Thread Rating:

September 10th, 2018 at 3:06:07 PM permalink
Aussie
Threads: 2
Quote: Evenbob
I guarantee most know who Williams
is and few know who Osaka is. Never
heard of her before this weekend.

Of course you hadn’t heard of her before this weekend. If it wasn’t for Williams making a total fool of herself you wouldn’t have even been aware there was a tennis tournament on.

Osaka had already well and truly announced herself as a top player. Shed already won the biggest tournament outside the grand slams less than 6 months ago. Unknown? No. Anyone who follows the sport was already well aware of her.
September 10th, 2018 at 3:22:29 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Aussie
Anyone who follows the sport was already well aware of her.

Anyone who follows anything knows
about the thing they follow, so what.
My daughter raises Monarch butterflies,
she knows everything about them.
I know nothing, does that make me
uninformed generally? Hardly.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 10th, 2018 at 3:22:48 PM permalink
JimRockford
Of course you hadn’t heard of her before this weekend. If it wasn’t for Williams making a total fool of herself you wouldn’t have even been aware there was a tennis tournament on.

Osaka had already well and truly announced herself as a top player. Shed already won the biggest tournament outside the grand slams less than 6 months ago. Unknown? No. Anyone who follows the sport was already well aware of her.

Osaka was ranked no.7 in the world coming into the US Open. I doubt the match would rank among Serena's five worst upsets. Her tirade was embarrassing to be sure, but her rage was directed at the chair umpire. She has not, to my knowledge blamed her loss on the penalties.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
September 10th, 2018 at 4:26:58 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
The biggest male on-court meltdowns

https://people.com/sports/male-on-court-meltdowns-tennis-history/amp/

Don't forget to blame a Clinton.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
September 10th, 2018 at 6:22:18 PM permalink
Aussie
Anyone who follows anything knows
about the thing they follow, so what.
My daughter raises Monarch butterflies,
she knows everything about them.
I know nothing, does that make me
uninformed generally? Hardly.

You said she was unknown which is nonsense. So yes, you are generally uninformed on this topic.

She was ranked in the top 20 prior to the tournament (now #7). That on its own is proof enough she was not unknown. You see that little “20” next to her name on the score sheet? That means she was one of the seeds. “Unknowns” don’t get to be seeds in grand slams.
She won Indian Wells and easily beat Serena a few days later in Miami - again, proof she is not unknown.

Claiming Osaka was “unknown” is nearly as laughable as Serena’s on-court meltdown.
September 10th, 2018 at 6:33:21 PM permalink
Aussie
Quote: JimRockford
Osaka was ranked no.7 in the world coming into the US Open. I doubt the match would rank among Serena's five worst upsets. Her tirade was embarrassing to be sure, but her rage was directed at the chair umpire. She has not, to my knowledge blamed her loss on the penalties.

For sure. She was down a set and a break prior to being penalised a game so hard to argue it cost her the match. All she lost was one opportunity to break back. Maybe she could have taken it, who knows. Unlikely though given how the match and gone up to that point.
September 10th, 2018 at 7:41:39 PM permalink
Evenbob
She was ranked in the top 20 prior to the tournament .

WHO CARES!! I've never seen more than 2 min
of a tennis game in my life. BORING. Hitting
a ball back and forth, how exciting. Most people
don't follow tennis, why would they. And most
have never heard of what's her name. She's
an unknown to most people.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 11th, 2018 at 10:37:04 AM permalink
JimRockford
For sure. She was down a set and a break prior to being penalised a game so hard to argue it cost her the match. All she lost was one opportunity to break back. Maybe she could have taken it, who knows. Unlikely though given how the match and gone up to that point.

If Serena couldn't lose a match without falling to pieces she would have left tennis a long time ago. I have much respect for pro tennis players (even the entitled primadonnas). There are no multi year guaranteed contracts and they cover their own travel and training expenses. Each player is a business owner with payroll obligations. If they stop winning the revenue stops. Endorsements are probably multi year but they will dry up quickly if the player doesn't perform.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
September 17th, 2018 at 3:09:56 AM permalink
hooboy
Threads: 0
Diamond and Silk say a black person
can spot a racist pretending not to be
one every time. They say they got
none of that in the times they've met
Trump, he's totally genuine in his liking
of them. Like AZ says, Trump was never
a racist till he came down that elevator
3 years ago.

The left screams "racism" about everything. My favorite are lefties who say that it's "racist" if you aren't attracted to black women or indian women or whatever type of women. That's so stupid. SO if a guy refuses to date men does that make him a homophobe?? According to the illogical left, it does lol!
September 17th, 2018 at 11:12:12 AM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: hooboy
SO if a guy refuses to date men does that make him a homophobe?? According to the illogical left, it does lol!

Like Sam Kineson used to say, the crack
of some guys hairy ass has never done
it for me..
Page 231 of 232« First<228229230231232>