United Drags Passenger from Plane

Page 13 of 13« First<10111213
May 5th, 2017 at 2:06:08 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: petroglyph
Why does it matter who sits in a seat that has been purchased by a customer? Does it matter if I buy theater tickets who sits where or who goes to the show at all? Bull crap. The guy paid for a seat, he deserves to use it how he sees fit.

There are contract rules.

But the bottom line is that they very probably didn't check in the toddler. Ergo the seat showed as empty, since the ticket holder never checked in.

Quote:
Do away with the TSA entirely, have one armed sky marshal toward the back of the plane.

Oh, just do away with the TSA entirely. It's little more than security theater.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
May 5th, 2017 at 4:36:33 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I've been meaning to give my two cents on this. The incident happened while I was out of town so didn't see this thread until now.

First, I'm am happy as a clam that the industry is taking a black eye for this. It is long overdue. I applaud the passenger for not voluntarily leaving. He represents thousands of people who have been bumped, some after boarding. Unfortunately, he will be the one to get millions in a settlement, and everybody else who has been a victim, including me, will get Jack squat.

For those who don't fly much, the airlines routinely overbook. Usually they can bribe some passengers to take a later flight. However, sometimes nobody takes their offer, which is usually the re-booking plus about $400 in future flight credit. If nobody takes the offer, they deny boarding to whoever they choose. Usually they are smart enough to do this before anybody boards, but not always.

I've been denied boarding a few times in the terminal. However, once, on America West, I boarded and somebody else was already in my seat. I explained the problem to the Flight Attendant. After a conference among the other flight attendants, they asked for a volunteer to leave for a later flight and I believe $400 in credit. Nobody accepted. I asked if I could offer more out of my pocket, as it was an important business flight, and they said no. So, I left without putting up a fuss. Had I already been seated it may have turned out differently.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
May 5th, 2017 at 6:13:04 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I've had it happen twice leaving Vegas. I
always take the later flight and the $400
credit, why wouldn't I.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 5th, 2017 at 7:38:37 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
All this trouble comes from the pricing model. The airline hates empty seats but mainly wants to soak last minute ticket buyers. Nothing like these incidents would happen if it was simply a 'no overbooking' situation. If I had travel plans I would never be a volunteer simply because its just not worth the changing of plans. I once knew a flight wss grossly overbooked and new I would be offered free hotel and other goodies, but so what. I did not want to make changes even if it was a net benefit to me. I expect the airline to stick to its schedule and to stick to its word. Don't issue a ticket if you don't have a seat.

Fights, police, threats to jail you and your kids.... run an airline not some squabbling bunch of malcontents.
October 18th, 2017 at 6:17:00 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
The officers that dragged the passenger off the plane have been fired

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/17/us/united-airlines-flight-officers-disciplined/index.html

"improperly escalated the incident"
"involved in the deliberate removal of facts from an employee report"
"The use of excessive force caused the passenger to hit his face on an armrest, resulting in a concussion, a broken nose and the loss of two teeth"
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 19th, 2017 at 10:51:01 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: terapined
"improperly escalated the incident"

In simple terms, a customer service issue should not end with an injured, bloodied passenger.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 19th, 2017 at 6:23:59 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: terapined
The officers that dragged the passenger off the plane have been fired

I'm surprised it happened so quickly. When I worked in government, it was almost impossible to get fired.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
October 19th, 2017 at 6:50:27 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Wizard
I'm surprised it happened so quickly. When I worked in government, it was almost impossible to get fired.

How many Govt workers cause somebody to lose 2 teeth a broken nose and a concussion.

I have friend that works for the govt
He told me about a woman on his floor that ran a real estate business out of her govt office
I told my buddy, wtf, fire her
He said its hard to fire or get fired :-(
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 20th, 2017 at 5:14:47 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Get an assistant to do your work while you run a sideline business on government phones all day. typical.
I'd love to see a complete blood bath in the civil service.
Page 13 of 13« First<10111213