GOP Convention

July 22nd, 2016 at 2:46:51 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: TheCesspit
Self made? I really don't think you aren't using those words how the rest of the world does...

Trump is self-made. He build a real estate empire and his personal brand is huge. How many other developers have a similar one-word brand or near his name recognition?

I realize the fans of "you didn't build that" do not understand the concept of self-made. And on the other side the candidate will be made by being someone's wife, yet somehow say that is qualification.
The President is a fink.
July 22nd, 2016 at 2:58:32 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: rxwine
Alpha-male air kiss.

It looks much, much worse if you see it in .gif form.

https://i.redd.it/q0hv3h7xhiax.gif
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
July 22nd, 2016 at 3:43:55 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: AZDuffman
Trump is self-made. He build a real estate empire and his personal brand is huge. How many other developers have a similar one-word brand or near his name recognition?

I realize the fans of "you didn't build that" do not understand the concept of self-made. And on the other side the candidate will be made by being someone's wife, yet somehow say that is qualification.
n

Trump doesn't fit the concept of self-made both proposed by Fredrick Douglas and Ben Franklin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-Made_Men

Mainly because making yourself rich with the trappings and advantages of class, society and education hasn't been understood to be self-made.

Now you're applying it to every person who starts with all those advantages and does well, and that's a lot of people.

If you want to accept a newer concept, I don't care, but I challenge you find a source to support it older than Franklin and Douglas.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 22nd, 2016 at 7:14:55 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Some people didn't like it.

While I disagree with him often, Daniel Pipes is one of the rare breed who can be counted on to act on principle.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
July 22nd, 2016 at 7:36:27 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
n

Trump doesn't fit the concept of self-made both proposed by Fredrick Douglas and Ben Franklin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-Made_Men

Mainly because making yourself rich with the trappings and advantages of class, society and education hasn't been understood to be self-made.

Now you're applying it to every person who starts with all those advantages and does well, and that's a lot of people.

If you want to accept a newer concept, I don't care, but I challenge you find a source to support it older than Franklin and Douglas.

When Trumps father died in 1999 his networth was estimated between 250 and 400 million. If the estate was evenly split Donald received $100 million max. 12 years later in 2011 Donald was worth $2.4 billion. Not many people can increas their networth 2400% in 12 years.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
July 22nd, 2016 at 7:59:29 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: kenarman
When Trumps father died in 1999 his networth was estimated between 250 and 400 million. If the estate was evenly split Donald received $100 million max. 12 years later in 2011 Donald was worth $2.4 billion. Not many people can increas their networth 2400% in 12 years.

And so?
July 22nd, 2016 at 8:06:37 AM permalink
kenarman
Quote: Nareed
And so?

Meets my definition of a self made man.
July 22nd, 2016 at 8:07:17 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Not many people can increas their networth 2400% in 12 years.

I disagree. Take a typical 18 year old and there is a good chance they have a networth twenty four times by the age of 30.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
July 22nd, 2016 at 8:12:19 AM permalink
Nareed
Meets my definition of a self made man.

Son of a millionaire with a big inheritance increases his net worth.

On other breaking news, water is moist.

Does this makes him in any way qualified to be president? Does it make him any less of a bigot? Does it makes any of his followers any less bigoted than he is?
July 22nd, 2016 at 8:39:13 AM permalink
kenarman
Quote: DRich
I disagree. Take a typical 18 year old and there is a good chance they have a networth twenty four times by the age of 30.

Except Trump was 53 when his Dad died. So either he had made most of his fortune before his father died. But many on the board seem to think it was an inheritance, in which case he increased it at a amazing rate.

How many here would like to be able to increase their retirement savings 2400% in the 12 years leading up to retirement at 65.