GOP Convention

July 21st, 2016 at 6:28:39 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Well, how close is Trump to being a fascist? Waiting to see how "dark" his speech is.

Quote:
What all forms of fascism have in common is the glorification of the nation, and the exaggeration of its humiliations, with violence promised to its enemies, at home and abroad; the worship of power wherever it appears and whoever holds it; contempt for the rule of law and for reason; unashamed employment of repeated lies as a rhetorical strategy; and a promise of vengeance for those who feel themselves disempowered by history. It promises to turn back time and take no prisoners. That it can appeal to those who do not understand its consequences is doubtless true. But the first job of those who do understand is to state what those consequences invariably are. Those who think that the underlying institutions of American government are immunized against it fail to understand history. In every historical situation where a leader of Trump’s kind comes to power, normal safeguards collapse. Ours are older and therefore stronger? Watching the rapid collapse of the Republican Party is not an encouraging rehearsal. Donald Trump has a chance to seize power.

http://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/being-honest-about-trump
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 21st, 2016 at 6:32:45 PM permalink
rxwine
I notice Trump has declared himself the "Law & Order" candidate. Sounds more like police state issue, than constitutional issues to me.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 21st, 2016 at 6:37:00 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
No need to wait for his speech. Someone leaked it to a Clinton Super Pac(!!!!).

Here it is:

Quote:

Friends, delegates and fellow Americans: I humbly and gratefully accept your nomination for the presidency of the United States.

Together, we will lead our party back to the White House, and we will lead our country back to safety, prosperity, and peace. We will be a country of generosity and warmth. But we will also be a country of law and order.

Our Convention occurs at a moment of crisis for our nation. The attacks on our police, and the terrorism in our cities, threaten our very way of life. Any politician who does not grasp this danger is not fit to lead our country.

Americans watching this address tonight have seen the recent images of violence in our streets and the chaos in our communities. Many have witnessed this violence personally, some have even been its victims.

I have a message for all of you: the crime and violence that today afflicts our nation will soon come to an end. Beginning on January 20th 2017, safety will be restored....

We Will Make America Proud Again.

We Will Make America Safe Again.

And We Will Make America Great Again.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
July 21st, 2016 at 8:34:09 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
AWESOME SPEECH BY TRUMP! That is how a self-made alpha-male hits it out of the park!
The President is a fink.
July 21st, 2016 at 9:23:05 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: AZDuffman
AWESOME SPEECH BY TRUMP! That is how a self-made alpha-male hits it out of the park!

Self made? I really don't think you aren't using those words how the rest of the world does...
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
July 21st, 2016 at 9:30:08 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: reno
Incidentally, conservative Republican author George Will is arguing that at some point in the next couple years, Texas will flip from Republican to Democrat:

Similar argument is often made that CA will flip to Republican as the suburbs keep filling out.

You can win an election on as few as 11 states (270 EV). Without Texas, the Republicans almost can't win.

STATE (+/- last census)
California
Texas(+4)
Florida(+2),
New York(−2)

Illinois(−1),
Pennsylvania(−1)
Ohio(−2)
Georgia(+1),

Michigan(−1)
North Carolina
New Jersey(−1)
July 21st, 2016 at 9:41:28 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
It looks to me like he plagiarized Barracks platform?

edit: http://www.debunkingmandelaeffects.com/mandela-effect-introduction/
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
July 21st, 2016 at 10:25:05 PM permalink
rxwine
Some people didn't like it.

Quote:

The Republican Party nominated Donald Trump as its candidate for president of the United States - and I responded by ending my 44-year GOP membership.

Here's why I bailed, quit, and jumped ship:

First, Trump's boorish, selfish, puerile, and repulsive character, combined with his prideful ignorance, his off-the-cuff policy making, and his neo-fascistic tendencies make him the most divisive and scary of any serious presidential candidate in American history. He is precisely "the man the founders feared," in Peter Wehner's memorable phrase. I want to be no part of this.

Second, his flip-flopping on the issues ("everything is negotiable") means that, as president, he has the mandate to do any damn thing he wants. This unprecedented and terrifying prospect could mean suing unfriendly reporters or bulldozing a recalcitrant Congress. It could also mean martial law. Count me out.

Third, with honorable exceptions, I wish to distance myself from a Republican Party establishment that made its peace with Trump to the point that it unfairly repressed elements at the national convention in Cleveland that still tried to resist his nomination. Yes, politicians and donors must focus on immediate issues (Supreme Court justice appointments) but party leaders like GOP committee chairman Reince Priebus, House Speaker Paul Ryan, and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell wrongly acquiesced to Trump. As columnist Michael Gerson wryly notes, Trump "attacked the Republican establishment as low-energy, cowering weaklings. Now Republican leaders are lining up to surrender to him - like low-energy, cowering weaklings."

Fourth, the conservative movement, to which I belong, has developed since the 1950s into a major intellectual force. It did so by building on several key ideas (limited government, a moral order, and a foreign policy reflecting American interests and values). But the cultural abyss and constitutional nightmare of a Trump presidency will likely destroy this delicate creation. Ironically, although a Hillary Clinton presidency threatens bad Supreme Court justices, it would leave the conservative movement intact.

Finally, Trump is "an ignorant, amoral, dishonest and manipulative, misogynistic, philandering, hyper-litigious, isolationist, protectionist blowhard" in the words of Republican donor Michael K. Vlock. That charming list of qualities means supporting Trump translates into never again being able to criticize a Democrat on the basis of character. Or, in personal terms: How can one look at oneself in the mirror?

And so, with Trump's formal nomination, I bailed.

For the Republican Party to recover its soul, Trump needs to be thumped in November. Purged of his influence, the party of Lincoln and Reagan can rebuild.

In the meantime, I shall support other Republican candidates, notably Pennsylvania's excellent Sen. Pat Toomey. As for president? Either the libertarian Gary Johnson, a write-in candidate, or no one at all.

Daniel Pipes has served in five presidential administrations (DanielPipes.org). @DanielPipes

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/politics/20160722_Daniel_Pipes__With_Trump_as_nominee__time_to_quit_the_GOP.html
July 21st, 2016 at 10:39:41 PM permalink
rxwine
Alpha-male air kiss.

July 22nd, 2016 at 2:44:12 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
Some people didn't like it.

Let him take his ball and play catch with George Will.
The President is a fink.