2 votes (8.69%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (4.34%)

23 members have voted

March 27th, 2017 at 6:25:29 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: rxwine
About the only walls that work well are prison walls, because they're guarded by the foot, 24 hours a day and not by 3,4, or 10 miles of space.

Boondoggle.

The border is guarded 24 hrs a day now by thousands of agents. They are usually patrolling by vehicle but walk-in to those areas that can't be reached by vehicle. When I was touring the Arizona and California desert in January we would see patrol vehicle and some times agents on foot several times a day in the desert near the border. There is also an "Alien checkpoint" on Highway 95 North of Yuma.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
March 27th, 2017 at 6:35:53 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
About the only walls that work well are prison walls,.

Don't tell that to the 65 countries
that have border walls and those
that are building them now. They
think they work because they mostly
they do.

Israel's wall with Egypt cut the influx
of illegals from 12,000 a year to a
couple dozen. Walls work.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 27th, 2017 at 6:45:23 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: kenarman
The border is guarded 24 hrs a day now by thousands of agents. They are usually patrolling by vehicle but walk-in to those areas that can't be reached by vehicle. When I was touring the Arizona and California desert in January we would see patrol vehicle and some times agents on foot several times a day in the desert near the border. There is also an "Alien checkpoint" on Highway 95 North of Yuma.

That seems like an awful lot of wasted man-power and money to keep out people looking for work...

But what the hell. No one said Berlin Wall Envy was a rational condition.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 27th, 2017 at 7:00:28 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Donald is tweeting tonight.

Must've been a bad day.

The Feds are closing in on him.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
March 27th, 2017 at 7:27:05 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Nareed
That seems like an awful lot of wasted man-power and money to keep out people looking for work...

We have millions of unemployed here, why
do we need even more.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 27th, 2017 at 7:27:37 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14

Obama was still president when I was there.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
March 27th, 2017 at 7:32:49 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: kenarman
Obama was still president when I was there.

Oh, well, that changes everything!

In that case, I'd say something like:

March 27th, 2017 at 7:56:07 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189

Quote:
The U.S. has spent $132 billion since fiscal year 2005 on border security, according to the Migration Policy Institute. That spending  includes thousands of additional agents, fencing, ground sensors, surveillance cameras with night vision, radar, helicopters, drones and criminal prosecutions of undocumented migrants caught crossing illegally.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/politics/border-issues/2016/10/09/how-many-mexicans-actually-cross-border-illegally/91280026/

It ain't peanuts.

A sensible policy decides if a person is a net gain or loss. If a burglar gets into my home everyday, and only does the housework, I'm not going to wait around and shoot him or her. Some people might, but I won't.

But just deciding to punish everyone is the first sign of idiocy.

What the hell, we should punish 16 year olds for lying about their age to fight for their country if you want to follow laws without regard to harm. That's the kind of thinking going on by the braindead.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 28th, 2017 at 3:57:32 PM permalink
Nareed
http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/politics/border-issues/2016/10/09/how-many-mexicans-actually-cross-border-illegally/91280026/

It ain't peanuts.

A sensible policy decides if a person is a net gain or loss. If a burglar gets into my home everyday, and only does the housework, I'm not going to wait around and shoot him or her. Some people might, but I won't.

But just deciding to punish everyone is the first sign of idiocy.

I was going to reply with a long, thoughtful post about criminal reform as a path to immigration reform. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized the most effective way to reform immigration, is to get a lot of white people, mostly men, to try to immigrate to the US. That would work wonders.

I'm feeling bitter and disappointed.
March 28th, 2017 at 4:16:10 PM permalink
Evenbob
Here we go:

Trump Signs Executive Order Unwinding Obama Climate Policies

"Today’s energy independence action calls for an immediate reevaluation of the so-called Clean Power Plan. Perhaps no single regulation threatens our miners, energy workers, and companies more than this crushing attack on American industry. Second, we are lifting the ban on federal leasing for coal production. Third, we are lifting job-killing restrictions on the production of oil, natural gas, clean coal, and shale energy. And, finally, we are returning power to the states where that power belongs. States and local communities know what is best for them." President Trump

With one executive order, he wiped out
a dozen of Obama EO's concerning the EPA.
This will also get us kicked out of the Paris
Climate Accord, which is a good thing. Great
day for America, making it like Obama was
never here.