NASA says it will build quiet supersonic passenger jet

Page 10 of 12« First<789101112>
May 17th, 2016 at 6:58:36 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Aussie
Also remember that the ratio of passengers to flight attendants is much lower in business and first class than in economy.

The reason for that is that 1st and business passengers expect to be waited on hand and foot, while there is not much in the way of service in economy.

Quote:
Probably 20:1 in economy but 3:1 or less in first class. So staff costs are much higher. Also you get additional baggage etc which would also mean a higher fuel burn. The costs of access to lounges etc. I agree that they are creaming it when selling these sorts of fares but it's not JUST about floor space and food.

I'm wondering about intra-Europe business class on narrow body planes, too. Typically you get a regular economy seat, perhaps without even added leg room, but the middle seat is "blocked" (ie kept empty), and you get a meal. You also get lounge access. The reviews I've read don't say, but I assume you get a free luggage allowance, priority boarding, and priority security.

Any idea what that costs compared to economy? Also, what's the point for short flights?

Lastly I've begun wondering how many business and 1st class fares are paid at "retail," and how many are paid with miles or points, or are awarded as upgrades to frequent fliers.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
May 17th, 2016 at 2:47:56 PM permalink
Nareed
I would really like a book, preferably an audio book, detailing the history of the passenger experience in air travel since the earliest days of commercial aviation to the present (or near present).

Any ideas?
May 17th, 2016 at 3:33:08 PM permalink
Aussie
Threads: 2
Quote: Nareed
The reason for that is that 1st and business passengers expect to be waited on hand and foot, while there is not much in the way of service in economy.

I'm wondering about intra-Europe business class on narrow body planes, too. Typically you get a regular economy seat, perhaps without even added leg room, but the middle seat is "blocked" (ie kept empty), and you get a meal. You also get lounge access. The reviews I've read don't say, but I assume you get a free luggage allowance, priority boarding, and priority security.

Any idea what that costs compared to economy? Also, what's the point for short flights?

Lastly I've begun wondering how many business and 1st class fares are paid at "retail," and how many are paid with miles or points, or are awarded as upgrades to frequent fliers.

I don't have any experience travelling intra-Europe business class but simply having the middle seat blocked doesn't appeal to me. I'd prefer to save the money and go economy. Business will generally get you baggage allowance (or a higher allowance of you already get it anyway) and priority boarding. Lounge access would depend on the airline but yes generally. I recently booked SFO-YYZ in first class and was disappointed to learn AA doesn't give lounge access based on class of travel. What's up with that?? :S

It's a common misconception that most/all business and first class seats are filled with points redemptions. That's not the case. It will depend on the airline and route but not many at all will be sold using points. An EK A380 might offer 2 out of 14 first class seats and perhaps 5 or 6 out of 70-odd business class seats for purchase with points when a flight initially becomes available for booking around 11 months out. Maybe a couple more a few weeks from departure.

If you think about it, why would an airline offer first or business class if they couldn't sell a high proportion of seats for cash? They might as well go with an all economy configuration. There are definitely plenty of option to travel using points for someone who plans ahead and is willing to be flexible regarding dates and routing but it's not a case of being able to pick any flight you want at any time and getting a points redemption.
May 17th, 2016 at 3:56:04 PM permalink
Nareed
I recently booked SFO-YYZ in first class and was disappointed to learn AA doesn't give lounge access based on class of travel. What's up with that?? :S

Isn't that more than a huge bit ridiculous?

BTW, another peeve of mine is people who pay, presumably, for business or first class on short flights. My last flight on Aeromexico was to Cd. Del Carmen, and the 737 had occupied business class seats (in AM known as Clase Premier). They're 2-2, very wide, they recline more, and have footrests. On older planes they're also distinguished for having individual screens and power ports. On newer planes that's standard for all. My beef is the flight is only 1:15 long. hardly worth the price difference.

Although perhaps they also serve breakfast <shrug>

Quote:
It's a common misconception that most/all business and first class seats are filled with points redemptions. That's not the case. It will depend on the airline and route but not many at all will be sold using points. An EK A380 might offer 2 out of 14 first class seats and perhaps 5 or 6 out of 70-odd business class seats for purchase with points when a flight initially becomes available for booking around 11 months out. Maybe a couple more a few weeks from departure.

Yeah, I realized that almost as soon as I posted it. I thought, "Wait, don't many reviews complain about there not being "award space" for a very long time on business/first?"

Quote:
If you think about it, why would an airline offer first or business class if they couldn't sell a high proportion of seats for cash? They might as well go with an all economy configuration.

That was the other thing I thought...
May 17th, 2016 at 4:12:46 PM permalink
Aussie
Isn't that more than a huge bit ridiculous?

BTW, another peeve of mine is people who pay, presumably, for business or first class on short flights. My last flight on Aeromexico was to Cd. Del Carmen, and the 737 had occupied business class seats (in AM known as Clase Premier). They're 2-2, very wide, they recline more, and have footrests. On older planes they're also distinguished for having individual screens and power ports. On newer planes that's standard for all. My beef is the flight is only 1:15 long. hardly worth the price difference.

Although perhaps they also serve breakfast <shrug>

Yeah, I realized that almost as soon as I posted it. I thought, "Wait, don't many reviews complain about there not being "award space" for a very long time on business/first?"

That was the other thing I thought...

Which part is ridiculous? The lack of lounge access or travelling that route in 1st class at all? LOL
I actually travel almost exclusively using points redemptions myself so that's why you'll see me in business or first rather than having some stupid amount of cash to throw away. I would have actually preferred to travel that route in economy as the first class cabin only offers recliner seats in the 738 anyway. I didn't have a choice though as there were no economy redemptions available.

I agree about the waste of money paying for that sort of thing on such a short flight. I will typically fly economy domestically in Australia as the flights are so short. The only exception will be if I want to use points and can only get business class or if it is part of an international itinerary.
May 17th, 2016 at 4:25:53 PM permalink
Nareed
Also remember that the ratio of passengers to flight attendants is much lower in business and first class than in economy. Probably 20:1 in economy but 3:1 or less in first class.

I should pay more attention next time I fly Aeromexico.

On Interjet's A320s there are 150 seats and 4 flight attendants. That's a 37.5:1 ratio.

For service they have two carts. One starts out at the front, the other at the rear, and they work their way towards the middle, one attendant on each end of the cart, each servicing one row at a time. Service consists of complimentary drinks and snacks. Drinks do include beer and spirits. Next flight I'll time them. Interjet is all-economy, BTW. AM has a business class section up front, even on regional jets.
May 17th, 2016 at 4:31:45 PM permalink
Nareed
Which part is ridiculous? The lack of lounge access or travelling that route in 1st class at all? LOL

The lack of lounge access.

I'm not fluent in airport codes, though I use them, but I think you said san Francisco to Toronto. That's a rather longish flight.

Quote:
I would have actually preferred to travel that route in economy as the first class cabin only offers recliner seats in the 738 anyway. I didn't have a choice though as there were no economy redemptions available.

Don't you get a meal as well?

Quote:
I agree about the waste of money paying for that sort of thing on such a short flight.

Some people do it out of snobbery. Consider Mexico. Over 90% of all popular routes are under 2 hours, yet AM and Mexicana before it, offer a type of domestic business class.

Or maybe for the lounge access? I know all AM passengers travelling on Clase Premier can access the Salon premier lounge (BTW, Lucky should have reviews of AM flights and the lounge up soon). Aeromexico's upper class in the 787 does have lie-flat seats and gourmet meals.
May 17th, 2016 at 6:07:34 PM permalink
Aussie
Yes San Franciscto to Toronto (via Chicago - ORD).

There will be catering but doubt it will be anythjng special. It's an overnight flight so the main consideration will be trying to get some sleep. Not sure how this will go in a recliner.
May 17th, 2016 at 9:40:34 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
On Interjet's A320s there are 150 seats and 4 flight attendants. That's a 37.5:1 ratio.

Interjet has a very high vacancy rate. Volaris claims these are the average number of passengers per flight.
137 Volaris
122 VivaAerobus
104 Interjet

So if the seats:attendants are 37.5:1, the passengers:attendants is usually a lot lower.

On domestic it is nice to sit in first class since you get better food. Of course, I only got there on upgrades. I sat next to this 17 year old kid once, and he refused the food. I said no 17 year old kid refuses food, so I figured he was famous. He was the child actor from the movie Witness (just 10 years older). He's 40 years old now.

May 17th, 2016 at 10:32:36 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Which part is ridiculous? The lack of lounge access or travelling that route in 1st class at all? LOL.

Virgin Galactic is predicting that sub-orbital flights linking two distant places in two hours will be on sale in four years (approx $250K per person). Even the most sybaritic subsonic flight won't cost anywhere near $250K.

But, I wonder if these private suites will vanish even if the price of sub-orbital comes down to something resembling first class prices.

Singapore Airlines has ordered 7 of the A350-900 (ultra long range version) which will allow them to restart the cancelled nonstop service to New York City and Los Angeles. I don't know what they will do with the extra two planes. Perhaps Chicago, Houston or Toronto? Or just twice as many flights to NYC (EWR & JFK).

SIN SFO 043° (NE) 042° (NE) 8,446 mi UNITED FLIGHT #1 June 1, 2016
SIN LAX 044° (NE) 044° (NE) 8,770 mi
SIN YYG 348° (N) 348° (N) 9,058 mi
SIN ORD 013° (N) 012° (N) 9,357 mi
SIN EWR 358° (N) 358° (N) 9,534 mi
SIN IAH 029° (NE) 028° (NE) 9,930 mi

Right now Singapore Airlines is making intermediate stops, Hong Kong on way to San Francisco, Tokyo on way to LAX, and Frankfurt on way to JFK

Hong Kong and Tokyo are not much of a deviation, but Frankfurt involves flying considerably out of the way.
Page 10 of 12« First<789101112>