Questions for Trumpers

Page 6 of 6« First<3456
February 16th, 2017 at 6:39:53 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
For one thing, childhood vaccines are given over a period of several years. The risk for children still to be vaccinated for X disease, is inversely proportional to the percentage of the population already vaccinated against X.

Sure. let people who want to avoid vaccine do so, provided they move away from the rest of us. We could set up reservations for them, perhaps, on some forgotten corner of the Sonoran desert.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 16th, 2017 at 7:34:59 PM permalink
stinkingliberal
Threads: 17
Quote: AZDuffman
No evidence needed. If you do not take one you are "endangering" nobody but yourself. Why is that so hard to understand?

Communicable.
Diseases.
Are.
Contagious.
DUH!

Why is THAT so hard to understand?
February 17th, 2017 at 1:15:45 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
I lean towards vaccinations being the right thing to do.

I think more people are being diagnosed with all kinds of things now and people are looking for a reason for it.

ADD/ADHD? That used to be just a kid with too much energy who spent a lot of time with a nose in the corner, a special seat outside the classroom, etc. Now zillions of kids seem to be afflicted. Some need a kick in the pants, not medicine. Some need medicine.

Autism? Again, many were dismissed as weird little kids and it was left at that. Not saying that it was right; but it was the way it was.

Sure, than be things that cause issues...the food we eat, the lack of an attention span due to over-stimulated folks, etc. Vaccines may be a convenient place to lay blame, but the science does not seem to support that notion.

...and I still find it despicable that some here want to bring the President's minor son into the discussion like they have some facts. That is a low life way to do things.
February 17th, 2017 at 7:42:10 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Doc SOOPOO here. The immunization discussion is not as easy as AZ makes it seem. Many of these are given to minors who really need someone else to make their decisions. Society has used evidence to determine that some vaccines have a risk benefit ratio so far below one that to not get the vaccine is akin to child endangerment. It has been decades since I was taught about the risks of vaccines, but as an example there was 1 that had a 1 in a million chance of having some form of severe allergic reaction to it that could be fatal, but the other 999,999 will save 50 lives. So, even though it would be very sad if your child was the one dead one in a million, eliminating the vaccine would cost 50 other kids their lives.
In high school I dated a girl whose family was Christian Scientist, and they forewent 'traditional' medical care...... until the girl, as a toddler, got very sick. When faced with the possible death of their child, they chose real science over "Christian Science".
Although I do not think vaccines 'cause' autism, I do not consider it a zero percent chance that they might increase the possibility. But I have seen no evidence presented that would make me think that the risk of vaccination exceeds the benefits. So if you are an adult I have no problem with you refusing any treatment with proper informed consent. But we must protect the children from irrational thinking parents.

If anyone isn't bored yet, this issue comes up with Jehovah's witnesses and minors as well. With rigorous informed consent, I will allow an adult to die rather than transfuse. But to do so for a minor we would require a court order to withhold life saving blood transfusions, not just the parents' instructions. I have not practiced at a pediatric hospital for the last 26 years, so the pediatric issue doesn't come up for me anymore.
February 17th, 2017 at 8:20:28 AM permalink
Nareed
Why aren't more Republican officials and politicians doing all they can to oust Trump in favor of Vice President Pence?

He seems to enjoy broad support, and he'd be able to conduct himself as anything other than a buffoon or a pervert. Besides, how many in the GOP favored voting for Golden Boy in order to get Pence into the White House this year?
February 17th, 2017 at 8:32:54 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: SOOPOO
Doc SOOPOO here. The immunization discussion is not as easy as AZ makes it seem. Many of these are given to minors who really need someone else to make their decisions. Society has used evidence to determine that some vaccines have a risk benefit ratio so far below one that to not get the vaccine is akin to child endangerment. It has been decades since I was taught about the risks of vaccines, but as an example there was 1 that had a 1 in a million chance of having some form of severe allergic reaction to it that could be fatal, but the other 999,999 will save 50 lives. So, even though it would be very sad if your child was the one dead one in a million, eliminating the vaccine would cost 50 other kids their lives.
In high school I dated a girl whose family was Christian Scientist, and they forewent 'traditional' medical care...... until the girl, as a toddler, got very sick. When faced with the possible death of their child, they chose real science over "Christian Science".
Although I do not think vaccines 'cause' autism, I do not consider it a zero percent chance that they might increase the possibility. But I have seen no evidence presented that would make me think that the risk of vaccination exceeds the benefits. So if you are an adult I have no problem with you refusing any treatment with proper informed consent. But we must protect the children from irrational thinking parents.

If anyone isn't bored yet, this issue comes up with Jehovah's witnesses and minors as well. With rigorous informed consent, I will allow an adult to die rather than transfuse. But to do so for a minor we would require a court order to withhold life saving blood transfusions, not just the parents' instructions. I have not practiced at a pediatric hospital for the last 26 years, so the pediatric issue doesn't come up for me anymore.

Thanks Doc, always value your input regarding anything medical
Excellent post
"If anyone isn't bored yet"
Give yourself more credit :-)
I am never bored with your posts
Keep it up :-)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 20th, 2017 at 8:54:56 AM permalink
Nareed
Why is Trump intent on killing the small aviation-related businesses in and around Palm Beach, Florida?
February 20th, 2017 at 9:22:59 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
If your evidence for vaccines causing autism or other harm comes from Andrew Wakefield, then I'm not going to listen. He's a quack and a fake who was -actually- doing what people claim big Pharma is conspiring to do. He's been thoroughly debunked, up and down, left and right.

I've not seen further evidence that suggest vaccinations cause harm. I've seen plenty where unvaccinated people cause harm to themselves AND others. The anti-vaxers will jump and moan and say that it can't possible effect other people. Yet it does. And the reason why some diseases are now rare and mostly not fatal is BECAUSE of the vaccination program.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
Page 6 of 6« First<3456