Poll
1 vote (16.66%)
4 votes (66.66%)
1 vote (16.66%)

6 members have voted

June 29th, 2016 at 10:37:43 AM permalink
Canyonero
Threads: 10
So, IKEA recalls 30 million Malm chests in US and Canada, but not in Europe.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/29/business/ikea-recall-tip-over-furniture.html?_r=0

Why? Because in Europe, parents are not in "stupid mode" by default. The instructions clearly state the furniture must be bolted to the wall, materials included. Who in their right minds, with small children in the house, would ignore that? It even comes with a cartoon man looking unhappy about getting crushed. (Granted, they could have made it look crushier and deadlier.)

Btw:
Reported deaths North America: 6
Reported deaths rest of the world: 0 (there were injuries though)

So what do you all think?

I wouldn't consider myself a particular fan of IKEAs, but a lot of stuff in the article just rubs me the wrong way.
June 29th, 2016 at 11:35:31 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
It's typical America, IMO. Something bad happens, it HAS to be someone's fault, and it's NOT mine.

I heard this on the la radio on the way to work. I can't remember the exact casualties, but it was around half a hundred if I'm remembering correctly. And they're gonna recall some 30 MILLION pieces because of it? They're even sending out crews, in lieu of a recall, to bolt your s#$% to the wall for your stupid ass.

Ridiculous.

/gotta stop now or ill go on a nasty rant
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
June 29th, 2016 at 12:03:02 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
It used to be in America we tried to weed stupid out of the gene pool, now not so much.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
June 29th, 2016 at 12:14:39 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I couldn't find any mention of awards for deaths, which I think means someone must recognize people not reading instructions is their fault.

Of course, lots of people don't read instructions anyway.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 29th, 2016 at 12:14:49 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Due to both the dumbing down in general and loss of skills as well. Half the IKEA customers probably have no idea how to bold something to a wall in the first place.
The President is a fink.
June 29th, 2016 at 12:16:31 PM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: AZDuffman
Due to both the dumbing down in general and loss of skills as well. Half the IKEA customers probably have no idea how to bold something to a wall in the first place.
Landlords are gonna hate this : ), especially when the wife gets on one of her rearrange the furniture kicks.
June 29th, 2016 at 12:18:39 PM permalink
rxwine
I still want to beat up the lawyers who sued against hot coffee. That's even more obvious. It's "hot" coffee, gol dang it. It might burn you.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 29th, 2016 at 12:24:26 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
The fact that they include a picture of an individual deliberately misusing their product indicates that this is a known problem.

The case could be made that the design is defective.
June 29th, 2016 at 12:26:57 PM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: Ayecarumba
The fact that they include a picture of an individual deliberately misusing their product indicates that this is a known problem.

They should show the parents how to properly use condoms
June 29th, 2016 at 12:29:21 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: Ayecarumba

Now I got a picture of a cartoon person trying to push a wheel sideways instead of rolling it, and showing him falling forward on his face.

I would say it's only kids who get in trouble with this, but then there's that whole thing of people getting crushed by cola machines. Those are far too heavy for small children to tip.
Page 1 of 3123>