Aviation Mega Cities

Page 4 of 6<123456>
August 22nd, 2016 at 6:29:57 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: DRich
This just comes back to your earlier point. When do people just fly private? People that are willing to pay truckloads of money are probably pretty rare and they may be capable of chartering their own plane.

Good point. and I hear "The Residence" on Etihad A380s usually goes empty. But it seems like the kind of thing for one of the big Mideast airlines to try and do.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
August 22nd, 2016 at 7:06:53 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
Good point. and I hear "The Residence" on Etihad A380s usually goes empty.

I've read that they had no trouble selling tickets to London and to JFK (up to $32K for one way from Abu Dhabi to JFK), but that sales to Singapore were not as good.
August 22nd, 2016 at 8:26:04 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Pacomartin
I've read that they had no trouble selling tickets to London and to JFK (up to $32K for one way from Abu Dhabi to JFK), but that sales to Singapore were not as good.

Assuming most of these people eventually fly back, I keep wondering who has $64K for travel.

Oh, I know there are lots of people with money, but still... Don't they have something better on which to spend their money? Think, how long is a direct, non-stop flight to JFK from Abu Dhabi? If it's sixteen hours, they're paying about $2,000 an hour for a trip!
August 22nd, 2016 at 9:58:42 AM permalink
Pacomartin
If it's sixteen hours, they're paying about $2,000 an hour for a trip!

Spending grotesque amounts of money on travel is the ultimate indulgence. It is even more sybaritic than eating ice cream with edible 24 carat gold sprinkles (for $1000).

How about paying $8,785.14 round trip to fly from JFK to London City Airport on a Baby Bus A318?
Keep in mind that a business class ticket can be $7,184.11 from JFK to London Heathrow (so there is only a $1600 difference).

I imagine no one has ever bought a ticket to LCY with their own money.
August 22nd, 2016 at 10:53:12 AM permalink
Nareed
How about paying $8,785.14 round trip to fly from JFK to London City Airport on a Baby Bus A318?
Keep in mind that a business class ticket can be $7,184.11 from JFK to London Heathrow (so there is only a $1600 difference).

This also seems excessive, but:

Quote:
I imagine no one has ever bought a ticket to LCY with their own money.

As a business expense, it's tax-deductible and all that. For some companies, it must also be a perk of sorts.

I can justify paying for business class, and first class, on long haul flights because economy, even in "enhanced" or "premium" versions is a miserable way to spend 6-16 hours. Whereas a lie-flat seat affords you the opportunity to rest and/or work. I can see businesses where paying for business class represents a lesser expense than taking a day, or even just part of a day, to recover from a flight on economy.

Also, who knows how frequent flier miles/points work in corporate travel. In our company, when the company pays for tickets on, say, AM, you can have the miles credited to your frequent flier account. Some of those bankers catching the shuttle, might just be cashing-in for several trips JFK-LHR in economy.
August 22nd, 2016 at 11:33:04 AM permalink
Pacomartin
This also seems excessive, but:

I forgot to mention that the Baby bus seats are identical to the seats on the larger planes flying into Heathrow. They are both 6 feet flat bed with 20" wide.

I've never been in a seat like that. The few times I was upgraded they were to recliner seats, which are 38" in pitch, and they are only configured so that there are 2 together.
August 22nd, 2016 at 11:43:20 AM permalink
Nareed
I forgot to mention that the Baby bus seats are identical to the seats on the larger planes flying into Heathrow. They are both 6 feet flat bed with 20" wide.

I knew this. Which means the A318 business class is more expensive and lacks direct aisle access from every seat ;) Really BA has done achieved an awesome marketing triumph with these two planes. They should look into other routes high in demand through London city. Though I really can't think of another not involving a stop for refueling.

Quote:
I've never been in a seat like that. The few times I was upgraded they were to recliner seats, which are 38" in pitch, and they are only configured so that there are 2 together.

I've never had that much.

By far my best was an undersold Continental DC-10 Gatwick to IAH, where I took a whole middle row for myself, in economy. 4 seats with the arm rests raised does well enough in lieu of a bed.

You know, these days I wouldn't do it. I'd worry too much about bad turbulence...
August 22nd, 2016 at 12:53:56 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51

Also, who knows how frequent flier miles/points work in corporate travel. In our company, when the company pays for tickets on, say, AM, you can have the miles credited to your frequent flier account. Some of those bankers catching the shuttle, might just be cashing-in for several trips JFK-LHR in economy.

Many years ago I flew a lot and one of the perks was keeping your miles. I did one stretch if 51 straight weeks of Las Vegas to Philadelphia on Sunday and return on Thursday. I actually became friendly with the flight crew because it was usually the same pilots and cabin staff most weeks.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
August 22nd, 2016 at 1:08:50 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: DRich
Many years ago I flew a lot and one of the perks was keeping your miles. I did one stretch if 51 straight weeks of Las Vegas to Philadelphia on Sunday and return on Thursday. I actually became friendly with the flight crew because it was usually the same pilots and cabin staff most weeks.

What I'd like to know is that you did with those miles.

Also, what were the drives to the airports like? If I had to get to MEX every week, I'd probably wind up with some kind of violent psychotic break.
August 22nd, 2016 at 2:00:54 PM permalink
Pacomartin
What I'd like to know is that you did with those miles.

Also, what were the drives to the airports like? If I had to get to MEX every week, I'd probably wind up with some kind of violent psychotic break.

Although the airports are similar size, I think access is easier in the USA. There are high speed bus lines from the West side in Las Vegas, and there is a 9 mile train from Philadelphia to 30th street station right downtown with 30 minute headway.

LAS 45.5 million air passengers
MEX 38.4 million
PHL 31.4 million
Page 4 of 6<123456>