GOP Convention

July 21st, 2016 at 12:05:05 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: rxwine
Pretty sure Trump himself was willing to flout the pledge. .

Nope, he said he would do it and he
would have. Cruz made a big blunder,
his party hates him anyway, now they
can get rid of him for good.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 21st, 2016 at 12:57:09 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Evenbob
Nope, he said he would do it and he
would have. Cruz made a big blunder,
his party hates him anyway, now they
can get rid of him for good.

Saying you were willing to flout it is exactly what he meant.

Quote:
Donald Trump said Tuesday that he would no longer honor his pledge to support the eventual Republican nominee for president, while fellow candidates Ted Cruz and John Kasich refused to say whether they would back the party's pick.

All three GOP contenders appeared at a CNN town hall in Milwaukee one week before Wisconsin's April 5 primary.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/03/30/trump-rescinds-pledge-to-back-republican-nominee-cruz-kasich-refuse-to-commit-support.html
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 21st, 2016 at 2:03:40 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Pacomartin
Some critics were saying that Trump's family was being given too much speaking time in this convention. I remember Michelle Obama getting some fierce criticism in 2008 for her speech.

Critics have complained about everything Trump has done and will continue to do so no matter what. His wife and daughter are hot, men will tune in for that. Women will tune in because he is so about his family. Remember when Gore had that deep kiss with Tipper and half the women in the USA were going goo-goo about how he "loved his wife?"

Trump has clearly had the best instinct for what will work the entire campaign. He as a decade of knowing what has sold and what has not for TV. Don't doubt that he is using that here.
The President is a fink.
July 21st, 2016 at 6:15:25 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: reno
Not that I'm a fan of Cruz's hard right politics, but... Cruz nailed it tonight, that speech was a home run. And this is the best political convention of my lifetime.

Cruz had the cajones to stand up to the bully, and it sets him apart from the spineless con-men Trump apologists (Carson, Pence, Perry, Christie, Newt, Rush, Hannity).

1) "Cajones" is Spanish for "drawers" as in furniture.

2) If Cruz wants to stop Trump out of principle and not out of a means to obtain a future advantage, he'd run for president on a third-party ticket. I'm sure he won't do this.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
July 21st, 2016 at 6:16:51 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: rxwine
I think Carson may be a true believer in Trump. Leastwise he sounds nutty enough on his own.

Oh, the man is more out of touch with reality than your typical religious zealot. Most of the latter have sense enough not to invoke Satan in a political speech.
July 21st, 2016 at 7:01:05 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Didn't anyone watch Newt's speach where he explained that delagates had misunderstood Cruz's "vote your conscience" line and that it actually meant vote for Trump so thus a full endorsement.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
July 21st, 2016 at 7:50:03 AM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Quote: Nareed
1) "Cajones" is Spanish for "drawers" as in furniture.

Oops. Cojones, not cajones. (As you might imagine, I didn't do well in high school Spanish.)
July 21st, 2016 at 8:01:59 AM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Quote: Evenbob
Many are saying his career ended tonight.
He was taken on his word that he would
support whoever won, a very big deal.
Trump first refused, then later agreed.
For Cruz to do this, in the eyes of the
party he's now toast. Nobody will trust
him.

Trump accused Cruz' father of conspiring with Lee Harvey Oswald to assassinate JFK... and you're criticizing Cruz for not honoring a promise? Would you have endorsed a man who accused your father of assassinating JFK?

Quote: Jonah Goldberg
But if the choice is between forgiving Ted Cruz’s obvious political calculation to become the standard bearer of an authentic conservatism or Donald Trump’s lizard-brain narcissism where no principle or cause outranks his own glandular desire to be worshipped, like a conqueror atop the carcass of conservatism, I choose Ted.

If the choice is between, say, congratulating the Boy Scoutish obedience of Mike Pence as he sells off bits and pieces of his soul like jewels from a family heirloom just to survive another day, or Ted Cruz who took the tougher road and refused to join the mewling mobs of toadies, apologists, human weather vanes, difference-splitters and vacillators, I choose Ted.
July 21st, 2016 at 8:23:14 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: kenarman
Didn't anyone watch Newt's speach where he explained that delagates had misunderstood Cruz's "vote your conscience" line and that it actually meant vote for Trump so thus a full endorsement.

Doesn't everyone know that "your conscience" is Jiminy Cricket and not Donald Trump? ;)
July 21st, 2016 at 8:38:22 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Nareed
Doesn't everyone know that "your conscience" is Jiminy Cricket and not Donald Trump? ;)

Disney or Trump pretty much the same reality isn't it.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin