Police Shootings -- A Solution

Page 1 of 3123>
October 4th, 2016 at 4:18:13 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
I have the solution to the Police shootings problem:

1) Don't run.

2) Comply with the officer's instructions.

The news reports all seem to show a video of a crying mother, and start with "Police shoot man...", instead of "Man who ran from police got shot", or "Man who resisted arrest got shot".

I don't think it's that complicated.
October 4th, 2016 at 4:27:26 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Ayecarumba
I have the solution to the Police shootings problem:

1) Don't run.

2) Comply with the officer's instructions.

The news reports all seem to show a video of a crying mother, and start with "Police shoot man...", instead of "Man who ran from police got shot", or "Man who resisted arrest got shot".

I don't think it's that complicated.

Tell that to Charles Kinsey

"They cuff my hands and they flip me over. And I'm saying, 'sir, why did you shoot me?' and his words to me, he said, 'I don't know,'" Kinsey said.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/florida-police-shooting-unarmed-caregiver-of-autistic-man-victim-account/

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/crime/2016/07/charles_kinsey_did_everything_he_possibly_could_not_to_be_shot_by_police.html
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 4th, 2016 at 5:13:28 PM permalink
Aussie
Threads: 2
Why does a running AWAY from police warrant being shot? I can understand when they are running TOWARDS officers that there may be a reasonable assumption that they are under imminent threat but how is a shooting is justified when they are running away.
October 4th, 2016 at 6:22:30 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Quote: terapined
Tell that to Charles Kinsey

"They cuff my hands and they flip me over. And I'm saying, 'sir, why did you shoot me?' and his words to me, he said, 'I don't know,'" Kinsey said.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/florida-police-shooting-unarmed-caregiver-of-autistic-man-victim-account/

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/crime/2016/07/charles_kinsey_did_everything_he_possibly_could_not_to_be_shot_by_police.html

Well, there's no cure for bad aim. The officer's explanation was that Mr. Kinsey was not the target, but ended up as collateral damage.
October 4th, 2016 at 6:26:29 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Quote: Aussie
Why does a running AWAY from police warrant being shot? I can understand when they are running TOWARDS officers that there may be a reasonable assumption that they are under imminent threat but how is a shooting is justified when they are running away.

Running, in and of itself, is not justification, but it doesn't help the situation. It only causes confusion. If you don't want to get shot, simply comply with the police officer's orders.
October 4th, 2016 at 6:30:16 PM permalink
terapined
Well, there's no cure for bad aim. The officer's explanation was that Mr. Kinsey was not the target, but ended up as collateral damage.

OMG
Lets kill the non-violent mental patient playing with a toy truck

A good cop would have walked up with weapon holstered and say WTF is going on
A lot of cops walk into dicey situations. This isn't one of them.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 4th, 2016 at 7:26:32 PM permalink
Aussie
Threads: 2
Running, in and of itself, is not justification, but it doesn't help the situation. It only causes confusion. If you don't want to get shot, simply comply with the police officer's orders.

No argument that just doing what youre told is the way to go but really the only time a suspect should be shot is if the officers are in danger. As someone from another country looking in it really appears that your police officers are far too aggressive and quick to over-react at the smallest thing. Maybe they really are in a lot more danger generally that other countries I don't know but the impression we get is that they are a significant part of the problem.
October 4th, 2016 at 10:23:53 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
New Zealand police have never had ANY such incidents as have made the headlines recently in the USA.

Of course, the New Zealand police are not authorized to carry or display firearms or any other type of weapon.

On Edit: Oh, and NZ jails are clean, quiet and rather comfortable. They are still jails however but nothing like this country's loud, noisy and dangerous places. More like a library with an iron door.
October 4th, 2016 at 11:00:32 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Quote: terapined
OMG
Lets kill the non-violent mental patient playing with a toy truck

A good cop would have walked up with weapon holstered and say WTF is going on
A lot of cops walk into dicey situations. This isn't one of them.

Yep. Pretty thin, but that's the story. I think that cop was just negligent, and would have shot someone, regardless of race.

Most cases are like this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yqlbvFk84g

or this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuA93T2PGHE

or this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBnUAb0lXjM

It's not like the cops are sneaking up on folks and plugging them. They give commands which are ignored, or are in pursuit of someone running, or have to deal with a mentally ill person who may be armed and intent on harming someone.

To Aussie - The media sensationalizes these stories to make it appear common place. Sort of like all the dingos stealing babies down under. The reality is that the huge majority of police in America are trained, competent professionals doing a very difficult job.
October 5th, 2016 at 4:53:21 AM permalink
terapined
Yep. Pretty thin, but that's the story. I think that cop was just negligent, and would have shot someone, regardless of race.

If it was a white female nurse out there, no way the cop takes the shot
A good cop would have walked up with gun holstered and ask WTF is going on
White female lives matter to cops

It's not like the cops are sneaking up on folks and plugging them. They give commands which are ignored, or are in pursuit of someone running, or have to deal with a mentally ill person who may be armed and intent on harming someone.

To Aussie - The media sensationalizes these stories to make it appear common place. Sort of like all the dingos stealing babies down under. The reality is that the huge majority of police in America are trained, competent professionals doing a very difficult job.

How about this cop
Guy is in his own driveway
He sees a cop driving slowly around so he start videotaping
A lot of cops hate citizens just videotaping. Some like this cop will actually draw a weapon.
Draw a weapon for simply videotaping then harassing
To many Barney Fife's out there

How about this. After the chase is over. Father puts his hand up and outside the car so police can see he is unarmed
Cops shoot anyway murdering a 6yr old boy
Cops arrested for murder
Page 1 of 3123>