The Trump Impeachment Thread

February 12th, 2021 at 1:24:36 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: TominNV
Quote: Mission146
I agree that they should be held to higher standards in the social sense. In the legal sense, everyone should be held to the same standards.

Put in handcuffs, booked, and left in jail cell over the weekend until a judge sets bail, with orders that he cannot leave the jurisdiction. He might beat the rap, but he can't beat the ride. It happens to other people for much lower charges, with much less evidence.

How much, "Less," evidence can someone possibly have than no evidence at all?
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
February 12th, 2021 at 1:26:00 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: SOOPOO
Thank you! But this is not a real trial as we know it. Heck, one of the jurors is the acting judge! All of the jurors could be witnesses! Each Democrat juror has already announced their decision BEFORE the trial! The entire process is frankly an embarrassment. It is theater.

Pretty much. I do like your dereliction of duty theory as grounds for Impeachment, though. Of course, you'd have to instigate an entirely separate (and new) Impeachment process starting with the House drafting and voting on an article.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
February 12th, 2021 at 1:49:48 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Pretty much. I do like your dereliction of duty theory as grounds for Impeachment, though. Of course, you'd have to instigate an entirely separate (and new) Impeachment process starting with the House drafting and voting on an article.

And THAT just shows the ABJECT INCOMPETENCE of the house managers!!!! That they did not have that second article of impeachment up for vote now is GROSS NEGLIGENCE on their part. When they (Senators) are now asking about the timeline of Trump’s failure to provide assistance, Trump’s lawyer rightly(but also sadly) pointed out it is IRRELEVANT with regard to the SINGLE article of impeachment.

Clown show. So weak....
February 12th, 2021 at 1:53:45 PM permalink
Tripdufan
Threads: 0

Are you trying to claim that there is absolutely no evidence that Trump incited the events on January 6th? Is that seriously your claim?
February 12th, 2021 at 1:55:43 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: Tripdufan
Are you trying to claim that there is absolutely no evidence that Trump incited the events on January 6th? Is that seriously your claim?

Using the criminal definition of, "Incitement," combined with earlier holdings of the SCOTUS, that is indeed my claim.
February 12th, 2021 at 1:56:13 PM permalink
Tripdufan
Using the criminal definition of, "Incitement," combined with earlier holdings of the SCOTUS, that is indeed my claim.

This is a criminal trial?
February 12th, 2021 at 2:00:45 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: SOOPOO
And THAT just shows the ABJECT INCOMPETENCE of the house managers!!!! That they did not have that second article of impeachment up for vote now is GROSS NEGLIGENCE on their part. When they (Senators) are now asking about the timeline of Trump’s failure to provide assistance, Trump’s lawyer rightly(but also sadly) pointed out it is IRRELEVANT with regard to the SINGLE article of impeachment.

Clown show. So weak....

I agree, but keep in mind that there is nothing that might prevent the House from drafting yet another article of impeachment on those grounds and voting on it. I'm not sure whether or not they would since this is all a sideshow anyway and x number of Senate Republicans are going to be in the bag for Trump regardless of what the Article of Impeachment says or whether or not it applies.

While I do think Trump was derelict in this particular instance, I will say that drafting an Article of Impeachment for, "Dereliction of Duty," is a bit of a slippery slope because it creates a precedent that you can impeach for that. The problem is that it then creates the ability to Monday morning quarterback anything into being a, "Dereliction of duty," not just what Trump failed to do.
February 12th, 2021 at 2:01:39 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: Tripdufan
This is a criminal trial?

No, but I'm not sure what other definition of, "Incitement," I should be using. Is there a civil one?

Also, you were talking about being handcuffed and taken to jail for the weekend...so I assumed we were using the criminal standard.
February 12th, 2021 at 2:04:33 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Tripdufan,

What, specifically, did Donald Trump say in that speech that should constitute incitement in your opinion? Please quote verbatim.
February 12th, 2021 at 2:12:39 PM permalink
TominNV
Quote: TominNV
I agree that they should be held to higher standards in the social sense. In the legal sense, everyone should be held to the same standards.

Put in handcuffs, booked, and left in jail cell over the weekend until a judge sets bail, with orders that he cannot leave the jurisdiction. He might beat the rap, but he can't beat the ride. It happens to other people for much lower charges, with much less evidence.

Charges were brought against him by a prosecuting body, a majority of representatives voted in favor of those charges, a majority of Senators voted that the charges should go to trial. That indicates a far greater level of evidence than police forces often use to arrest people. Sometimes those police forces go ahead with executions instead of arrests, even without evidence against their target. From this week: https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/nation/idaho-falls-man-killed-in-his-backyard-officer-mistook-him-for-suspect/