1 vote (16.66%)
4 votes (66.66%)
1 vote (16.66%)

6 members have voted

June 30th, 2016 at 2:13:32 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Aussie
IKEA furniture is not hard to put together. Sure sometimes the instructions aren't as good as they could be but really, most people with a functioning brain should be able to assemble it fairly easily.

Not hard, but I have read a side hustle of people who charge to deliver and assemble it. The instructions I think stink because of translation issues.
The President is a fink.
June 30th, 2016 at 2:21:08 AM permalink
Aussie
Threads: 2
Quote: AZDuffman
Not hard, but I have read a side hustle of people who charge to deliver and assemble it. The instructions I think stink because of translation issues.

Delivery and assembly for additional cost is part of the business model here. I have paid for delivery when it hasn't been possibly to transport myself but assembly? No way will I pay.
June 30th, 2016 at 3:22:44 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Aussie
Delivery and assembly for additional cost is part of the business model here. I have paid for delivery when it hasn't been possibly to transport myself but assembly? No way will I pay.

Some people just don't want to do it, some can't. I have heard of people who just cannot figure it out. Some people I have seen in this life I can believe it.
The President is a fink.
June 30th, 2016 at 7:44:04 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23

??? Most of them are pictograms. The instructions I've always found quite clear. The ability of people to actually try something out in a logical way... now that often stinks.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
June 30th, 2016 at 8:00:54 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
The instructions are not hard to decipher.

But the little tools they include sometimes are a pain in the butt (or more accurately, a pain to the fingers). I'd rather just use a normal screwdriver...

I have never paid for someone to assemble IKEA stuff for me, but I have only bought a few things that needed assembled from there. If I were to buy something really large, I might think about paying for it. I'm lazy.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
June 30th, 2016 at 10:21:14 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Some of the larger things require more than one person to put them together. Also, folks getting up in years may need assistance. It is good to have the option (and they are probably required to bolt things to the wall properly, so there's that too...)
June 30th, 2016 at 3:48:59 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: TheCesspit
??? Most of them are pictograms. The instructions I've always found quite clear. The ability of people to actually try something out in a logical way... now that often stinks.

All pictures, no or few words. Always been harder for me, not that I can't figure IKEA out.
The President is a fink.
June 30th, 2016 at 9:03:19 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
All pictures, no or few words. Always been harder for me, not that I can't figure IKEA out.

That doesn't surprise me. Some people are great with symbols and pictograms, others HAVE to have words.

Just saying if it's pictures... it's not a translation problem!
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
July 1st, 2016 at 2:19:32 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: TheCesspit
That doesn't surprise me. Some people are great with symbols and pictograms, others HAVE to have words.

Just saying if it's pictures... it's not a translation problem!

Of course that is why they have the pictures. But it lowers things to the lowest common denominator. Makes you have to guess at many things. At least for me. I just bought a grill at WMT and instead of labeling the screws they have basic pictures of the several kinds. Makes it harder.
The President is a fink.
Page 3 of 3<123