Trump vs Hillary 2016

Thread Rating:

November 10th, 2016 at 8:47:36 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I'm more worried about what he might try to do to trade.

Say he'd impose a 35% tariff on all imports. Leave aside the fact that a measure like that was a major cause of the Great Depression, here's something that might happen:

Boeing relies on many contractors for many parts all over the world. If it now has to pay a 35% surcharge on all such parts, costs will skyrocket, and fewer airlines will buy Boeing jets.

Ah, but couldn't all those parts be made in the US? Sure. But it's not as if you can just plant an aileron factory today and have it producing parts tomorrow. It would take months. Meantime, parts still need to come from abroad with a 35% surcharge.

Ok, but then it's all fine, right?

Absolutely. After investing many billions, companies spring up in the US and create hundreds of jobs for making parts, which will be more expensive (just not 35% more expensive), and that now Boeing will buy in smaller and smaller amounts.

Say what?

Well, consider this: 75% of Boeing's sales are to foreign airlines and lessors. Do you think after being hit with a 35% tariff, that other governments won't retaliate in kind? Now a large airline, say Singapore or emirates, looks at list prices and sees that an Airbus A350 costs considerably less than a B777. The growing airline sector in China sees the same thing, and is pressured by its government to buy what COMAC will be making.

Emboldened by this, Bombardier would have a mid-size single-aisle jet to take on the now exceedingly expensive B737MAX, too. Then, too, what about that Airbus assembly plant in Alabama? It might have to pay tariffs for parts, then charge tariffs for planes. The sensible thing for the consortium would be to shut it down.

Man, the price of popcorn would go through the roof!
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 10th, 2016 at 9:19:50 AM permalink
YeahBaby
Threads: 5
Quote: ams288
There will never be a Democratic candidate as weak as Hillary Clinton again

so 3 day ago she was goin to kick Trumper's ass in a landsliide now she's da weakest candidate of all time?

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!
November 10th, 2016 at 9:20:07 AM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Quote: Nareed
Say he'd impose a 35% tariff on all imports.

Don't believe a word he says. Trump's own products are made overseas.

Quote: Washington Post
We know of at least 12 countries where Trump products were manufactured (China, the Netherlands, Mexico, India, Turkey, Slovenia, Honduras, Germany, Bangladesh, Indonesia, Vietnam and South Korea).

You think he'd slap a tariff on his own Trump brand ties, suits, dress shirts, eyeglasses, cologne, chandeliers, mirrors, bedding, table lamps, cabinets, sofas, barstools, cocktail tables, shampoo, body wash, moisturizers, shower caps, laundry bags, show bags, pet collars, pet leashes and bath towels? Of course not. It's all outsourced to the lowest bidder.

He's all talk, no action. His cabinet will be compromised of conventional Republicans friendly with Wall Street.

There will be no trade wars under President Trump.
November 10th, 2016 at 9:30:45 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Nareed
Making us pay for it won't work, either, unless Trump is willing to send troops and loot the country, or hold people for ransom, or occupy Mexico until the government pays up. I'd like to see the Orange Man try that.

He did once say we should have seized Iraq's oil during the war, and I guess kept it for ourselves.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 10th, 2016 at 9:38:47 AM permalink
YeahBaby
Threads: 5
Quote: reno
He's all talk, no action

arent you da same guy who said Trumper would lose in the primary?/
why the hell should anybodyy listen to u???

you been wrong every single time about Trump!
lol............
November 10th, 2016 at 9:46:19 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: reno
You think he'd slap a tariff on his own Trump brand ties, suits, dress shirts, eyeglasses, cologne, chandeliers, mirrors, bedding, table lamps, cabinets, sofas, barstools, cocktail tables, shampoo, body wash, moisturizers, shower caps, laundry bags, show bags, pet collars, pet leashes and bath towels? Of course not. It's all outsourced to the lowest bidder.

He might. Do you know how much money a president can make in kickbacks and other government contracts? Or he might declare these things essential products needed for national security reasons and exempt from tariffs.

Quote:
There will be no trade wars under President Trump.

I think there will be. He's been rather sanguine on the issue. And unlike the Berlin Wall on the Rio Grande, this one can get bipartisan support.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 10th, 2016 at 11:08:18 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: YeahBaby
so 3 day ago she was goin to kick Trumper's ass in a landsliide now she's da weakest candidate of all time?

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

+1.
The President is a fink.
November 10th, 2016 at 11:29:54 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I thought Trump was going to crash the
markets and ruin the elections of all in
congress who were running. Were the
Trump naysayers right about one single
thing? Now they're all claiming he will
be the worst president in history. Based
on what? Certainly not their totally wrong
analysis so far.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 10th, 2016 at 12:43:03 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Evenbob
I thought Trump was going to crash the
markets and ruin the elections of all in
congress who were running. Were the
Trump naysayers right about one single
thing? Now they're all claiming he will
be the worst president in history.
Based
analysis so far.

Who said that?

I was/am a Trump naysayer and I've never said that.

It'd be hard to beat GWB....
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
November 10th, 2016 at 1:20:54 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Evenbob
Now they're all claiming he will
be the worst president in history. Based
analysis so far.

Here?
My view is to wait and see
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"