3 votes (14.28%)
7 votes (33.33%)
4 votes (19.04%)
No votes (0%)

21 members have voted

January 22nd, 2013 at 12:10:15 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
I always thought the wheelbarrow was for carrying your money. I think the image is on one of the "Chance" or "Community Chest" cards.
I'm indifferent about the hat. It is a tall silk hat, like the one Mr. Moneybags wears, so I don't think it would be on the chopping block.
The car is hard to pick up, but always popular with kids.
The battleship harkens to Atlantic City's popularity as a wartime (and peacetime) naval port.
Wasn't a bag o money one of the new pieces?

My suggestion for a new piece would be a "Mr. Moneybags". He would be easy to pick up. However, if the deleted piece is more "female friendly", I think they would replace it with something that appeals to girls... perhaps a "Tiara", or a "Trophy". After all, AC was famous for its beauty contests, and one of the Community Chest cards awards money for a for winning a beauty contest.
January 22nd, 2013 at 12:24:00 PM permalink
DJTeddyBear
Threads: 5
Quote: Ayecarumba
The battleship harkens to Atlantic City's popularity as a wartime (and peacetime) naval port.
Atlantic City was once a naval port? News to me.
Ignorance is bliss and knowledge is power. But having only some facts can get you into trouble!
January 22nd, 2013 at 12:39:12 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Say, how about replacing Monopoly with a game that can actually be finished?

I recall many hours playing Monopoly-like games, but I don't think I ever saw one go to the finish. They all ended by exhaustion.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 22nd, 2013 at 1:10:03 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
You have to play with the, "Auction rule," to finish a game quickly. Basically, if one lands on a property and doesn't want to buy it at face value, then all players enter an auction for it. It can either be an open auction or a silent auction. The open auction is just verbally outbidding one another, whereas the silent auction just involves writing your initials and bid on a scrap of paper and then turning them all in to the banker with the highest bidder getting it.

The auction rule is also fun if you land on a spot that would give someone else a set. You can either buy/hold just to prevent them from having it, trade it to them immediately or later, or you can enter an auction if they are low on money and you think they will bid well over face value. It depends on who you are playing, so you hope to know your opponent.

I tend to buy/hold early in the game because I can always trade later, but early in the game if you can isolate one or more opponents and prevent them from having a set of any kind, then that's a nice and easy knockout. If it's later in the game and I already have a few sets of properties, then I'll let it go to auction if I think they will bid enough that hitting one of my properties would then bankrupt them.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
January 22nd, 2013 at 1:40:06 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Mission146
I tend to buy/hold early in the game because I can always trade later,

Oh, trades caused fights in some games! So did auctions, sometimes.

One set of "Turista" had an optional rule to set a number of rounds around the board. Once the number was reached, the game would be over, with whoever had the most money winning. you can guess no one ever kept accurate count, or even remembered to do so.

So, exhaustion.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 22nd, 2013 at 5:57:31 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: DJTeddyBear

Might be why they have those huge piers.
The President is a fink.
January 22nd, 2013 at 7:17:32 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Quote: DJTeddyBear

Read some articles here, here and here. Perhaps "station" would be a more accurate term.
January 22nd, 2013 at 7:28:35 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Quote: Wizard
Who voted for the hat? I feel like banning somebody.

What's confusing, is that the Monopoly voting site describes the situation as one piece will be left behind after the vote, and the others "released". However, the vote is for a single piece you want to save (not the one you want to remove).

I think they set it up this way on purpose to confuse folks. The reality is that it has already been decided which piece will go, and which will replace it. The manufacturing of the new piece, new packaging, and creation of assorted media support, takes several months. so I am fairly certain it is already a done deal, despite what the real vote might have revealed.
January 22nd, 2013 at 7:34:26 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Ayecarumba
Read some articles . Perhaps "station" would be a more accurate term.

I learned something today.
January 22nd, 2013 at 10:03:22 PM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
Quote: Pacomartin
Previous tokens retired in the 1950s : Lantern....

Lantern? Isn't that supposed to be the Liberty Bell?
Page 3 of 4<1234>