2 votes (8.69%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (4.34%)

23 members have voted

December 21st, 2017 at 4:25:27 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Ahh ok.

I've been having trouble finding justification or praise from people who aren't in the "drinking the kool-aid" camp who support absolutely anyone or anything that their party supports, no matter what.

The tax bill exposes yet more hypocrisy - I guess deficit spending isn't so bad now. Couldn't do a darn thing when a democrat was president or in control in congress, but now, spend away! I often sided with the republicans on this sort of issue, regarding specifically fiscal responsibility, but with this bill, what am I supposed to think? By the way, trickle-down is total bs and isn't supported by overall evidence and experience. There are always extremes - it isn't hard to imagine how 100% taxation is bad for business.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
December 21st, 2017 at 5:16:01 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Dalex64
I've been having trouble finding justification or praise from people who aren't in the "drinking the kool-aid"
I read an explanation a few years back that seems to fit.

The difference between the Democratic party and the Republican party is, the Democrats tax and spend, while the Republicans, borrow and spend.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
December 21st, 2017 at 9:29:34 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Uh Oh..

Judge Dismisses Suit Against Trump Over Business Dealings

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/judge-dismisses-suit-against-trump-over-business-dealings/ar-BBH89QU?ocid=spartandhp
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 22nd, 2017 at 8:15:19 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Those three days went by too fast...
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
December 22nd, 2017 at 8:19:58 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: ams288
Those three days went by too fast...

Enjoyed the 3 days of living in your bubble with no pins around did you.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
December 22nd, 2017 at 10:02:48 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Trump signs bill today, after being swayed by the press.

Quote: ap
Trump said that he originally planned to sign the tax bill early next year but moved it up on the spur of the moment after watching media coverage Friday morning about the legislation.

Apparently by waiting until next year, some automatic program cuts would have been deferred until 2019.

Also this gives companies and the IRS time to figure out proper withholding for paychecks sooner.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
December 22nd, 2017 at 12:02:21 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Dave Chappelle says Trump's tax plan helps rich black men like himself not the poor white men who voted for Trump. Funny.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 23rd, 2017 at 5:35:08 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
My taxes are going up. A lot. There is actually a Yahoo news article that specifically mentions who will be hit worst, and it says "anesthesiologists in high tax states". Me! Since NY has literally millions who are a drain on the states finances by contributing nothing and taking via Welfare and Medicaid, we have high State Income taxes. And property taxes are high as well. (250k house = 8k a year in taxes). So now only 10k of the around 40k will be deductible on the federal return. And the 35% bracket remains unchanged (the lower brackets were where the decreases were) So the wealthy but not ridiculously wealthy will be paying more. Why is the left complaining again?
December 23rd, 2017 at 4:12:05 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: SOOPOO
My taxes are going up. A lot. There is actually a Yahoo news article that specifically mentions who will be hit worst, and it says "anesthesiologists in high tax states". Me! Since NY has literally millions who are a drain on the states finances by contributing nothing and taking via Welfare and Medicaid, we have high State Income taxes. And property taxes are high as well. (250k house = 8k a year in taxes). So now only 10k of the around 40k will be deductible on the federal return. And the 35% bracket remains unchanged (the lower brackets were where the decreases were) So the wealthy but not ridiculously wealthy will be paying more. Why is the left complaining again?

So you're saying you're glad you pay more and the "ridiculously wealthy" who don't need help will have even more money? No, I don't get that.

Sure Trump is giving tax breaks. To pay for 1.5 trillion addition, more than likely the same people that may benefitting from tax cuts will find programs cut later to pay for it. They just don't know it yet.

I expect Trumps deregulation to do a lot of long term damage that no one will see right away. Suppose they were to cut funding for programs that promote or treat HPV vaccines for teens. By the time the cancer links show up decades later Trump will be long gone.

Once corporations know no is paying attention they'll go right back to diverting as much profit to the top. But right now it's great PR to announce Christmas bonuses.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 24th, 2017 at 4:52:29 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: rxwine
So you're saying you're glad you pay more and the "ridiculously wealthy" who don't need help will have even more money? No, I don't get that.

I never said I was in favor of the Tax Bill. I would raise taxes on everyone AND cut spending, as the ridiculous National Debt is a killer. If we lower said debt then we need to pay less in interest, which of course either allows for more spending or lower taxes.

The elimination of the state tax deduction for the upper middle class and wealthy is meant to hurt high tax (see Democrat) states. Watch Cuomo squirm next year trying to make a balanced budget. I am sure top earning New Yorkers will continue an exodus to low tax states (see Florida). I'll bet $1 Trump will do the same! Unless for legal reasons he must be a legal resident of D.C.

But I take issue with your "need help" comment. Taxes are not meant to "help" anyone, they are meant to fund the government. The rich always have paid a ridiculously disproportionate share of the taxes, as an example people here scoffing at the one number we have Trump paying ONE year, 38 million! Tax changes during my lifetime just adjust the ridiculous disparity, sometimes up, sometimes down.