The Trump Impeachment Thread

February 6th, 2020 at 12:54:50 AM permalink
Shrek
Threads: 6
Quote: Dalex64
In the eyes of the majority of the people libbies, he has been found guilty-but-not-punished.

Fixed that for you! 👍
February 6th, 2020 at 4:42:27 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: Mission146
A few Dems voted not to Impeach him in the first place.

Not the same. Impeachment is a lower bar than conviction. His acquittal was not bipartisan in any way. It's probably the way the framers intended it to be. The crimes must be so obvious that even the party of the President must have a large number of Senators see it the way of the impeaching party. The Democrats failed of course. They convinced ONE Senator to impeach on one of the two articles. They needed 20 out of 53.

No surprise. A partisan impeachment from the party that was going to impeach him no matter what. And a partisan acquittal from the party that was going to acquit him (virtually) no matter what.
February 6th, 2020 at 5:07:50 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
At least Good Morning America can be on as my wake up noise now without me wanting to shoot myself in the head. I like Strahan, but I’m tired of 97% of it being about the Impeachment/Removal stuff. Really, I don’t know what I think should be on GMA. I’m only half watching it, but anything not related to politics is a start.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
February 6th, 2020 at 7:05:52 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
The impeachment went much as it appears the framers intended. The House put together and presented a case to their members and voted to impeach (forever!). The Senate listened to the case presented by the managers and the defense team and voted to acquit (forever). The framers knew politics would come into play and set the bar for removal high enough that political impeachments would more than likely be rejected by the Senate.

This was not a strong case for conviction and removal from office. Neither was the one against President Clinton.

It would have been an interesting had Nixon decided to stay in office.

Now we'll wait on the next set of Articles of Impeachment from the Congress. I am sure Schiff and Nadler are hard at it...
February 6th, 2020 at 7:14:45 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
The writing was absolutely on the wall for Nixon, otherwise, I strongly believe he wouldn't have resigned. I have to think there were some backroom talks where many Senators said, "Look, Dick (nickname), we really have no choice here."
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
February 6th, 2020 at 7:27:08 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Interesting fact
The 48 Senators that voted guilty represent 18 million more people then the 52 Senators that voted to acquit.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 6th, 2020 at 7:29:32 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: terapined
Interesting fact
The 48 Senators that voted guilty represent 18 million more people then the 52 Senators that voted to acquit.

And 19 fewer than would be required to remove him from office.
February 6th, 2020 at 7:31:02 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: terapined
Interesting fact

The tyranny of minority rule...
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
February 6th, 2020 at 7:34:19 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: ams288
The tyranny of minority rule...

The same applies to the 2016 Election itself as neither candidate would have had the majority of the popular vote.
February 6th, 2020 at 7:52:55 AM permalink
AcesAndEights
Threads: 6
Quote: Mission146
The writing was absolutely on the wall for Nixon, otherwise, I strongly believe he wouldn't have resigned. I have to think there were some backroom talks where many Senators said, "Look, Dick (nickname), we really have no choice here."

Yes, that exact scenario happened. Known now as a "Goldwater moment" that never came to pass for Trump. Barry G and a couple others warned him that his support was evaporating in both bodies.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/azdc/2014/08/03/goldwater-rhodes-nixon-resignation/13497493/
"You think I'm joking." -EvenBob