2 votes (8.69%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (4.34%)

23 members have voted

December 6th, 2018 at 11:37:54 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: petroglyph
On the flip side, Iran wouldn't have signed the NPT, if they were attempting to make nuke weapons.

Maybe they have changed their mind since the days of the Shah? In any case they are really not to be trusted.
The President is a fink.
December 6th, 2018 at 11:40:52 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: kenarman
You do realize that is no way proof that it is man caused. It may be proof that the world is still warming from the last ice age. To pretend that when the world population was 5% of what it is today we were already screwing up the client is ludicrous. If that were true then even if we reduced our carbon output by 95% today we would still have man made global warming. Even the most rabid climate scientists claim that much smaller reductions in our carbon outputs are going to save us. Just another huge inconsistency in the claims and the reason anyone with half a brain takes them with a grain of salt.

You also once suggested the Fukushima disaster was a bearable cost. The clean up cost is now estimated at 180 billion and decades to finish.

You and Duffman can get in your boat of irrelevancy and start rowing to nowhere.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/60-minutes-reporting-from-fukushima/
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 6th, 2018 at 11:45:06 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: rxwine
You also once suggested the Fukushima disaster was a bearable cost. The clean up cost is now estimated at 180 billion and decades to finish.

$180 Billion is nothing compared to what the GW crazies want to cost us in taxes and regulations.

When the Algores of the GW movement tear down their mansions and start flying coach then they might not look so silly.
The President is a fink.
December 6th, 2018 at 11:46:25 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: AZDuffman
Maybe they have changed their mind since the days of the Shah? In any case they are really not to be trusted.
Have you read John Perkins, "Confessions of an economic hitman". It's a short read, he interviewed some people in Iran that had been tortured under the Shah.

Perkins has been trying to make amends, it's a good little book. https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/confessions-of-an-economic-hit-man_john-perkins/248413/?mkwid=sGAAUWCGY%7cdc&pcrid=70112890512&pkw=&pmt=&plc=&pgrid=21326630352&ptaid=pla-485630667792&gclid=Cj0KCQiArqPgBRCRARIsAPwlHoVBVgD7YIoXdSxuWQjC5YwyYbbs-JIyjt-bXjOM6lRlUntdodCTjuAaApPCEALw_wcB#isbn=1576753018&idiq=1925820
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
December 6th, 2018 at 11:56:29 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
$180 Billion is nothing compared to what the GW crazies want to cost us in taxes and regulations.

When the Algores of the GW movement tear down their mansions and start flying coach then they might not look so silly.

Well I fly coach.

Yeah, I know, rightwing likes to pretend we save money by waiting for disasters to happen for the most part pretending preventive stuff is a waste of money. And we do until they happen.

Except for the wall on the border, which they seem to believe in.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 6th, 2018 at 12:00:26 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: rxwine

Yeah, I know, rightwing likes to pretend we save money by waiting for disasters to happen for the most part pretending preventive stuff is a waste of money. And we do until they happen.

Nonsense. We plan for disasters all the time. It is just that you cannot plan for general weather and climate. It may get warmer, it may get colder, or it may stay the same. But it will happen over decades to centuries so you just keep going with life.

Quote:
Except for the wall on the border, which they seem to believe in.

Because it is clear to see how a wall will work. Or did you miss the caravan trying to invade?
The President is a fink.
December 6th, 2018 at 12:03:42 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Have you read John Perkins, "Confessions of an economic hitman". It's a short read, he interviewed some people in Iran that had been tortured under the Shaw.

Shah, not Shaw.

Have not read that one, but he did have some awful secret police. I just saw a documentary on the persepolis celebration the Shah held. They rounded up any possible troublemakers. His treatment of his people is a major reason for the islamic revolution.

Then when the revolution happened, the new power put their own religious police in place, probably used the very same torture rooms as the old regime.
The President is a fink.
December 6th, 2018 at 12:14:49 PM permalink
petroglyph
Shah, not Shaw.
Correct and corrected.

Quote:
Have not read that one, but he did have some awful secret police. I just saw a documentary on the persepolis celebration the Shah held. They rounded up any possible troublemakers. His treatment of his people is a major reason for the islamic revolution.

Then when the revolution happened, the new power put their own religious police in place, probably used the very same torture rooms as the old regime.

Did the docu mention that the Shah was our guy? https://foreignpolicy.com/2013/08/19/cia-admits-it-was-behind-irans-coup/
December 6th, 2018 at 12:16:31 PM permalink
petroglyph
Pompeo also wanted to quit the INS treaty. https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/weapons/a25413479/us-quit-inf-nuclear-weapons-treaty/
December 6th, 2018 at 12:19:28 PM permalink
AZDuffman

Not a ton, but I always thought that was well known. I guess it used to be a huge deal balancing him and the Saudis. Supposedly he did not like having to do the secret police thing as he saw himself as a monarch, not a dictator. But Iran seems so ungovernable maybe they are inevitable.

As to being "our guy" way back a guy I knew told me about this old board game called "Oil War" from back in the day. Said it was weird to play as Iran was set up as a US ally.

He was more than just "our guy" actually. He was seen as the key to keeping a lid on the entire area.
The President is a fink.