United Drags Passenger from Plane

Page 1 of 131234>Last »
April 10th, 2017 at 1:10:39 PM permalink
ams288
Member since: Apr 21, 2016
Threads: 11
Posts: 1908
United Passenger Dragged From Overbooked Flight

I've seen this blowing up on Twitter all day.

First the leggings, now this. I thought Delta was having the worst PR week possible of our Domestic airlines...

I'm most curious as to how they decided who to boot off the plane.
April 10th, 2017 at 1:15:09 PM permalink
Nareed
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 312
Posts: 10510
Quote: ams288
First the leggings, now this. I thought Delta was having the worst PR week possible of our Domestic airlines...


B...But, POLARIS!

Quote:
I'm most curious as to how they decided who to boot off the plane.


According to what I read late yesterday evening, they drew four names at random after boarding.

If so, therein lies the root of the problem. Regardless of the reason to bump people off the plane(*), you never, ever do it after boarding unless the issue develops afterwards (sudden change of winds, sudden change of weather along the route, stuff like that).



(*) Allegedly they needed four seats to ferry United crew to the destination. This doesn't quite mesh with my limited understanding of how airline crew commutes, but as noted said understanding is rather limited.
If Trump where half as smart as he thinks he is, he'd be twice as smart as he really is.
April 10th, 2017 at 1:21:15 PM permalink
ams288
Member since: Apr 21, 2016
Threads: 11
Posts: 1908
Yes, I've never heard of them bumping anyone off an overbooked flight after boarding either.

But I have never flown United (thankfully).

I fly Delta often and whenever they have an overbooked flight they make that announcement (BEFORE boarding) and offer $300 plus the amount of the one way ticket in flight vouchers. Then if nobody takes that, they start offering $600, etc. Happens all the time.

I know this incident was just a fluke, but it's gotta suck to work on United's PR team lately...
April 10th, 2017 at 1:21:47 PM permalink
Evenbob
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 106
Posts: 10692
Funniest thing I've seen today. An arrogant Asian
doctor who's too good to do as he's asked gets
dragged off the plane screeching like a woman.
I'm sure he just sat there like stump when he
was asked to leave, I've seen that act before.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 10th, 2017 at 1:23:03 PM permalink
ams288
Member since: Apr 21, 2016
Threads: 11
Posts: 1908
Quote: Evenbob
Funniest thing I've seen today. An arrogant Asian
doctor who's too good to do as he's asked gets
dragged off the plane screeching like a woman.
I'm sure he just sat there like stump when he
was asked to leave, I've seen that act before.


Well, I think it's pretty clear he's gonna end up with a lot of United's $$$$$$$ once it's all said and done. So being arrogant paid off I guess.
April 10th, 2017 at 1:32:50 PM permalink
DRich
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 18
Posts: 667
Quote: ams288
Yes, I've never heard of them bumping anyone off an overbooked flight after boarding either.



I have been bumped after boarding. I put up a big enough stink that they bribed me with enough airline credit that they didn't have to call security (I think it was $1500). Mine was on U.S. Air departing Charlotte for Las Vegas.
April 10th, 2017 at 1:33:06 PM permalink
Nareed
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 312
Posts: 10510
Quote: ams288
Yes, I've never heard of them bumping anyone off an overbooked flight after boarding either.


It's Trump-voter level of brain-dead stupidity.

As I recall, they did make offers before boarding, raised them, boarded the plane, made a higher offer, then removed four people.

See above.

Quote:
But I have never flown United (thankfully).


I never have, either, though I flew Continental a few times in the 80s. All were very pleasant flights.

Quote:
I fly Delta often and whenever they have an overbooked flight they make that announcement (BEFORE boarding) and offer $300 plus the amount of the one way ticket in flight vouchers. Then if nobody takes that, they start offering $600, etc. Happens all the time.


In my whole flying experience, I've seen bump offers only twice. the first was Texas International in the late 70s. I was travelling with my family IAH-MEX. The second was in 2012 with Volaris LAS-MEX. I considered the latter, as it meant an extra day free, and I was in no rush to get home, but just the thought of unpacking enough clean clothes, makeup, toiletries, etc. made me exhausted (I'd spent the previous night packing). In the end, no bump was needed for some reason.

Quote:
I know this incident was just a fluke, but it's gotta suck to work on United's PR team lately...


They can all get WH jobs once Spicer and his Pinocchio Squad get the boot :)
If Trump where half as smart as he thinks he is, he'd be twice as smart as he really is.
April 10th, 2017 at 1:34:02 PM permalink
terapined
Member since: Aug 6, 2014
Threads: 35
Posts: 2790
Quote: ams288
United Passenger Dragged From Overbooked Flight

I've seen this blowing up on Twitter all day.

First the leggings, now this. I thought Delta was having the worst PR week possible of our Domestic airlines...

I'm most curious as to how they decided who to boot off the plane.


The leggings, I support UA
Its common knowledge that if you are travelling on a free ticket due to simply being in the industry, you have to dress up a bit
I travel on these tickets and know the rules.

This dragging people off the plane is absurd
They had 4 UA employees that had to be a at work the next day
So hire a limo and driver
Instead they asked for volunteers, offering 800.00 voucher
A couple volunteered
The other 2, they let the computer pick
Probably who paid the cheapest fare with no frequent flyer status
Its a travesty
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
April 10th, 2017 at 1:38:24 PM permalink
Evenbob
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 106
Posts: 10692
Quote: DRich
I have been bumped after boarding.


I been bumped twice from my seat.
From Vegas. They ask for volunteers
and you get a voucher for a free flight.
I'll do it every time if I can. Happily.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 10th, 2017 at 1:41:24 PM permalink
Evenbob
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 106
Posts: 10692
Quote: ams288
Well, I think it's pretty clear he's gonna end up with a lot of United's $$$$$$$ once it's all said and done. So being arrogant paid off I guess.


Naw, it was all legally done. That the
idiot put up a fight is his own problem,
not the airlines. Rules are rules, whether
some classes of people think they apply
to them or not.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
Page 1 of 131234>Last »