Quitting Smoking

Page 4 of 4<1234
February 22nd, 2013 at 11:48:35 AM permalink
AcesAndEights
Threads: 6
Quote: AZDuffman
Whatever works do it!

I think what all the taxes and restrictions have done is cut down on the chain smoking. You rarely hear of two-pack a day habits anymore. When I was a kid you heard of all kinds of peoe smoking that much. Thus cutting back becomes harder as there is less to cut back from.

No offense but I do not see why anyone born since 1960 would even start.

Otoh I have acquired some tobacco seed this year and am going to grow some just for fun. Mixed in water it can be a good pesticide.

Clearly you underestimate the power of peer pressure! I smoked a few packs back in the day (just after high school), 'cause all the cool kids were doing it. Seriously. It sounds dumb, but teenagers are dumb.

I am lucky enough not to have the addictive gene, I think, or something. I never got hooked. Even now, when I'm in Vegas, I will smoke a few and am able to put it down as soon as I get home.
"You think I'm joking." -EvenBob
February 23rd, 2013 at 8:16:22 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: AcesAndEights
Clearly you underestimate the power of peer pressure! I smoked a few packs back in the day (just after high school), 'cause all the cool kids were doing it. Seriously. It sounds dumb, but teenagers are dumb.

I am lucky enough not to have the addictive gene, I think, or something. I never got hooked. Even now, when I'm in Vegas, I will smoke a few and am able to put it down as soon as I get home.

I might underestimate it I guess, because I didn't care about "fitting in" as much as most others. Made my social circle small, but that never bothered me.

Anyways, a few friends of mine smoked, but having seen all the commercials as a kid about how bad it was, along with seeing my aunt dying from smoking-related illnesses (curiously almost everything *excepr* cancer) I never started except to try one once to see the big deal. I never got it, though used to enjoy a cigar with friends.

When I was in high school the bigger thing was snuff. The dangers of it were just being understood, but I didn't need even one warning to not use it. I found snuff to be a filthy, disgusting thing and have never once tried even one dip/rub and can easily say I plan to die being able to say the same thing.

Seriously, what is the attraction in snuff?
The President is a fink.
February 23rd, 2013 at 11:58:20 PM permalink
JB
Administrator
Threads: 10
Quote: AZDuffman
No offense but I do not see why anyone born since 1960 would even start.

Growing up, I was always led to believe that death was the end of existence, and as such, I didn't see a problem with each cigarette taking 5 minutes off the other end of my life (the old and wrinkly years).
February 24th, 2013 at 8:17:52 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: JB
Growing up, I was always led to believe that death was the end of existence, and as such, I didn't see a problem with each cigarette taking 5 minutes off the other end of my life (the old and wrinkly years).

If you could be sure the end was like turning off a switch, that'd be one thing. But lousy health and then acute suffering at the end, meh.

How is the weight going?
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
February 24th, 2013 at 12:00:36 PM permalink
JB
Administrator
Threads: 10
Quote: odiousgambit
How is the weight going?

It seems to have plateaued/leveled off.
March 5th, 2013 at 2:11:41 AM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
You know I think people actually get addicted to smoking before they ever smoke their first cigarette due to second hand smoke. I remember before I started smoking I noticed beginning to like the smell of smoke and within a few years I tried one. I don't know if occasional snuff and stoagies primed me. I was really not hooked on either and only rarely dabbled with them. I started by buying them before I was 18. I do know for me smoking has definitely eroded my will power since I've started and don't know why besides doing something I really didn't want to do all these years.
Page 4 of 4<1234