems, that a pope could promise admission to heaven to everyone, but without guaranteeing it? Man, how stupid were the Christians of that time anyway? Granted scams have been and always will be with us, but risking your life on an empty promise takes it all.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 24th, 2016 at 4:56:30 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Dude, I'm a walking Catechism but I will try to get some references when I get a chance a little later tonight. Anyway, Christians do sin that is fur sure! However, because God's love for you is unconditional there really isn't an amount of sin you can do that would cause you to not be a Christian anymore. What would cause you to cease being a Christian is a denial of Christ, but even then Christ will never deny you.

So, actions by Christians, in the name of God, by people who believe they are following the will of God, or instructing others to do so and telling them it is gods will...

You see where I am going with that?

Religious violence is still violence inspired by religion, whether or not they are following the 'true' teaching of the religion.

Do you really think all of those 'bad' Popes didn't believe that they were doing God's will?

Whether or not they were doing God's will, the things they were doing were inspired by and in the name of their religion, no matter how faulty you think now that the inspiration was.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
October 24th, 2016 at 5:15:17 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
This is simply not true.

I'm devastated, she said with a straight face.

Quote:
I have never heard any logical argument for the non-existence of God.

Yes, you have. What you want is an argument that sued god to prove there is no god. Or a Christian argument conforming to proper Christian theology (whatever that is) which proves there is no god.

Quote:
Give me a simple argument as to why God does not exist or give me some evidence, please.

You can re-read every word I've posted here and at Wov (the recipes are remarkably good!)

Quote:
This sickens me, not only your example but your argument.

I don't see that it should.

The Roman empire in the pagan era kept millions of slaves, some privately owned, some owned by the state. The Roman empire in the Christian era, kept as many slaves. The Christian kingdoms that followed in the West kept as many slaves. When Christians colonized the Americas, they brought along millions of slaves with them (and had to replace millions wit millions more, because in some places they had very short lifespans).

We know when slavery was abolished in the US and in the Americas. Do you know when it was abolished in Europe?

I'll tell you: in some cases into the XIX Century, if we include serfdom.

While there is no commandment against slavery (WHY THE HELL NOT?), clearly this is an evil institution that no moral person can tolerate. Christianity did nothing to impede it. Moreover, in the debates raging around the moral question of slavery, the Bible was used to argue for it (and, to be fair, against it; which just damns the whole book of myths as a moral guide).

So I stand by my argument.

Quote:
Let me say again that God would never command us to do anything against reason or our nature.

Then the chastity lunacy your church clings to is entirely of its own making?

Quote:
Look He gave us a brain and created us a certain way, why would He go against what He has created?

Why would Batman turn against Superman? Oh, wait: they don't exist.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 24th, 2016 at 7:55:16 PM permalink
Dalex64
Quote: Dalex64
So, actions by Christians, in the name of God, by people who believe they are following the will of God, or instructing others to do so and telling them it is gods will...

You see where I am going with that?

Religious violence is still violence inspired by religion, whether or not they are following the 'true' teaching of the religion.

Do you really think all of those 'bad' Popes didn't believe that they were doing God's will?

Whether or not they were doing God's will, the things they were doing were inspired by and in the name of their religion, no matter how faulty you think now that the inspiration was.

The logical fallacy associated with this:
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
October 24th, 2016 at 9:01:55 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I have never heard any logical argument for the non-existence of God.

I can't even prove, an exact clone of me doesn't exist somewhere in the Universe much less a god. So anyway, we ask you to prove what you claim, and in return you ask us to do the impossible.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 25th, 2016 at 5:40:54 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Dalex64

What breaks the chain of thought to where you are going is that the teaching of Christ is very clear. You can't claim to hate and kill sinners based upon the teachings of a man who went out of His way to eat with them and focus on their goodness. You can't blame the Jews for the death of someone who Himself was a Jew and all of whose first disciples were Jews as well.

Quote:

I'm not sure I follow you. If I buy a cat can I say I was inspired by those who told me to buy a dog?

Quote:

The ones in hell knew that they were not doing God's will.

Quote:

Again I think you are blaming something that is only tenuously connected. If I said that I was inspired to run red lights because I really like coffee you wouldn't blame my love of coffee for my actions that have nothing to do with each other.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
October 25th, 2016 at 5:48:47 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Nareed

Yes, you have.

Nope, I have not. I have never heard an argument for the non-existence of God that had true premises and an conclusion that there was no God logically follow from them. I would really like to hear one if it exists.

Quote:
You can re-read every word I've posted here and at Wov (the recipes are remarkably good!)

The recipes are undoubtably the best, but your philosophy really stinks.

Quote:

While there is no commandment against slavery (WHY THE HELL NOT?), clearly this is an evil institution that no moral person can tolerate. Christianity did nothing to impede it. Moreover, in the debates raging around the moral question of slavery, the Bible was used to argue for it (and, to be fair, against it; which just damns the whole book of myths as a moral guide).

Christianity led to the downfall of slavery around the world, even though sadly it still exists. As you pointed out it was the Biblical texts that brought it down. You cannot read the Bible from the Passover to Philemon and get any sense at all that the Bible supports slavery unless you are reading it with a biased agenda, which many did, including some Churchmen.

Quote:
Then the chastity lunacy your church clings to is entirely of its own making?

It is completely reasonable and in accord with our nature to have children with one woman and to raise those children together.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
October 25th, 2016 at 5:50:30 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: rxwine

I can't even prove, an exact clone of me doesn't exist somewhere in the Universe much less a god. So anyway, we ask you to prove what you claim, and in return you ask us to do the impossible.

If it is impossible for you to at least provide evidence for or a logical argument to support what you state than I would look again at what you belief and think long and hard if it really was true.
October 25th, 2016 at 6:57:09 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
If it is impossible for you to at least provide evidence for or a logical argument to support what you state than I would look again at what you belief and think long and hard if it really was true.

And if you had any real evidence the Pope would be coming to kiss your ring, and you'd be known 'round the world.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 25th, 2016 at 7:17:16 PM permalink
Dalex64
You know you can't prove that God exists, and the absence of proof that he does not exist also does not prove that he exists.